PDA

View Full Version : Is St Christopher one of the Schools that is on the FAFSA list?

tokorie
11-15-2005, 12:54 PM
I am planning to attend St. Christopher next year and was wondering if I can use Federal loans at this school. I mean does the school qualify or must one have to get private loans to attend the school?

The Republic
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I am planning to attend St. Christopher next year and was wondering if I can use Federal loans at this school. I mean does the school qualify or must one have to get private loans to attend the school?

St. Christopher's is not approved for Federal loans. The only offshore schools that are approved by the Department of Education for Federal loans are the big three Caribbean schools: AUC, Ross, and St. George. For now.

The Republic
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh, and read the threads regarding the investigations by the UK government into St. Chris. Best case scenario, everything will go as they have been going. Worst case scenario, St. Chris will by shut down by the UK medical authorities and you will have to go to the Senegal campus. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you go. Ask questions, especially about USA licensure.

tanisha
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh, and read the threads regarding the investigations by the UK government into St. Chris. Best case scenario, everything will go as they have been going. Worst case scenario, St. Chris will by shut down by the UK medical authorities and you will have to go to the Senegal campus. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you go. Ask questions, especially about USA licensure.

if i were you i'd hold out until everything is fine in totality. you don'twant to throw away money to a school that is not even sure that will exist in the future. be careful.

OLDPRO
11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi hope to have an answer by the end of this week but it may take longer as to the GMC. As far as the UK "Closing Down" St. Chris, Well they can't, that would be illegal since the school is a business here. There are threads here recently I posted that. St. Chris exisits here as per British law and is not regulated by the education authorities here. It is regulated by the country of Senegal. Oh and 2 loan companies, Terri and Loan to Learn. If Canadian you can get Some Canadian loans too.

neilc
11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
uh, whuds, i am sure if the UK decides that st chris has been defrauding students, and posing as a senegal med school without proper credentialing, there is PLENTY of grounds to shut them down. also, i would not be surprised if these sort of issues led to a law against international med schools operating on british soil being adopted. finally, if the GMC does not accept students for registration, and if IMED suspends the st chris listing due to fraud, than the school may not be "shut down", but the degrees would be 100% worthless.

advice is STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL, at least until this crap is resolved. if you are there, and you can, run away, find a school without these issues. thinking a GMC investigation is going to be finished in as short a time as a few weeks is pretty darn optimistic. i am sure the school will do what they can to woo the GMC, but given the history the GMC will likely take the time to do a thorough investigation.

OLDPRO
11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
uh, whuds, i am sure if the UK decides that st chris has been defrauding students, and posing as a senegal med school without proper credentialing, there is PLENTY of grounds to shut them down. also, i would not be surprised if these sort of issues led to a law against international med schools operating on british soil being adopted. finally, if the GMC does not accept students for registration, and if IMED suspends the st chris listing due to fraud, than the school may not be "shut down", but the degrees would be 100% worthless.

advice is STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL, at least until this crap is resolved. if you are there, and you can, run away, find a school without these issues. thinking a GMC investigation is going to be finished in as short a time as a few weeks is pretty darn optimistic. i am sure the school will do what they can to woo the GMC, but given the history the GMC will likely take the time to do a thorough investigation.

And how do you justify this? The school and a deligation from Senegal has met with the GMC. How can you post this when you are not in the UK to know what is happening? I would think that if no less than the Senegal was willing to meet with the GMC on St. Chris's behalf that this will be resolved.
Posting that the school will be shut down is irresponsable and I think you should reread your post. I see no indication that the school will be shut down. In fact the story has died here except for value md.

Miklos
11-15-2005, 03:13 PM
The only offshore schools that are approved by the Department of Education for Federal loans are the big three Caribbean schools: AUC, Ross, and St. George. For now.

Depending on your definition of off-shore, that's not necessarily true, as some medical schools in Central Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland) are approved for federal loans.

neilc
11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
And how do you justify this? The school and a deligation from Senegal has met with the GMC. How can you post this when you are not in the UK to know what is happening? I would think that if no less than the Senegal was willing to meet with the GMC on St. Chris's behalf that this will be resolved.
Posting that the school will be shut down is irresponsable and I think you should reread your post. I see no indication that the school will be shut down. In fact the story has died here except for value md.

i never said it WOULD be shut down, i said that it certainly COULD be.

the delegation from senegal means squat to me. it could be just a bunch of politicians coming to collect the charter money for all we know. remember when the NJ senator came to st chris? and how that was going to result in the change in NJ laws? guess what? the laws have not changed, st chris is in the same boat in NJ as they were years ago.

if the story has died, then why hasn't the GMC site been updated? it has likely "died" because the school admin is feeding the students that the students want to hear to get them to stay put and pay tuition. the admin knows that if the students did the smart thing (which, incidently, is exactly what whuds is doing) and transfered, the admin would be royal SOL.

if i were you, i would be very careful of trusting the school and what they tell you. for gods sake, they are proven to be less than transparent, and have a HUGE reason to lie...just because they get senegal "officials" down there does not mean squat yet. i personally don't expect the GMC to believe that all of the sudden these documents are going to mysteriously show up and the senegal officials are going to instanly be well versed on st chris. if st chris throws enough cash around, who knows what they can get these officials to say!

this could go either way. perhaps it is a huge misunderstanding. perhaps it is a huge scam. more likely, it is somewhere in the middle. but, for now, st chris is in the middle of a huge potential problem, and it is just plain stupid to get involved with any school that is facing these problems. being an offshore grad is hard enough without going to a school that can't find the charter it is supposed to be working under.

OLDPRO
11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Depending on your definition of off-shore, that's not necessarily true, as some medical schools in Central Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland) are approved for federal loans. Yes and to be fair they may be a better choice than this school. Exspecialy when it comes to loans.

OLDPRO
11-15-2005, 03:29 PM

the delegation from senegal means squat to me. it could be just a bunch of politicians coming to collect the charter money for all we know. remember when the NJ senator came to st chris? and how that was going to result in the change in NJ laws? guess what? the laws have not changed, st chris is in the same boat in NJ as they were years ago.

if the story has died, then why hasn't the GMC site been updated? it has likely "died" because the school admin is feeding the students that the students want to hear to get them to stay put and pay tuition. the admin knows that if the students did the smart thing (which, incidently, is exactly what whuds is doing) and transfered, the admin would be royal SOL.

if i were you, i would be very careful of trusting the school and what they tell you. for gods sake, they are proven to be less than transparent, and have a HUGE reason to lie...just because they get senegal "officials" down there does not mean squat yet. i personally don't expect the GMC to believe that all of the sudden these documents are going to mysteriously show up and the senegal officials are going to instanly be well versed on st chris. if st chris throws enough cash around, who knows what they can get these officials to say!

this could go either way. perhaps it is a huge misunderstanding. perhaps it is a huge scam. more likely, it is somewhere in the middle. but, for now, st chris is in the middle of a huge potential problem, and it is just plain stupid to get involved with any school that is facing these problems. being an offshore grad is hard enough without going to a school that can't find the charter it is supposed to be working under.

I have not told anyone that has asked to go to this school since this has happened until the GMC has changed the decision one way or another.

Heck I'm withdrawing officialy tomorrow. I have another school I'm going to.

But the fact is it may turn out okay in the end.

Yes the school should have never been in this position. But it has happened and life goes on. The school also has met with the students today, I have no Idea what was said though.

neilc
11-15-2005, 03:33 PM

and monkeys may fly out of my butt.

if this is the best that current and potential st chris students have to hope for, it says it all. betting your future on things maybe turning out ok is asking a lot. that is the point of all my posts.

i sincerely hope that those that can get out at an early stage do. and, i do hope things work out for the poor students that have worked all this time getting a degree and hoping for a job. and i really worry that those poor bastards that graduated with classwork from the missing years of 2000-2003 will get absolutely screwed. i am sure the states and the ECFMG are not going to be allowing people to work who have credit from unaccredited/unchartered schools. would SUCK to be in that boat.

bts4202
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
be afriad.. be very afraid!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure, be cautious, but st chris has been chartered since 2000 and the actual people resposible for accreditation in senegal are well aware of that. I do not know if the senegalese delegation has met with the GMC yet, but they are at least enroute and all the neccesary documents have been sent to the GMC. There is nothing any st chris person can really say right now to defend ourselves until it is resolved, but IMO, the resolution will come soon.

maximillian genossa
11-15-2005, 04:20 PM
You are right, the British government may not shut them down because they are a legal business, but without the charter from Senegal they will be issuing worthless diplomas, as good as toilet paper. What good it is for a business to do that? What good it does to issue worthless degrees? In that case, if the Senegal charter is dropped and St. Chris continues operating and issuing degrees, then, they may be commiting fraud because they are not, as far as I know, chartered by the UK and then the government can effectively shut it down. This is in theory of course, lets wait and see what happens.

Not to mention that if TERI finds out irregularities (example fraudulent activitie including misleading marketing0 they will loose their loans too.

You want to get into legal details? PM me, I used to make a living on it.

Hi hope to have an answer by the end of this week but it may take longer as to the GMC. As far as the UK "Closing Down" St. Chris, Well they can't, that would be illegal since the school is a business here. There are threads here recently I posted that. St. Chris exisits here as per British law and is not regulated by the education authorities here. It is regulated by the country of Senegal. Oh and 2 loan companies, Terri and Loan to Learn. If Canadian you can get Some Canadian loans too.

OLDPRO
11-15-2005, 04:25 PM
You are right, the British government may not shut them down because they are a legal business, but without the charter from Senegal they will be issuing worthless diplomas, as good as toilet paper. What good it is for a business to do that? What good it does to issue worthless degrees? In that case, if the Senegal charter is dropped and St. Chris continues operating and issuing degrees, then, they may be commiting fraud because they are not, as far as I know, chartered by the UK and then the government can effectively shut it down. This is in theory of course, lets wait and see what happens.

Not to mention that if TERI finds out irregularities (example fraudulent activitie including misleading marketing0 they will loose their loans too.

You want to get into legal details? PM me, I used to make a living on it.

Okay my point is the calim that has not been proven to be otherwise yet, is that the school was chartered in 2000 by Senegal. If the school is correct and Senegal backs them up there is no fraud. If the GMC still doesnt accept the degree after that there still is no fraud. If Senegal does not back up the school then the school is toast and so are the students.

maximillian genossa
11-15-2005, 04:30 PM
The best thing to do and wait and see what the OFFICIAL investigation says.

Neither me, you or anyone else in this forum knows what will happen or how the investigation is running.

Okay my point is the calim that has not been proven to be otherwise yet, is that the school was chartered in 2000 by Senegal. If the school is correct and Senegal backs them up there is no fraud. If the GMC still doesnt accept the degree after that there still is no fraud. If Senegal does not back up the school then the school is toast and so are the students.

neilc
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
one thing that should be considered as well...Senegal may back the school up now, but it may not be believed by those that matter. i mean, it sounds awfully dodgy for none of the paperwork to be available showing the school is chartered until after the investigation. the school shouldn't have even been operating without that paperwork on hand.

so, sure, maybe senegal has been convinced to be more organized now, but does that mean that st chris will get credit for it? it seems to me that anything done for st chris would be basically good for the present, but it may be hard to convince anyone that a legit agreement was in place before 2003.

again, this is just speculation. but, i would hesitate to say that everything is likely to be ok even if senegal backs st chris 100% now. seems a bit strange to have such a drastic change in the government response, and things can get done if money gets thrown at the problem. i am sure the UK is not blind to that possibility as well.

we shall see what happens. until then be very cautious.

maximillian genossa
11-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Don't speculate. Just wait.

one thing that should be considered as well...Senegal may back the school up now, but it may not be believed by those that matter. i mean, it sounds awfully dodgy for none of the paperwork to be available showing the school is chartered until after the investigation. the school shouldn't have even been operating without that paperwork on hand.

so, sure, maybe senegal has been convinced to be more organized now, but does that mean that st chris will get credit for it? it seems to me that anything done for st chris would be basically good for the present, but it may be hard to convince anyone that a legit agreement was in place before 2003.

again, this is just speculation. but, i would hesitate to say that everything is likely to be ok even if senegal backs st chris 100% now. seems a bit strange to have such a drastic change in the government response, and things can get done if money gets thrown at the problem. i am sure the UK is not blind to that possibility as well.

we shall see what happens. until then be very cautious.

neilc
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
thanks for the advice, genossa. but, i am just providing food for thought. some people like to gloss it over, and think that nothing will come of it. i like to give potential students the other side of the possibilities.

this entire thread is speculation, and it is good to mull over all the things which are possible, both good and bad.

Smythe
11-15-2005, 05:47 PM
be afriad.. be very afraid!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure, be cautious, but st chris has been chartered since 2000 and the actual people resposible for accreditation in senegal are well aware of that. I do not know if the senegalese delegation has met with the GMC yet, but they are at least enroute and all the neccesary documents have been sent to the GMC. There is nothing any st chris person can really say right now to defend ourselves until it is resolved, but IMO, the resolution will come soon.

en route? How by ship? By Camel?

and how would you know the travel plans of Senegalese officials?

Have you seen the actual documents from the BBC?

I have. Very conflicting reports from 2000

tanisha
11-15-2005, 08:44 PM

couldn't have said it better myself. BE SMART AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL UNTIL ALL IS RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!

tanisha
11-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I have not told anyone that has asked to go to this school since this has happened until the GMC has changed the decision one way or another.

Heck I'm withdrawing officialy tomorrow. I have another school I'm going to.

Yes the school should have never been in this position. But it has happened and life goes on. The school also has met with the students today, I have no Idea what was said though.

so you are offically withdrawing from your sweet lil' ol' st chris.must be nice whuds, must be nice. i told you so is all i have to say. who laughing last now?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.