PDA

View Full Version : IUHS still open?

doogie
08-02-2003, 03:05 PM
I have received several "rumors" in email that IUHS has been closed or soon to be closed down. :( The few friends that I have that attend there have not heard of this.. and are very worried that if this is a rumor it could seriously harm the vialibility of the program. Does anyone know if the "rumored closing" is this true? If so why? :?:

maximillian genossa
08-03-2003, 01:20 PM
They claim to have 400 students worldwide, AMONG THEM 100 U.S. students. Their USMLE I pass rating has improved in the last 60 days. Still many questions regarding licensure, etc, due to the nature of their program.

kaplan
08-16-2003, 12:21 AM
what is it about their program that has problems?

azskeptic
08-16-2003, 09:11 AM
their program gives advanced standing to chiropractors,nurses,podiatrists,physicians assistants, and is via distance learning. Pretty iffy if you could get licensed.

kaplan
08-16-2003, 11:18 AM
:shock: My research through forums and the net has shown me there is tremendous skepticism regarding internet med school programs. As a current practitioner I would like very much the opportunity to maintain my practice and continue to move forward in my education. The US medical boards are very strict but they are also autonomous and omnipotant (spelling???). They have the ability to pass regulations and legislation so that the MD's can get certified and licensed to do almost any therapy in the health field. Yet other healthcare practitioners who have virtually the same training except they have specialized such as podiatry, chiropractic, dentistry, they have been forced to take the full programs in MD without being granted advanced standing. Clearly, I can see who is the boss of medicine. I am trying to swallow all this.

maximillian genossa
10-15-2003, 12:58 PM
It all comes down to politics and politicking. I , personally do not see anything wrong with allowing a profesional chiropractor, podiatrist or dentist who already completed basic sciences in a similar fashion than a regular medical student to be allowed to sit for the boards. A period of experimentation should be implemented with these folks, allow them to take the boards and see what the passing rates will be.

This is just a personal opinion. I do not have any vested interest in any Caribbean school or whatsoever.

AUCMD2006
11-21-2003, 04:40 PM
chiropractic anatomy, denatl anatomy isn't complete anatomy. the two dc's in our class aced the head neck and back part of the exams but struglled with the rest of us on the others so what does that say? also most schools will allow you to test out of a subject or audit it if you have taken it before but to give out right credit with demonstrating proficiency is wrong not to mention against the licensing guidelines. no shortcuts for medicine

doogie
11-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Chiropractic physicians that graduate from the National college of chiropractic actually have more hours of anatomy, anatomy lab, and neuroanatomy than many medical schools. National students take over 120 lecture hours of gross anatomy in the basic sciences..and 280 hours of gross anatomy lab! I have compared the curricula of numerous medical schools..state side and foreign.. Many of these programs offer fewer hours of gross anatomy study thatn NAtional College of Chiropractic ( and many other chiropractic schools)!

Chiropractic is a unique field. You cannot assume that all chiropractors have the same basic science preparation. Depending upon the chiropractic school ... the school may be a philosophy driven curriculum..and if this is this case then a hardcore basic science approach to physical medicine is not taught. Students in these schools still have to "clock" the minimum hours required by the national chiropractic educational accrediting council... In the science based/research driven curricula.. such as that of National College of Chiropractic.. the emphasis is on the basic science approach to physical medicine. The basic science curriculum at National College of chiropractic is identical in rigor and content to most medical schools. The chiropractic profession is divided over the very concept of basic science versus philosophy. To the general public chiropractic is chiropractic..However, if you talk a chiropractor and ask about the differences between schools.. Whether they attend Life in Georgia (AS philosophy driven as you can get) or National (as medical an approach to chiropractic as is possible).. All chiropractors will tell you there are definite differences in the educational emphasis of the basic sciences.

So, you really cannot base an opinion pertaining to chiropractors being permitted advanced standing upon the performance of two individuals in your class. I definitely agree that advanced standing should not simply be a matter of "transfering credits"... IF a student can demonstrate written proficiency, has the transcript as proof of having undertaken/completed the basic sciences, and this meets the medical schools equivalent of basic science curriculum hours.. then they should be granted advanced standing.

AUCMD2006
11-22-2003, 04:19 PM
i meant in practice, i know in school it is regular anatomy i should have said that after they get out and practice a while the other parts of the body aren't given much attention so they are probably forgotten. the chiro students actually said that anatomy at their school was more indepht as far as nerves and circullation they just forgot a lot b/c of lack of use i pressume. sorry i should have been more clear.

froggie
01-17-2004, 02:05 AM
Just wanted to set the record straight....Chiro anatomy is as good or better than med school anatomy. If you want more info then visit any chiro school web page to see how many hours are required.....I believe its actually about 150% more on average. My anatomy instructor stated that he uses the same tests and class structure as he did teaching at a Michigan med school. But I understand that most med students don't want to believe this because it might cause you to respect our education more. I have nothing against MD's and I believe their education is solid as is ours.

Froggie

P.S. I am disapointed that someone would say such a thing without first investigating the truth.

azskeptic
01-17-2004, 02:44 AM
Just wanted to set the record straight....Chiro anatomy is as good or better than med school anatomy. If you want more info then visit any chiro school web page to see how many hours are required.....I believe its actually about 150% more on average. My anatomy instructor stated that he uses the same tests and class structure as he did teaching at a Michigan med school. But I understand that most med students don't want to believe this because it might cause you to respect our education more. I have nothing against MD's and I believe their education is solid as is ours.

Froggie

P.S. I am disapointed that someone would say such a thing without first investigating the truth.

http://www.chirobase.org/03Edu/lattanze.html

maximillian genossa
04-23-2004, 11:42 AM
The school changed management, still operating and many students have done well on their USMLE's (hard to believe, but true). Neame and ****** are gone.

maximillian genossa
05-03-2004, 06:59 PM
They just admit them into the ELP program if the student wants to. Such things as advanced placement is not correct. I worked there for 2 years and got out. They may have many deficiencies, but they DO NOT GIVE ADVANCE STANDING. I think you posted your opinion, not facts. I still know some students there, 2 chiropractors, and they are in the elp program. They were never offered advanced standing. Their website is innacurate in this aspect and never bothered to correct it. What they really mean is they will allow you to go into the elp program directly as a health care profesional.

Feel free to PM me if you want to go into further details.

FLK
05-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to set the record straight....Chiro anatomy is as good or better than med school anatomy. If you want more info then visit any chiro school web page to see how many hours are required.....I believe its actually about 150% more on average.

Now I understand.
For a long time I wondered just how DC's could see those subluxations.
Now I see it's the ramped-up anatomy course that allows these things to be seen 8)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.