PDA

View Full Version : To DrB about Australian Med Schools

Hanson
03-15-2003, 03:04 PM
To DrB
by Anonymous (Login DJROCKY)

I have a question about Ross and AUC for u. since u seem to know a lot about various schools, i think u will give a fair and objective answer.

Which school would u recommend: AUC or Ross. i know this may not be easy to answer, but consider the following. AUC is on a better island so that's a definite plus, and it may have stronger basic science program b/c many top Ross profs have gone there. Ross is no longer cutthroat, and AUC isn't either. they both implement the shelf exam now...however, Ross uses shelf for 25-30% of grade while u only need to pass it at AUC (no grade). to take step 1, u need to pass all the individual shelfs OR the comp at AUC, while at Ross u need to get a 2.9 GPA to bypass the comp.

as far as clinicals go, Ross may be a little stronger b/c of more sites. all Ross students do clinicals in US, while half at AUC typically go to UK for 3rd year to avoid hassles in US. AUC doesn't have residency approval in NY, but i don't really care about that...i'm from CA.

both schools have similar attrition rates, and Ross has a slightly better pass % on step 1 probably b/c of more hurdles to pass to get there. the fall semester at Ross has about 300 students, while AUC has 200...whether that is good or bad i dunno. so based on all this: island life, basic science program, clinicals...what is your opinion? as u can tell, this is a hard decision, since the schools seem to be pretty evenly matched...and it's even more complicated b/c one school seems better for the first 2 yrs of school, while the other seems better for the last 2.

your advice will be appreciated. please providea detailed answer if u can. thanks and sorry for the long post.

To DrB
by Anonymous (Login DJROCKY)

I have a question about Ross and AUC for u. since u seem to know a lot about various schools, i think u will give a fair and objective answer.

Which school would u recommend: AUC or Ross. i know this may not be easy to answer, but consider the following. AUC is on a better island so that's a definite plus, and it may have stronger basic science program b/c many top Ross profs have gone there. Ross is no longer cutthroat, and AUC isn't either. they both implement the shelf exam now...however, Ross uses shelf for 25-30% of grade while u only need to pass it at AUC (no grade). to take step 1, u need to pass all the individual shelfs OR the comp at AUC, while at Ross u need to get a 2.9 GPA to bypass the comp.

as far as clinicals go, Ross may be a little stronger b/c of more sites. all Ross students do clinicals in US, while half at AUC typically go to UK for 3rd year to avoid hassles in US. AUC doesn't have residency approval in NY, but i don't really care about that...i'm from CA.

both schools have similar attrition rates, and Ross has a slightly better pass % on step 1 probably b/c of more hurdles to pass to get there. the fall semester at Ross has about 300 students, while AUC has 200...whether that is good or bad i dunno. so based on all this: island life, basic science program, clinicals...what is your opinion? as u can tell, this is a hard decision, since the schools seem to be pretty evenly matched...and it's even more complicated b/c one school seems better for the first 2 yrs of school, while the other seems better for the last 2.

your advice will be appreciated. please providea detailed answer if u can. thanks and sorry for the long post.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.