PDA

View Full Version : Apartment, Flinders, Kimberli Cox, DrB, Aussie

Hanson
03-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Interaction with Others
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox)

IMHO there is little interaction with Adelaide students. Reason largely being that we are isolated from 1 another; we don't rotate at the same facilities often and when we do its only 1 or 2 short rotations. The curriculums and ages of the students are a fair bit different as well. There used to be a yearly inter-school "sculling" but it doesn't always pan out. Otherwise there are few to no social activities scheduled with them.

However, if you met an Adelaide student with whom you would like to socialize it wouldn't be discouraged (despite the interschool rivalry)! ;)

Posted on Aug 1, 2001, 9:44 AM
from IP address 150.231.14.40
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

apartments near campus
by Amber (Login tree_sap)

How difficult is it to get an apartment near the medical center? That sounds like the choice location, but would a 1st year actually find one in January? Do many students room together to share bills? Any tips on finding a good place early and not getting stuck in the dorms or undergraduate student housing?

I am getting the impression that Flinders is in a suburb of Adelaide, true? If so how big is it? Adelaide may be a small city for you guys, but it is bigger than the largest city in my area!

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Amber

Posted on Aug 7, 2001, 5:05 PM
from IP address 216.160.104.41

Return to Index

Flinders

Flinders is located in Bedford Park, a suburb of Adelaide. I've never seen a population listing so cannot comment on its size but there is really no distinction between Adelaide proper ("downtown") and the suburbs - it is just continuous civilization from the city through the suburbs.

There are not large apartment complexes there like in the US. Most students either rent houses (often times with classmates) or small flats - similar to duplexes in the US. The Flinders Housing office maintains a list of available properties and of course, there are properties listed with real estate agencies and in the newspaper classified ads. I cannot comment on the difficulty of finding a place now. I saw lots of places when I was there and my trouble was finding a place which I liked (which met my sorority girl preferences ;) ). I understand that some of my classmates had some trouble - whether it was because they were young and had no rental history I'm not sure.

If you come early enough you should be able to find a place and not be stuck living on campus. Best of luck. :D

Posted on Aug 8, 2001, 9:10 PM
from IP address 150.231.200.172

Return to Index

Clinicals for American Students
by Hobbes27 (Login Hobbes27)

At Flinders, where do American students do their clerkships during MS3? Are they done in Oz with electives in the US or is it like off shore schools with American clinicals?

Posted on Jul 21, 2001, 12:15 PM
from IP address 208.150.59.248

Return to Index

answer
by wade (Login wmg)

I do not begin the course until February so my info may not be entirely accurate but I believe Flinders students do all of the third year at local affiliated hospitals in or near Adelaide or Darwin. Students are allowed to do several months of elective fourth year rotations in the US or elsewhere. Check the website for details

http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/GEMP.html

Posted on Jul 24, 2001, 10:25 AM
from IP address 161.223.167.84

Return to Index

Clinical Clerkships

Wade is correct. All 3rd year and most of your 4th year are required to be done at Flinders and Flinders affiliated hospitals in Oz. Remember this is an AUSTRALIAN school not one designed for Americans. Therefore, you do the same curriculum as your Australian counterparts but are allowed a few weeks during your 4th year in which you may, with permission, do electives abroad (including in the US).

Hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 24, 2001, 12:46 PM
from IP address 150.231.200.203

Return to Index

Untitled
by Joe (Login joechan)

Permission to do electives??!! Why such policy exists? Isn't it a good idea to allow Americans to do their electives as a stepping stone for residency?

Joe

Posted on Jul 25, 2001, 3:06 AM
from IP address 129.78.64.5

Return to Index

i think
by wade (Login wmg)

You need permission of curriculum advisors as well as good academic standing to go abroad for fourth year electives. This only makes sense doesnt it? You wouldnt want your school represented by a failing student that cannot fulfill the expectations of the position, would you? I think it is a good idea for Flinders to only let good standing students "visit" Columbia University or anywhere else in the world during the fourth year.

Posted on Jul 25, 2001, 7:48 AM
from IP address 161.223.167.84

Return to Index

Permission

"Permission" at Flinders is the same policy you'll find at any school.

Most schools, even US ones, require that you be in good academic standing to do away electives. Flinders is no different. Just as Wade stated, the policy is in place to allow for remedial work at Flinders for those who are not in good standing as well as guard the reputation of the program by not allowing sub-par students to rotate elsewhere. I have never heard of anyone in good standing being refused permission so it is not something to worry about and IMHO, is a reasonable policy to have.

Posted on Jul 25, 2001, 11:40 AM
from IP address 150.231.200.250

Return to Index

i thought
by joe (Login joechan)

I thought you meant OUTSTANDING. Sorry. It would be quite difficult to get Outstanding.

Joe

Posted on Jul 25, 2001, 7:34 PM

Return to Index

Untitled
by joe (Login joechan)

by the way Kimberli, do you know Michael S. Lee? How about Anthony? Jody Tversky? Do you know any of these people. Michael or Jody(I don't remember) said someone at Flinders made it to Ortho or Dermo. Is this true? I have met him couple weeks ago at the international student meeting, he seemed to have mentioned your name and that you are an American from Flinders. Are you a fourth year student at Flinders or a resident? I don't quite remember but he said something about you and general surgery. How's your career so far?

Posted on Jul 25, 2001, 7:40 PM

Return to Index

Flinders Students
by Anonymous (Login kimberlicox)

Hi ******...

I know a Michael Lee at Sydney but none of the names rings a bell at Flinders. Then again I left last June so wouldn't really know any of the first or second year students there.

I'm currently a General Surgery resident. The year before me a student matched into Ortho. I haven't heard about anyone getting a Derm spot, but then again, I haven't heard about the results of all of my classmates and there were a couple interested in Derm. Jillian Teubner would be the best source of info about that.

My career so far...pretty darn tiring and frustrating. My fellow interns and I think about quitting pretty much every day. I've been doing Paeds Surg the last month and switch tomorrow to SICU - probably not a moment too soon, although I'm on call tonight and it will most likely be heaps of trouble. I'm sure once I actually get to do some operating and procedures it will be more fun, but right now its more about learning ward work, suffering through being yelled at for not doing things right, etc. I typically work 105-110 hours a week but that is easy compared to say CT when you carry so many patients that you are up all night rounding on them before rounds with the Chief Resident.
Something to look forward to in December! :D

Hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 27, 2001, 5:52 AM

Return to Index

hang in there kim
by Joe (Login joechan)

Do you drink a lot of coffee to stay "energized"? Do you get free food? 110 hours/week!!! That's more than I can bear.

I hope you are feeling better. I heard things will get better as you progress through the years.

Good luck

Posted on Jul 27, 2001, 8:05 PM

Return to Index

Residency

Thanks Joe - I'll be fine. I just finished up Peds Surg and the SICU told me I don't have to come in until Monday so I have the weekend off!

I don't drink a lot of coffee (can't stand the stuff) but do have several Diet Pepsis during the day and just generally operate on personal energy reserves. I don't really get tired until I stop moving - then it really hits. As long as I'm up and walking about its not bad, I don't feel like falling asleep.

We get meal cards for when we are on call and there is a refrigerator which is stocked with food and drink which we can also access. Its not really generous but its adequate. And being in Hershey, there's lots of chocolate around!

Posted on Jul 28, 2001, 4:51 AM
from IP address 150.231.19.182

Return to Index

Hershey!!
by Joe (Login joechan)

REALLY??!! Is Hershey town really the origin of Hershey chocolate??? I like Hershey chocolate. I also like Toberlone, which (as you should know by now being in Australia for the last four years) is quite popular in Aussieland.

Have you been to the Hershey factory? How is the city of Hershey like? Is it close to Philly?

Posted on Jul 29, 2001, 6:15 AM

Return to Index

Hershey

Yes, Hershey PA is the origin of Hershey Chocolate thanks to Milton S. Hershey.

I have been to Chocolate World and Hershey Park (a great amusement park). The town apparently has 3 smells - Peanut Butter (which is today's smell), Chocolate and cow manure (from all the cows supplying one of the main ingredients in milk chocolate).

The town itself is small - you either work for the medical center or the factory basically. But it is only 10 miles from Harrisburg, the state capital and 90 miles from Philly. Baltimore is about 1.5 hours away and DC another 45 from there. Lots of stuff close by, a safe area and free chocolate in the hospital all the time! :D

Posted on Jul 29, 2001, 9:40 AM
from IP address 150.231.14.58

Return to Index

sounds interesting
by Joe (Login joechan)

Free Chocolate!! Yeah.

Oh...are you the only IMG there in the program? Just curious. Was it difficult to obtain license in PA.

Posted on Jul 30, 2001, 7:27 AM

Return to Index

Hershey

There are several IMGs in the Anesth, FP, IM and Paeds programs. It wasn't difficult for me to obtain a license in PA but there are several restrictions:

1) you cannot count any electives you did in PA hospitals while a student. Why? I do not know.

2) all electives must be at teaching hospitals with ACGME (or I assume Osteopathic approved) residencies.

3) all undergraduate education must be in the country that is offering you the degree or at affilated sites; ie, they do not accept Distance Learning programs for licensing.

There was a fair bit of paperwork outside of the ECFMG process - everywhere I did an elective I had to complete a form and send it to the program for verification. An unnecessary step IMHO since I had already had to do that for Flinders and ECFMG. There are probably other regulations of which I paid no heed because I figured they didn't apply to me but they may apply to other IMGs.

hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 30, 2001, 12:21 PM
from IP address 150.231.44.76

Return to Index

Very important
by Bones (Login val931)

What are the chicks like? Do the Aussie chicks dig Americans?

Posted on Jul 21, 2001, 8:12 AM
from IP address 193.248.75.227

Return to Index

Untitled
by Anonymous (Login tidy_kiwi)

No - they tend to think americans talk to loud :)

They dig kiwi rugby player types tho.....

Posted on Jul 21, 2001, 7:59 PM
from IP address 203.97.2.243

Return to Index

Aussie Chix

I'm told some like Americans but they tend to be the younger ones who are enthralled with the "MTV lifestyle" they assume the states is. Otherwise, Americans - men and women - are not generally highly prized as dates.

I think you'll find that there is little difference in Aussie women as compared to US women - some will like you and some will not. The major differences I noted were that many more Australians smoke than do Western US citizens, they are more comfortable with their bodies (ie, you will see many more women wearing midriff baring tops, women who perhaps not ought to be flaunting their excess flesh)and the teenagers seem more mature than their US counterparts.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 24, 2001, 12:49 PM

Return to Index

Interesting
by Bones (Login val931)

Sounds kind of like the French. However, they absolutely HATE Americans. No exceptions.

Posted on Jul 24, 2001, 6:02 PM
from IP address 193.248.168.153

Return to Index

need no speculation
by Joe (Login joechan)

Aussie "chicks" are like any other females in the world, they dig guys with a pleasant look, PERIOD.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.