PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living in Australia and GAMSAT

Hanson
03-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Total cost to atten aussie med!
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi all!
Could any one tell me how much does it cost annualy to attend flindders or Sydney? (tuition 32K+living +food+books+etc)

Posted on Mar 3, 2002, 4:39 PM
from IP address 137.82.13.188
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

1st year reply
by Anonymous (Login tree_sap)

Hi. I am currently a first year student at Flinders, I haven't checked this board since I arrived in Australia almost 2 months ago, so if you have anything you want to ask...feel free to email me.

I don't know what the total costs will be (as I am only a first year), but tuition alone is $30,500ish Australian, roughly $15K US/year (NOT BAD, trust me).

Housing is shockingly cheap! I pay less than $150 (US)/month for a shared house near campus. Some folks with cars are paying roughly 2x that to live on the beach. Even then, it is still better than the $600/month I was paying in the states to live in a rathole.

Food, books and everything else are pretty cheap in SA as well. I can't say it is not in Sydney as well, but I am really impressed at the prices of everything here. For example, textbooks. Medical textbooks are notoriously expensive. I bought an anatomy text back in the states for $180 (text, workbook, CDrom package) in September. The same book is in the school bookstore for Australian $100. All the physio books are roughly the same prices as what I would expect, except Aus dollars. Besides, they are all available on reserve in the library and you don't have to buy them unless you are a lazy bum like me and don't want to go there.

Airfare might be a concern. I used my frequent flier miles, so it wasn't a major factor. You're a heck of a long way from anywhere, so you might want to budget in a bit of travel money, so you can go see Sydney or Perth on the breaks (or Fiji for that matter).

I know that's not terribly helpful, as I am not planning on taking out loans until next year (and didn't have to set a budget right away). Maybe a graduate or 2nd or 3rd year can give you a better answer. In the end, I don't think cost should be your deciding factor on where to go to medical school. It is good to know if you are seriously considering an Aussie med school.

Check out Kimberli Cox's post a few months back, I think she might have been more specific.

Cheers (as they say here)!

Posted on Mar 4, 2002, 10:09 PM
from IP address 129.96.253.100

Return to Index

Thank you!
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi !
Thank you for that useful info.I would like to ask you a couple of questions more,if you do not mind.Could you please leave your e-mail on the forum(for some reason I could not get it from the web when I click on your name) or mail me ([email protected]) .Thanks for your time.
sn

Posted on Mar 5, 2002, 6:12 PM
from IP address 137.82.13.155

Return to Index

oops! sorry!
by Amber (Login tree_sap)

Hi! I thought you could access my email address off my post. My apologies.

Here it is:
[email protected]

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, I'll at least try to find out if I don't know.

I'm not Canadian, but the majority of intl students in my year are...so I can ask them specifics if you like.

Cheers,
Amber

Posted on Mar 10, 2002, 7:57 PM
from IP address 129.96.253.100

Return to Index

information
by Anonymous (Login spartanprosper)

i'm interested in applying to the program, could anyone please let me know the school's web page. Thank you

Posted on May 9, 2002, 12:42 PM
from IP address 64.12.104.152

Return to Index

Dr.Kimberly or anyone else please answer!
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi all!
I am wondering would it be possible to start the medical school in Australia (any school) as an international student and then after a year apply to permanant residency and, if get approved , only pay the lower fee as local students do? Has anyone done this in the past?, And also in your experience or from others which schools are relatively easier to get in? Greatly appreciate any insight.Thanks for your time.
sn

Posted on Mar 1, 2002, 2:51 PM
from IP address 137.82.13.188

Return to Index

answer
by pinoymax (Login pinoymax)

hi nimalan,
well a couple of people have thought about doing the same thing the only problem is the med schools kindda anticipated this, so the policy is if you apply and get accepted as an international student then you have to pay as an international student regardless of whether or not your status changes during your time at the school. so if you become a permanent resident after the first year you still have to pay as an international student for the remainder of the three years but the permanent residency status may help you in getting into a residency program(i think!). good luck mate.

Posted on Mar 1, 2002, 3:25 PM
from IP address 202.81.168.33

Return to Index

Thanks
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi!
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Posted on Mar 2, 2002, 1:13 PM
from IP address 142.232.134.94

Return to Index

How to convert undergraduate GPA on the 7 scale!
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi all!
I am interested in applying to Australian medical schools.Could anyone please tell me how to convert our north american undergrad GPA to the U of Queensland's 0-7 scale.Please give any link where I can find that info.I tried ACER website but failed to get a copy of the "Guide to Australian medical school". Any other info would be greately appreciated.For example what a GPA of 4.5/7 means in our 4 scale? Thanks for your time
sn

Posted on Feb 28, 2002, 7:29 PM
from IP address 142.232.134.94

Return to Index

Conversion
by Kimberli Cox (Login kimberlicox) [email protected]

I do not believe you are required to do the conversion. At least when I applied, the school(s) did the conversion for me - so I didn't have to bother, just submitted my US transcripts.

Hope this helps - otherwise I would contact the school(s) and ask them for suggestions.

Best of luck.

Posted on Mar 9, 2002, 5:25 PM
from IP address 150.231.44.74

Return to Index

Australian electives for US med student...
by Josh (Login DrJoshT) [email protected]

Hello all, I have read earlier posts about electives at Oz med schools, and was wondering if people had recommendations for where (I heard before Sydney and Melbourne) to do an elective, and which electives are more popular... Sydney lists its info on the website, but it's harder to find on others... Any info is appreciated!

Thanks, Josh

Posted on Feb 20, 2002, 11:04 AM
from IP address 128.125.196.150

Return to Index

Gamsat preparation
by Geoff (Login geoffrey001) [email protected]

I am an Australian living in London at present and will be sitting the test in March this year. I am trying to get my hands on any type of gamsat preparation exams other than those that i have bought from ACER. Does anyone know of any good practice exams, etc specifically for gamsat? Also, is there a syllabus for exam preparation?

Posted on Feb 7, 2002, 10:49 AM
from IP address 137.73.203.87

Return to Index

Re: Gamsat preparation
by Jimmy P (Login JPO2002) [email protected]

G'day mate,
I recommend Des O'Neill's preparation courses (although you have to come here to do them) - www.comptext.com.au.

www.ozimed.com has some exams, and they looked similar to the GAMSAT to me.

Otherwise maybe try and get some practice ones from ACER - www.acer.edu.au.

Hope this helps.

JP

Posted on Jun 5, 2002, 9:12 PM
from IP address 203.15.147.155

Return to Index

GAMSAT Preperation
by Dan (Login dcorkery)

Hi,

A great resource about the GAMSAT exam itself is available online at:

http://gmp.steinerfamily.com

There are several commercial courses, but you can also save your $$ and hire a tutor (such as myself). Tutoring is about $30.00 Australian per hour.

I've also prepared some information about the grad medicla interview. Check it out online at:

http://www20.brinkster.com/dcorkery/med_school_interview.htm

Cheers, Dan Corkery

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.