PDA

View Full Version : Visas, Kimberli Cox, Dr.B, Living in Australia, MBBS

Hanson
03-15-2003, 03:00 PM
obtaining the visa
by Amber (Login tree_sap)

Hi Wade-
I found a good website that answered all my questions about getting the student visa for Australia. As you know, I am not done with the process either, but I understand why you might be unwilling to send your passport off to the embassy! If you are planning to travel to SE Asia before the program begins, I would definitely request the required documents from DIMA as soon as possible. The visa requires a medical screening (UA and chest X-ray) as well as the forms you can request electronically (but they will send via regular mail).

http://www.austemb.org/DIMA/

Sorry I am not an expert at this, but this is what I have learned so far. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, anyone planning on "seeing the country" before Flinders begins (1/29/02)?

Amber

Posted on Jul 12, 2001, 10:30 AM
from IP address 216.160.107.49
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

thanks amber
by wmg (Login wmg)

Hi Amber. How are things? That was a great URL, thanks. It looks like a pain in the butt because the embassy will not issue a visa less than three months from start date which means I'm gonna cut it really close. I want to spend two months in SE Asia/India before arriving. How did you hear 01/29? Is that the date we need to be there? Enjoy your time now, are you preparing or studying at all? What are your plans? Will you try and travel around Aus before commencing studies? I figure I'll see enough in the four years I am there. REMEMBER, Qantas honors Alaska Airlines frequent flier and only charges 10,000 miles for a two stop round trip ticket. My wife just left to spend the remainder of summer in Seattle, I envy you both. I would love a double skinny right about now...Wade

Posted on Jul 13, 2001, 11:44 AM
from IP address 161.223.167.84

Return to Index

alternative loans
by jjs12 (Login jjs12)

Does anyone know of any lenders, other than Educaid, that offers alternative loans to US citizens studying at Australian medical schools? Thanks.

jjs12

Posted on Jun 28, 2001, 9:31 PM
from IP address 24.237.10.153

Return to Index

Yep!
by Anonymous (Login OzTexan)

Try SallieMae and Chase.

Posted on Jul 2, 2001, 5:33 AM
from IP address 203.134.19.8

Return to Index

Untitled
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox)

Bank of America also offers the Student Maximizer loan which is available to students at Flinders.

Posted on Jul 5, 2001, 3:52 PM
from IP address 150.231.14.59

Return to Index

Calling Dr. Cox...
by JosephArveson (Login JosephArveson)

Miss Cox--

I have read with interest many of your posts here and at studentdoctor.net. If you don't mind, I have 2 questions--

1. a month or so ago on this forum you posted something about setting up ALL your US rotations in your fourth year. Was that 2 six week rotations? Or were you able to do more than that here? Reading the Flinders website leads me to think you have to do a fair number of thise rotations at affiliated places down there.

2. Also, not to be a pain in the bottom, but you are a moderator over there--my email has changed, do you know how to shange that in my profile?

3. OK, One more question... Does Flinders have a set-up that allows you to take a DM, MCh during or after your specialty training by dissertation or other means?

Anyways, like I said, I enjoy your posts...You are clearly a really nice and moral person and I would be proud and confident to have you as my doc...

Best Wishes, JA

Posted on Jun 28, 2001, 7:26 AM
from IP address 64.39.206.82

Return to Index

Found answer to one question.
by JosephArveson (Login JosephArveson)

Sorry....I found the info on the DM program...looks like you have to jump thru some hurdles other DM programs don't have...

Thanks, JA

Posted on Jun 29, 2001, 6:03 AM
from IP address 64.39.206.134

Return to Index

Flindesr

******...As I stated in my email, apologies for taking so long to answer. I don't travel this forum frequently and have been a bit busy.

So others may have the info: Flinders "officially" lets you do 12 weeks of electives abroad (with permission) during the 4th year. The remainder are required to be done in Australia. However, with special permission you can also apply to do your 6 week Undesignated term in the US and perhaps also your Rural Term. Of course, you can always do a rotation during your vacation but since you have no other time for vacation during the year (ie, just in 1 block) it might be tiring.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the server at SDN; even I cannot change my profile. I've asked Lee to look at it as most of us use free email servers (which the new script doesn't accept).

Hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 5, 2001, 3:51 PM

Return to Index

OK to transfer to OZ school from Caribe???
by bruce (Login LuChang)

I'm starting this fall but didn't look at Aussie schls. I'm thinking of just transferring for the 2nd yr or so. Has anyone done this? I'll be attending AUC (American Univ of the Caribbean). I am dual (US/Aus) citizen.

Posted on Jun 27, 2001, 6:54 PM
from IP address 63.21.144.130

Return to Index

unlikely
by DrB (Login ********)

I went to SGU for a term and then decided to go to Flinders. I will start over.

Posted on Jun 27, 2001, 7:09 PM
from IP address 12.72.160.236

Return to Index

not as unlikely as you think
by pinoymax (Login pinoymax)

i am presently studying in the philippines but i have plans to transfer to an aussie school. i have contacted uni of queensland and it is possible to transfer, but i think only the uni of queensland accepts transfer students.
according to them i will be required to take a test or to prove that i am qualified to start from the second year.
i think you guys should give it a shot. fees are about 30K a year.

Posted on Jun 27, 2001, 7:59 PM
from IP address 65.197.150.124

Return to Index

sgu vs flinders
by wmg (Login wmg)

Hello. I was in a situation somewhat similar to your own. I juggled the SGU vs Flinders question and rather than start at SGU opted to begin Flinders this February. If I may ask, what compelled you to leave SGU after a term? Are you happier at Flinders? Any info on your decision would be appreciated. Thanks, Wade.

Posted on Jun 28, 2001, 8:32 AM

Return to Index

Untitled
by DrB (Login ********)

I will also start in February.

I had a couple of reasons for the switch.

For one, I am a huge fan of PBL. I have gone to case oriented schools in the US (I attended the Darden School at UVA) and I use case method teaching in my own classes. (Case method is used in business schools and is similar to PBL.) At SGU, education consisted of memorizing HUGE lists of useless facts. While I certainly accept that you need to know facts, you don't need to memorize every fact that everyone has managed to discover about the human body. I do fine at the memorization game, but I think it is a very inefficient use of time and a boring way to learn. I think I retained 20% of what I memorized (which is probably typical). While I believe SGU provides an adequate education, I found the approach very tedious.

I also have an interest in research. A Caribbean MD may be OK in clinical work, but it will definitely not get you far in academia. Flinders is a real university that is well recognized in the US.

Some other considerations:

Flinders costs about 1/2 of SGU.
I would rather live in Adelaide than in Grenada.
You don't have to move around for clinicals at Flinders.

Posted on Jun 28, 2001, 4:27 PM
from IP address 65.204.251.231

Return to Index

Transferring

As others have mentioned, it is possible. I can speak for Flinders however, and I believed they used to have a policy of not taking transfers from the Caribbean (fearing that it would damage their reputation). Therefore, students who wish to transfer are made to start over - if the poster below is doing this, he is the first one allowed to, I believe.

Posted on Jul 5, 2001, 3:54 PM

Return to Index

kaplan down under?
by wmg (Login wmg)

Hello. Can anyone tell me if Kaplan offers courses in Australia? It sounds like there is on-line stuff available but live classes might be good. If so, when are they offered? I would hope during the summer break (Nov-Feb). Thanks.

Posted on Jun 25, 2001, 8:24 AM

Return to Index

Nope
by OzTexan (Login OzTexan)

Kaplan does not offer courses here. Some people just go home over the break and take the course. Now Kaplan has an option for books and 30 days in the study center as well as several others.

Posted on Jul 2, 2001, 5:35 AM
from IP address 203.134.19.8

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.