PDA

View Full Version : How does St. Christophers rank compared to Caribbean or Ireland schools?

Myst
11-02-2005, 04:32 AM
Hello
Im a Canadian, finishing 4th year university at University of Alberta with a specialization degree in cell biotechnology. My GPA is low (3.1), MCAT decent (34). My voluntary experience is average at best (maybe slightly below).

I was wondering, how does St. Christophers compare to Ireland schools or the Caribbean? What are the major differences between the three? Where would I have a chance at for getting in?

Thanks!

teratos
11-02-2005, 06:18 AM
What would your criteria for comparison be? You are going to get a bunch of opinion. G

OLDPRO
11-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Hello
Im a Canadian, finishing 4th year university at University of Alberta with a specialization degree in cell biotechnology. My GPA is low (3.1), MCAT decent (34). My voluntary experience is average at best (maybe slightly below).

I was wondering, how does St. Christophers compare to Ireland schools or the Caribbean? What are the major differences between the three? Where would I have a chance at for getting in?

Thanks!

Ireland are chartered in the country they are in, If you want all 50 states to possible practice in then the Big three in the Carrib and Ireland.

St. Chris cannot give you all 50 states at this time.

Yes you will get a lot of opinion here in the next few days!
Good Luck.

bts4202
11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
St chris is the best school of any school on the planet, medical and non-medical alike. We have the greatest students, faculty, and janitors on the planet!! No one can mess with us!!

Sorry, I just felt the irresistable urge to post like sbturner on the st matts forum. (no offense, just horsin' around)

In all seriousness, your question is much more complicated than a simple "school A is better than school B". I suggest that you ask pointed questions regarding each specific school in their own forum and then compare the answers you get. Part of the problem is that everyone is very proud of their school and most threads comparing school become a stupid fight that ends up sounding like "my school can kick your schools butt" or "your schools mama is so fat that she jumped up in tha air and got stuck!" Not exactley a productive way of communicating.

neilc
11-02-2005, 10:10 AM
as i see it, the better carib schools are a good deal, as they have universal approval and graduated/fully licensed docs in all the states. the irish schools are even better because they have the above, plus they are part of well established, well respected med schools that produce thousands of doctors who work all over the UK and the world.

the risks i see with st chris include the fact that they have no outside approval (so you cannot work in all states, and you have no real indication of how they will be recieved when they are evaluated by somebody), they operate outside of the country of charter, and they have a very short track record in terms of licensure.

as far as i can tell, most of the schools seem to do a reasonable job of educating students, getting good pass rates and getting people home to do a decent residency. the more established carib schools and ireland may have a slight edge when it comes to competitive residency, however.

but, in my view, the sticking point comes with licensure. there are many schools that can offer you no future limitations on where to practice, and have relative security in that regard. it seems foolish to me to accept limits (ie you can only practice in these states) before you even begin med school. lots of people do it, so they must not agree with my point on this, but i say consider it very carefully. regret is an awful thing.

neilc
11-02-2005, 10:11 AM
St chris is the best school of any school on the planet, medical and non-medical alike. We have the greatest students, faculty, and janitors on the planet!! No one can mess with us!!

Sorry, I just felt the irresistable urge to post like sbturner on the st matts forum. (no offense, just horsin' around)

freakin hilarious!:lol:

eljefe
11-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Ireland are chartered in the country they are in, If you want all 50 states to possible practice in then the Big three in the Carrib and Ireland.

St. Chris cannot give you all 50 states at this time.

Yes you will get a lot of opinion here in the next few days!
Good Luck.
Is saba among the toop three?

neilc
11-06-2005, 12:04 AM
i think the answer to this question about st chris has changed a LOT in the past few days.....looks like a school with lots of issues ahead. be very very careful.

bts4202
11-06-2005, 07:27 AM
i think the answer to this question about st chris has changed a LOT in the past few days.....looks like a school with lots of issues ahead. be very very careful.

Thanks for your update. The school looks forward to being reviewed by the GMC and when (IF, for the skeptics) our registation status is re-instated, we will have an even more solidified position in the UK.

The Republic
11-06-2005, 10:52 AM
If you can obtain admission to an Irish medical school, go there. With your stats, admission is difficult.

If you cannot do so, go to a reputable Caribbean school like AUC. With your stats, you will obtain admission.

Do not go to St. Christophers, even though they will accept you if you have a heartbeat. It is not a British school. It has a charter in Senegal. The British are upset over this and are refusing to accept degrees, and may well shut the place down. That is the worst case scenario. Preferably, the GMC will make a site visit and accredit the school. But do not go until status is finalized.

microphage
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
If you can obtain admission to an Irish medical school, go there. With your stats, admission is difficult.

If you cannot do so, go to a reputable Caribbean school like AUC. With your stats, you will obtain admission.

Do not go to St. Christophers, even though they will accept you if you have a heartbeat. It is not a British school. It has a charter in Senegal. The British are upset over this and are refusing to accept degrees, and may well shut the place down. That is the worst case scenario. Preferably, the GMC will make a site visit and accredit the school. But do not go until status is finalized.

omg... i can't believe u linked almost every word...

Hey BTS, this person does a better impression of stburner than u... :lol:

microphage
11-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your update. The school looks forward to being reviewed by the GMC and when (IF, for the skeptics) our registation status is re-instated, we will have an even more solidified position in the UK.

hell yeah. If all the paperwork checks out, SC can only get more popular. I'm betting they can even get a 4th building for the UK students(just try not to build it on top of a pizza joint this time or a brothel in the case of AUC). :D

The Republic
11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
omg... i can't believe u linked almost every word...

Hey BTS, this person does a better impression of stburner than u... :lol:
Microphage, I realize that I cheer too much. And I know that the quality of my posts have suffered because of it. Therefore, I now limit my cheering to my signature. I give my responses to topics in the main post. This is a mechanism I have introduced to increase the quality of my posts. Regards.

microphage
11-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Microphage, I realize that I cheer too much. And I know that the quality of my posts have suffered because of it. Therefore, I now limit my cheering to my signature.

that means every post!!!

:confused:

The Republic
11-06-2005, 02:23 PM
that means every post!!!

:confused:
Not really. People generally ignore signatures. For weeks, I had no idea what your signature meant, and I really did not give a hoot. Only last week, I tried to put myself on my ignore list, and understood the joke. In addition, in order to ensure that my signature is viewed as a signature, I have made the signature at a smaller font size than the main post.

The signature links also help alleviate the problem of people coming onto the board and asking common questions like "what is greenbook?" "what is the class size?" "how is the island?" etc.

bts4202
11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
YEAAAA AUC!!!

(That felt so dirty :lol:)

teratos
11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
YEAAAA AUC!!!

(That felt so dirty :lol:)

Dude, I think that is a TOS violation. G

bts4202
11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Dude, I think that is a TOS violation. G

It was sooo wrong, but felt, Oh, so right! :lol:

Bhoot
11-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree. You first have to decide what your goals are and what you can realistically achieve. To any student, FIRST try to get in a school in the US or CANADA, not because the offshore schools are sub-par, but for FUNDING purposes. Financial aid is much easier in your country of origin. If you do not make it in the application process or have other goals, check the school's IMED and WHO listing. Next check the state board/s of the states/provinces you are considering practicing in. Finally, make a decision based on your personal needs. When you practice medicine, your patients are not going to care where you went to medical school. They are going to care about how well you know your job and how well you listen to them. In that I can assure you. I was a pediatric nurse for 18 years, and parents never looked at those diplomas on the wall. They talked about how much time the doc spent with them, how the doc listened to what they had to say, etc. Residency does matter. Many state boards require you do a US residency, some want US clinical rotations. Do your own research thoroughly, as I did. Do not trust your best friend, an advertisement, your parents, or frankly all the internet drivel about which school is best. As a doctor you will have to make decisions based on your judgement. Start with your decision for medical school. Good luck.

tanisha
11-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Bhoot, I couldn't have said it better myself. you go ahead wit yo bad self. hahahah.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.