PDA

View Full Version : Canadians going to Aussie med schools

Hanson
03-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Are there any canadians in the Aussie med schools?
by Anonymous (Login dkla)

Are there any canadians in the Aussie med schools?
If so does any one know how hard it is to get back to practicing in Canada after your done?

Posted on Oct 2, 2000, 11:36 AM
from IP address 24.114.113.6
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

Many Canadians at Flinders
by OzTexan (Login OzTexan)

In the first year class we have 4 or 5 Canadians. As far as getting back into Canada, it is VERY difficult even if you know people. You should not expect to go back to Canada for residency if you go outside US & Canada for school. Is possible though.

Posted on Oct 3, 2000, 12:42 AM
from IP address 203.101.38.95

Return to Index

Untitled
by Donnie (Login dkla)

Canada sucks anyways. Our laws here are like the old
Soviet Union.

Just a quick question. What kind of grades and Mcat
Scores do Canadians or Americans need to get into
Flinders?
What are the people like Ive heard its a lot like Canada
and most importantly ....Whats the Surfing like in
Australia anyways :)

Thanks

Donnie

Posted on Oct 3, 2000, 12:27 PM
from IP address 24.114.113.6

Return to Index

Flinders requirements and surfing

The surfing in Adelaide sucks...I think because it is in the Great Australian Bight. Of course, plenty of good surfing down the coast a bit. Great beaches though!! A large portion of the American and Canadian students live here in the suburb of Glenelg which is right on the beach! Can't beat it!

As far as lifestyle, it is very similar to the US and Canada. If fact, sometimes I forget that I am in a different country. Of course there are many reminders of home...McDonalds, KFC, KMart, etc...

As far as requirements are concerned, they are fairly similar to in the US. Although, they are a little more forgiving here is you are a bit low in the MCAT or in the GPA...I believe that last year the avg MCAT was about 10 in each section, but not sure.

Posted on Oct 3, 2000, 4:16 PM
from IP address 203.101.90.25

Return to Index

Internship in Oz, Part 2
by winthorpe (Login winthorpe)

I'll be going to Flinders Uni next year that is why I asked. So do I have to become a permanent resident in the next 4 years that I'm a med student there to have a shot at getting an internship in South Australia? And what is the procedure like for getting an internship in Oz? Is there something like the USMLE and Match to getting an internship in Australia? And once you finish an internship in your State, can you go interstate for postgraduate training? Thanks for all answers.

Posted on Oct 1, 2000, 2:17 PM
from IP address 146.74.92.213

Return to Index

internship
by oz-e (Login oz-e)

It is probably not a great idea to come to Flinders with the expectation of staying in Australia for training. Yes, if you somehow can get residency while here, then fine. In australia, internship is totally separate from training. The two have nothing to do with each other. Having said that, overseas students are welcome to apply for internships in australia. The problem lies in getting the proper work visa to do so once you've procured a job.

This may change, but as it is now, each state controls its own intern placements. In SA, all graduating students get an application and they rank the Adelaide hospitals on said application. Then, the students from Adelaide and Flinders are ranked and assignments are made. Overseas students don't get ranked. After EVERYONE else (even doctors graduating from foreign countries) is placed, then overseas graduates from Flinders and Adelaide can be considered. Getting the intern job does NOT get you the visa needed to actually work. This is currently a contentious point, and hopefully something can be worked out w the Dept of Immigration in future years as more and more North American students go to Australian med schools and may want to do internship here. How did the internationals get their spots in Tasmania and Alice Springs? Those places liaised w the immigration dept and worked out the visas. Hospitals in SA don't seem so keen to help w the visa end of the process.

Posted on Oct 1, 2000, 5:13 PM
from IP address 203.23.145.163

Return to Index

Internship in OZ
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox)

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to Oz-E's excellent post above. He is right - as an international student, you will receive your placement LAST. Thus, it is unlikely that you will be able to stay at one of the
larger teaching hospitals in Adelaide, but rather places like the Queen Liz or Alice Springs.

Several of the US students have had VISA problems; frankly I'm not sure why the government is refusing to extend their visas, but suffice it to say that it is not a guaranteed event.

It is true that intern and registrars (residents) work *much* shorter hours than in the US; however, on the average the length of training is about 1/3 longer than in the US. It probably all comes out in the wash, but it does seem to be a much more humane way to learn and take care of patients.

Finally, please be advised that if you do decide and are allowed to stay in OZ for your internship, it will NOT transfer back to the US for your residency. Thus, although you will be working for a year, and get paid, do not expect that it will enable you to jump into a PGY-2 spot in the US. You will essentially be repeating that year in the US.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Dec 24, 2000, 7:13 PM
from IP address 24.13.250.207

Return to Index

Internship in Oz
by winthorpe (Login winthorpe)

Can you get an internship in Australia if you graduate from a medical school there but are not a permanent resident of Australia? Or are internships strictly for residents and citizens of Oz? And how is their internship compared to America?
Somebody once told me that it is much less demanding than what it is in the U.S. and that interns usually work 50-60 hours per week and are on call only once a week. Is this true?

Posted on Sep 28, 2000, 5:14 PM
from IP address 128.114.143.89

Return to Index

depends
by anon (Login joechan)

Depends on which med school you are going to. If you go to Flinders, then you are ONLY allow to do it in the state of South Australia(for international student). As an international student, you are NOT eligible to apply for internship any other state. International students are pretty much stuck at the state where they graduated. Go to Sydney, stuck at NSW. Go to Melbourne, Victoria. But even then, you are not guarrantted a spot. But from past experience, it is not too hard to get it. It's just impossible(by rules and regulation of internship)to go to another state.

Posted on Sep 29, 2000, 11:22 AM
from IP address 205.188.192.34

Return to Index

not all true
by Anonymous (Login oz-e)

Actually,

Overseas students attending flinders have done or are accepted for intern spots at both Alice Springs and Hobart. It seems only to be NSW that is so vehement about not allowing in overseas students that didn't attend Sydney Uni. Then, with Victoria, they don't even accept Australians from interstate med schools.

As far as the hours, yeah, way less than the US. Never more than 60h, plus "on call" means you stay till about 10pm admitting new patients, not having to back at the hospital until 8am next day. Finally, all overtime is paid in Australia unlike in the US. Now, the exchange rate, that's another story, ouch.

Posted on Sep 30, 2000, 5:28 PM
from IP address 203.23.145.163

Return to Index

really?
by anon (Login joechan)

Oh sorry for the wrong info. I didn't know it that well cuz I am from new south wales. I guess nsw is really anal about it cuz they have many spots available and they don't even want to fill it will overseas students coming from other states.

Posted on Oct 1, 2000, 10:48 AM
from IP address 205.188.195.26

Return to Index

OzTexan, please give me more info
by samer (Login samer333)

hi OzTexan,

I got your reply to my post. Thank you.

However, I need to know how is flinders associated with Columbia, Yale and UMN. I mean, do you go to do hospital clinics in columbia after two years in Aust, or do you do your residency in columbia after four years in Aust? And is it for SURE that you will get into Columbia or Yale when you go back to USA?

I have so much to ask. But first I need to know the basics before I go with the details.

I hope you are having a great time in Flinders med school. Study hard man.

Samer

P.S. school UMN, what does it stand for?

Posted on Sep 26, 2000, 2:09 PM
from IP address 149.68.168.119

Return to Index

More Info

In the 4th year, you have the option of doing 6 months of your rotations outside of Adelaide...Therefore, you could go to the US, England, or even Kenya- wherever!

Flinders has an "official" affiliation with Columbia so Flinders is guarenteed a number of rotations there through an exchange type program. We also have a number of unofficial affiliations, including Yale, UCLA, and University of New Mexico. While there is no guarentee of a rotation at those institutions, they are friends of the university so it is a bit easier. In addition, you can organize your own rotations at other locations.

As far as residency is concerned, you are never guarenteed a spot anywhere, but places that are familiar with your university are probably more likely to appreciate the caliber of education that is received.

Any more questions?

Posted on Sep 26, 2000, 8:05 PM
from IP address 203.101.38.146

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.