PDA

View Full Version : Immigration to Australia, Flinders, Sydney, and others

Hanson
03-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Canadians at Australian schools...
by Ungella (Login Ungella)

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on Canadians that attend Australian medical schools. I am aware that it is pretty close to impossible to practice back in Canada if you are a foreign medical graduate. That is not really my concern though as I could easily accept practicing in other places in the world, in fact I find that possibility most intriguing. Is it possible for Canadians who get their degrees in Australia to eventually practice in Australia? How does it work to practice in the United States if you graduate in Australia? I just want to know what my options would be if I choose to get a medical degree abroad. The more I look into this, it seems that there are so many difficulties in terms of Visas, finances, waiting times, etc. If anyone can offer any advice that would be great. I just want to know what I could be facing in the future if I follow this route. Thank you.

Posted on Oct 29, 2000, 3:02 PM
from IP address 206.75.216.130
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

canadian at sydney
by reid (Login sreid)

It's not difficult to practice in Canada if you get your medical degree in Australia (or other commonwealth countries for that matter), depending on which province you'd like to practice. However, under current policies it is VERY difficult to do your residency here and much easier to go to the US. I expect these policies will change over the next few years due to Canada's current doctor shortage. If you want to stay in Australia you need to get permanent residency status. I'm heading to the University of Sydney this February.

Posted on Nov 22, 2000, 5:59 PM
from IP address 216.66.143.86

Return to Index

Do you need a degree or 90 credits?
by Anonymous (Login jimjones)

And the MCAT is a definate? When's best to apply for fall matriculation? I guess its too late for 2001. Australia sounds like a great place to study.

Posted on Oct 21, 2000, 11:15 PM
from IP address 24.69.48.15

Return to Index

Degree
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox)

Unlike US schools, the Australian schools require an undergraduate degree from an accredited university. The MCAT is definitely required but there are not course requirements as in the US. However, you would be well advised to have taken the basic science courses anyway as taking the MCAT and starting medical school without them is terrifically difficult.

The timeline varies, but generally the schools starting accepting the centralized application around April (or 10 months before starting), with interviews around July/August/September and marticulation beginning the following February.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Dec 24, 2000, 7:16 PM
from IP address 24.13.250.207

Return to Index

question?
by samer (Login samer333)

hello all,

For every US offshore med school, there are good reasons for why US students go there and then come back to do residency in USA.

I would like to ask the US students who are in Australian med schools or those who already graduated "what are the really good reasons for why one may or should consider Australian med schools?" The reason I am asking is because I am interested in applying to Australian med schools next year.

Kindly post your comments to my question. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for your answers in Advance.

Samer

Posted on Oct 20, 2000, 9:19 AM
from IP address 149.68.170.206

Return to Index

One Word...QUALITY!
by OzTexan (Login OzTexan)

The majority of offshore medical schools are degree factories. The medical schools in Australia are parts of actual universities, with actual accreditation. They have real hospitals, do real research, and have quality teaching programs. The schools in Australia are considered on par and even better than many schools in the U.S.

As far as residencies are concerned, if you want to do internal medicine at university of nowhere, sure you probably could do that in the offshore schools. If you want to do anything competitive, you need to go to a decent school- in Australia.

Have you read anything about international medical programs? Australia is the best in the world, the offshore places are not even close!

Posted on Oct 20, 2000, 8:47 PM
from IP address 203.101.90.86

Return to Index

more questions to OzTexan

Hello ozTexan,

Thank you for your response.
I did hear that Australia is the best place in the world to do internal medicine. I am glad to hear that again from you.

I remember from previous posts that you are in Flinders. How's it going there?

I want to be a cardiac surgeon in the future, which means after med schools I have to do 5 years of general surgery and then two years subspecialty of cardiac surgery.

If I decid to go to Flinders or the second best Australian med school (is I get in, that is), then what are my chances of going back to USA and have a residency in a good school, and practice in a respectful hospital?

I heard that if you finish from caribbean med schools and want to do surgery, then you most probably have to work in a bad (or ****ty) hospital. Does that how it goes if you are an Australian graduate?

And by the way, am I too late for applying for the 2001 entering class for Flinders? Or Sydney? Or Melbourn (forgot how it is spelled)?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks in advance.

Samer

Posted on Oct 20, 2000, 9:00 PM
from IP address 149.68.88.40

Return to Index

more questions to OzTexan

Hello ozTexan,

Thank you for your response.
I did hear that Australia is the best place in the world to do internal medicine. I am glad to hear that again from you.

I remember from previous posts that you are in Flinders. How's it going there?

I want to be a cardiac surgeon in the future, which means after med schools I have to do 5 years of general surgery and then two years subspecialty of cardiac surgery.

If I decid to go to Flinders or the second best Australian med school (is I get in, that is), then what are my chances of going back to USA and have a residency in a good school, and practice in a respectful hospital?

I heard that if you finish from caribbean med schools and want to do surgery, then you most probably have to work in a bad (or ****ty) hospital. Does that how it goes if you are an Australian graduate?

And by the way, am I too late for applying for the 2001 entering class for Flinders? Or Sydney? Or Melbourn (forgot how it is spelled)?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks in advance.

Samer

Posted on Oct 20, 2000, 9:01 PM
from IP address 149.68.88.40

Return to Index

Residency placement depends

Samer-

I wish I could say yes or no to your question regarding your pursuit of cardiac surgery. The answer is that it depends on a number of factors including your USMLE scores, performance in your surgical rotations, and who you know. As you know, cardiothoracic surgery is a very competative field, but it can be done from here. Last year we had a graduate land an orthopedic surgery residency at UC Davis I think...

As far as applications go, it is too late for this year because the decisions were made in August. However, if your scores are stellar, I would go ahead and send them in, you never know when someone might drop their slot.

Posted on Oct 21, 2000, 7:28 AM
from IP address 203.101.38.83

Return to Index

Flinders
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox)

As a recent American grad of Flinders I can probably answer a few questions about the program, but wanted to clear up a misconception I see frequently floating about. A student last year DID match in Ortho but NOT at UC Davis. He did an elective at Davis, but is doing his residency in Detroit, MI.

I am currently interviewing for Gen Surg positions and at no time has issue with my school of choice come up. The issues have been USMLE scores and letters from US faculty - which I have. Although I have *no* way of knowing whether or not schools that have already rejected me (ie, didn't invite me for an interview) have based it on my education at Flinders, I rather suspect its my average USMLE scores.

IMHO, you will need to do well on Step 1, do some 4th year clerkships in the US (thereby securing some US faculty letters) if you are interested in pursuing a surgical residency. Then again, those steps are important for all students.

Best of luck...

Posted on Dec 24, 2000, 7:02 PM
from IP address 24.13.250.207

Return to Index

Degree????
by Kanwal (Login Kanwal)

When you graduate do you get an M.D. or an MB,**???

Posted on Oct 19, 2000, 7:46 PM
from IP address 205.160.191.218

Return to Index

At Flinders: BM/**

Posted on Oct 20, 2000, 8:40 PM
from IP address 203.101.90.86

Return to Index

U of Syd
by reid (Login sreid)

Anyone had an interview w/u of sydney? I'm awaiting word of accept/reject and wondering if anyone else has received a letter.

Posted on Oct 12, 2000, 12:20 AM
from IP address 216.66.143.34

Return to Index

Untitled
by TooCool (Login winthorpe)

Would you mind sharing your GPA and MCAT, b/c I am thinking of applying there next year. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 12, 2000, 9:57 AM
from IP address 128.114.143.20

Return to Index

grades
by reid (Login sreid)

My GPA is 3.3. As I understand, interview candidates are selected based on their GPA. I was interviewed before my MCATs had even reached their office, so as long as you have the required GPA (5.5 on their scale whatever that is?) you should get an interview. Once everyone has been interviewed they set the MCAT cutoff, which is based on the scores of the international applicant pool. Hope this helps.

Posted on Oct 12, 2000, 5:43 PM
from IP address 216.66.143.36

Return to Index

Immigrating to Australia
by winthorpe (Login winthorpe)

How hard is it to become an Australian permanent resident during your four years as a med student? The reason I ask is b/c I'm seriously considering staying in Australia to practice medicine once I finish med school. I've looked at the Australian Department of Multicultural Affairs web page, but it's not really helping me. I realize the process works on a points system and all, so I was wondering if anyone knew how many points a 22-yr old male, U.S. citizen, Australian med student, with no "special" accomplishements or unique talents would recieve. And are those points anywhere near enough to get residency in the four years I'll be in Oz? And is it ALL points-based or are there any means to getting permanent residency (except of course marrying an Australian)? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 3, 2000, 4:30 PM
from IP address 128.114.143.98

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.