PDA

View Full Version : More info on Austalian med school

Hanson
03-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Help for overseas med students intending on studying in Oz
by Dapo (Login Dapo)

I'm a Sydney local who's hopefully going to be starting the GMP at USyd next year.

Having studied overseas for a year in my undergrad degree, I know how daunting and confusing it can sometimes be to be planning studies from the other side of the world.

So, if anyone has any questions about Sydney, Sydney Uni, Australia, Australians or whatever, please feel free to bounce them off me, and I'll try to answer them.

Local students will find out if they've been accepted probably sometime between 31 October and 8 November. Fingers crossed!

Dapo

Posted on Oct 14, 2002, 6:54 PM
from IP address 203.15.147.155
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

Forgot to leave your e-mail add
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi!
I tried clicking on the e-mail link but did not work.Could you pls leave your e-mail add.Thanks

Posted on Oct 18, 2002, 11:44 PM
from IP address 24.69.255.236

Return to Index

Here it is.
by Dapo (Login Dapo)

Sorry, it's:

[email protected]

Cya.

Dapo

Posted on Oct 19, 2002, 7:14 AM
from IP address 211.28.96.7

Return to Index

HELP me!!!!! Oz medical school loan info
by scott stirling (Login sstirling1)

has any one else heard from the university of sydney for medschool??(international) cuz in the acceptance letter they want a tuition check by november 9th for a lot of money... maybe I read it wrong or something but I'm scrambling like crazy working on my finacial aid stuff right now.. and please don't tell me I should rob a bank already thought of that..

Posted on Oct 12, 2002, 5:20 PM
from IP address 128.111.95.163

Return to Index

Re: HELP me!!!!! Oz medical school loan info
by yearofdragon (Login yearofdragon)

Congrats on acceptance!
I haven't received acceptance, so therefore I am waiting for my rejection letter, BUT I do have a friend attending the vet program and YES, you need to have probably at least 800-900US$ to hold your spot in the program. It's a percentage of the whole tuition. Basically, you either have the cash on hand, borrow from someone and pay them back when your loans come through, OR if you can depend on only yourself the easiest thing is to take the money as a cash advance on a credit card, deposit it in your bank, draft it to Sydney, then pay your credit card off when your loans come through. Where are you from? I'm asking because if you are American, then the Stafford loans should be quite easy, especially if you borrowed for undergrad. But that money won't come through until February when the full tuition payment is due. So cash/credit will be needed as well when you first get there to secure housing, etc. It's a lot up front, but just borrow to compensate.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your scores?
Hope all this helps!

Posted on Oct 14, 2002, 4:46 AM
from IP address 205.181.102.135

Return to Index

Untitled
by Anonymous (Login yearofdragon)

Who else has heard from Sydney for the 2003 Medical Program? I'm assuming all offers for international are out?

Posted on Oct 8, 2002, 5:42 AM

Return to Index

Australia medical school loan info?

Hi, I'm a u.s citizen who has just been offered a spot at the university of sydney and plan on going. I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction in obtaining loans for med-school in australia considering it isn't a U.S school and I think loans are a little tricky.
Thanks!
-scott

Posted on Oct 6, 2002, 8:27 PM
from IP address 204.210.57.87

Return to Index

Re: Australia medical school loan info?
by Anonymous (Login yearofdragon)

Congrats on Sydney! Did you receive notification via email?
From what I understand you need to go through TERI (www.teri.org) . . . Sydney deals with them on a regular basis for international students from US, Canada. Right now you aren't able to borrow through the US Government but they are currently getting that status changed.
Hope that helps!

Posted on Oct 7, 2002, 6:22 AM

Return to Index

re: monash etc.
by BSM (Login BSM)

Anyone here get accepted to Monash?
trying to figure out what they want in terms of grades, and if they look at anything else (doubtful, considering the application, I know).
also : what does " a few" mean? does anyone have any idea as to how many international students get accepted every year?

for the people who got interviews for postgrad schools
(flinders, sydney, queensland etc.)
What (generally) were your grades/MCAT like? are low grades made up for by high MCAT?
also (this is a REALLY dumb question) how can I figure out how to convert my percentage undergrad grades to a
4.0 scale? very confused about it.

Posted on Oct 5, 2002, 6:35 PM
from IP address 66.185.84.69

Return to Index

att. Pinoymax
by wasabiii (Login Wasabiii)

Hey Pinoymax,

It's been a while since I last talked you. But if you look at the last few postings, you should remember I have asked you about transfering to Australlia. Anyhow, I went though with the process, and the administration officer sent me a e-mail saying that my application for transfering has been "favorably received". And a formal letter from the head of school will be sent to my home address. I just wasn't sure what she meant by that. Did she mean that I have been accepted to the program? I have been trying to contact the person who sent me the e-mail, but she is always busy. That is why I am asking you. Perhaps you can tell me what she meant by that based on your experience.

Sincerely

Wasabi

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 1:06 AM
from IP address 202.78.97.15

Return to Index

sup dude
by pinoymax (Login pinoymax)

hey wasabi dude,
sorry i posted my reply to your post on the second page, so scroll to the bottom of the main screen and click on 2, my post's there.

later....

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 6:02 AM
from IP address 202.81.160.24

Return to Index

Re: sup dude
by Anonymous (Login wasabie) [email protected]

Hey Pinoymax,

Good to hear from you again. Ya, I have sent all the requirments: the transcript, a letter explaining why I want to transfer,and a description of the program. After all that, I got an e-mail from them. I am just a bit anxious to find out if I have been accepted or not. Anyhow, I guess I will just have to be patient about it. How are you doing anyways? Everything going according to your plan?

Wasabii

Posted on Oct 4, 2002, 6:42 AM
from IP address 202.78.97.15

Return to Index

hey
by pin (Login pinoymax)

yeah, everything's going pretty well, if you don't here then in a week, then i think u should maybe give 'em a call.
take it easy man.

Posted on Oct 4, 2002, 7:21 PM
from IP address 202.81.160.24

Return to Index

Interview !
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi Every one!
I just finished my interview this week.The interview was not that bad after all.Anyone wants to discuss about the interview or any other thing for that matter please feel free to e-mail me @ [email protected] .Good luck for those of you who are preparing for their interviews.
Sincerly
sn

Posted on Sep 30, 2002, 10:52 PM

Return to Index

Re: Interview !
by Greg (Login pigfiddle)

Hey Vincent,

Glad to hear the interview went well. Congratulations on your success so far! I'm really glad there were no 'curveballs' thrown at you during the course of the interview. All the best and hopefully I'll be seeing you in Australia come next February.

Greg

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 12:32 AM
from IP address 24.69.255.204

Return to Index

Re: Re: Interview !

Dear vincent
if you have thought of or have loan info about australia med school(specifically usyd) I'd be very very appreciative. Glad to hear your interview went good.

thanks
-scott

Posted on Oct 6, 2002, 8:35 PM
from IP address 204.210.57.87

Return to Index

Congrats
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi scott!
Congrats on syd acceptence.As far as i know teri loans and bank line of credits are the only other options other than stafford.I do not know whether U of syd is accepted under federal stafford for loans.Good luck.keep me posted if you find out any other sources.Thanks
Vincent

Posted on Oct 9, 2002, 10:16 PM

Return to Index

Info regarding medicine in Australia...
by Mark (Login dr_em) [email protected]

Hello everyone. I have been considering moving to Australia and going to medschool. I am currently a chiropractor and would be applying as a mature international applicant... So hopefully some of you can clue me into the process. I am mostly interested in finding other links to sites with advice for the Australian med scene.

I am looking at the year 2004 for my application and realize the requirements (ie. GPA + MCAT or UMAT. It would be great to find summarized stats for entering classes at all Med schools (ie. avg age, avg GPA, MCAT, gender etc). I am having difficulties finding good Australian search engines to look for pre-med sites and so forth. Please send me some good links! If anyone is interested in the same process in Canada, I can provide info for here..

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.