PDA

View Full Version : More Aussie Med Schools

Hanson
03-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Is any one going to University of Queensland- pls reply
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi everyone!
I will be starting my studies at UQ next year.Please reply if you are on the same boat.It would be nice to know.Thanks
vincent

Posted on Oct 26, 2002, 9:47 AM
from IP address 24.69.255.236
Edit Message Delete Message Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Is any one going to University of Queensland- pls reply
by Anonymous (Login med_hopeful)

Hi sn,

Congrats on being selected for UQ!

Still waiting to hear from Flinders. As I am in the UK at the moment, I'll get notified later than those in Oz. Would be great if you let me know if you know of anyone who's been offered at Flinders.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted on Nov 1, 2002, 2:26 AM
from IP address 62.129.121.32

Return to Index

Hi Mike!
by sn (Login nimalan)

Hi Mike!
Sorry, I do not know anybody who got accepted to Flinders ,but i think you still have a good week or two.I would not start worrying yet. Take care !
Vincent

Posted on Nov 1, 2002, 5:55 PM

Return to Index

Hi Vincent!
by Mike (Login med_hopeful)

Thanks a lot for your post. Just got the news that I've been offered at Flinders.

All the best,
Mike

Posted on Nov 7, 2002, 12:18 AM

Return to Index

Questions From Ontario
by Brett (Login brettvalliant) [email protected]

Hello,

I am a student from Ontario who is sick of being put on waiting lists. I am a competitive applicant in this system, but as time moves on I am considering applying to the GMP's in Australia as well as a few Caribbean schools. I know I am going to get some bias here, but can anyone tell me what the best school in Australia is? If there are any Canadians in this forum, could you help me out? I don't know if I care about coming back to Canada under the current conditions for IMG's (although things are looking up), but I am considering a career the States - I am also a big fan of Australian living (from brief experience).
Thanks,
Brett

Posted on Oct 23, 2002, 7:22 AM
from IP address 129.100.133.135

Return to Index

Canuck here!
by Anonymous (Login gwhite)

Hey Brett,

I'm from Vancouver and was in pretty much the same situation as you two years ago. After doing a ton of research on overseas medical schools, I decided on Flinders. For one, this seemed to be the school that was mentioned the most amongst doctors I talked to here in Vancouver and from some helpful people at CARMs. Knowing that Flinders is internationally renowned for its medical program is definitley a good thing. Australia seems to be a destination of choice, especially for Canadians, and I'm sure that if you decide on going, you will be happy with your choice. I don't really feel qualified to start ranting about the merits of Flinders over other schools, and I don't want to persuade you into choosing one program over another. It's going to be YOUR LIFE, so YOU have to decide for yourself. What's right for me is not necessarily right for you. I basically just went with my gut...it felt right, for me personally (I know, I know, its corny) to commit to this school over others, such as those in the carribean or in the UK. It's pretty scary to commit to something like this, where your future is not certain, but that's all part of the experience, and I can't wait to start next year at Flinders.

Cheers and good luck!

Greg

Posted on Oct 24, 2002, 12:44 AM

Return to Index

the four Aussie schools
by tree_sap (Login tree_sap)

Hi. I am just finishing up my first year of med school in Australia so I thought I'd tell you what little I know. I'm not Canadian, so I won't comment on returning to Canada.

There are 4 post-graduate universities in Australia. I go to Flinders, but I'll try to avoid sounding biased. All four use the PBL system (as do some of the undergrad), but each has features that may be more attractive than others.

1. University of Queensland-lovely old buildings, Brisbane-good weather, not as many international students as Flinders or USYD(20). I've heard it is a huge program, almost 300 students some years. Of course, you should check their website for details.
2. University of Melbourne-Actually a 4.5-5 year program with both undergrads and postgrads, 10 international spots/year, tough to get into, but the people I've met from there are really great.
3.USYD- I didn't even consider SYD because their program was so large, but has 40 international places. I was hesitant to move to the big city, but don't think I'd be worried about it now. Rent is outrageous, which just adds to your expenses. Program is excellent and haven't heard a bad thing about it.
4. Flinders-Adelaide, not a huge place, but big enough. Cheapest rent in the country, 30 international students in a total class size of 95! I don't have a bad thing to say about the school, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

Choose your school wisely. If you don't like PBL, don't come to Australia, because that's all you'll get. If you are a bit older (like me), PBL is perfect because I don't think I could sit in lectures for 2 more straight years. Been there, done that.

So any specific questions, feel free to ask!
Cheers!

Posted on Nov 3, 2002, 10:06 PM
from IP address 210.50.228.5

Return to Index

Moving beyond lectures...
by Brett (Login brettvalliant)

Hi there,

Thanks for the responses. I am applying to all four programs, as there seems to be no real downfalls with any of them. I look forward to the PBL approach, but am concerned that there may be a lack of guidance at times. Is this valid, or are the tutorial leaders/ classmates/ and profs in a position to aid one in learning objectives? I too have spent enough time in a traditional teaching curric... it seems PBL is a superior way to prepare for a career in med.

Could you elaborate on the costs of living in Adelaide? I am told that 16000/yr in Australian dollars is needed for Sydney. This is very expensive for Canadian students.

Posted on Nov 4, 2002, 7:10 AM
from IP address 129.100.133.152

Return to Index

PBL and Adelaide
by flindaphile (Login flindaphile)

Living in Adelaide is very reasonable. Typical shared rent is around $A100/wk. You can even find places at the beach with pretty reasonable rents.

PBL is definitely geared for adults - you will not be spoon fed. The good thing about PBL is that you don't spend time memorizing endless detail that you will forget anyway. I think the course emphasizes the important things and gives you a good foundation. You will not spend endless nights memorizing all the insertions, origins, nerve supply and blood supply for every muscle in the body. I think the program is very strong in physiology and pathophysiology. Physiology has continuity because of the system based structure of the course. The rest of the material is fairly piecemeal. Thus, I think the program is pretty weak in biochem, micro and pharm. The good news is that you learn what you need to be a competent doctor. The bad news is that it is insufficient preparation for the USMLE. On the other hand, most of micro, pharm and biochem are crammable once you have the basics. Flinders students have done well on the USMLE.

There is a bit of a tradeoff in context. The problem-based format gives one context; however, I sometimes miss the discipline based context that helps you to integrate facts. You have to do a lot of this for yourself at Flinders.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the program.

Posted on Nov 6, 2002, 3:56 AM
from IP address 144.139.61.241

Return to Index

Has any locals heard from Flinders?
by Mike (Login med_hopeful)

Hi,

Have the offers been made yet to local students for 2003 at Flinders. I haven't heard from them yet. Please reply if you know of anyone who has received an offer.

Many thanks,
(A quite anxious) Mike

Posted on Oct 23, 2002, 12:18 AM

Return to Index

good luck!
by tree_sap (Login tree_sap)

I wish you the best of luck on your admission to Flinders. I am currently an international student in first year. While our interviews were very different (as you will hear about) and the time scale was different, I can tell you what I've heard about the domestic students in my year.

I was accepted in May of 2001 for 2002 admission. I was shocked to find out that the first domestic students weren't notified until November at the earliest. Some of the students didn't find out until a week before classes began in January. One girl missed orientation because she had only found out she was accepted the day before and she was coming from interstate. I heard horror stories of people giving up hope for this year and making some very bold decisions (like buying a house interstate) and then finding out they were accepted. So, the international office is very on-the-ball and those students find out way sooner than the locals. Don't freak out that you haven't heard anything! It is possible you could be waiting a while...or of course you could hear from them tomorrow.

Good luck and hope to see you next year!
Cheers!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.