PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Books and Supplies

Bedazzled
10-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I was just reading through posts and thought it may be useful for there to be a sticky with a list of books/flashcards/review series/etc recommended for each semester. There are a lot of posts each coming semester with information about this and it may be helpful to try and condense it all into one thread.

Just an idea...

Christen

Junito
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Anatomy: Netter's book is a must
BRS Anatomy
Netters Flashcards

Histo: BRS Histo Book

Physio: BRS and/or the Constanzo book

Behavioral: High Yield Behavioral

Path: Baby Robbins, webpath 9.0 (program)

Pharm: Pharm review for the boards (Lange)

Dr. Pt. 4: Bates

ICM: Pathophysio Blueprints

This is all from the top of my head. Feel free to add on to the list.

tremble3322
10-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Guyton physio is great- read the book evennthough it is massive b/c it will help you very much

Laurie S
10-29-2005, 10:01 AM
1. Anything for Neuro?

2. Is it best to purchase books from prior semesters when school starts?

3. How difficult is it to have acess to the library's books instead of purchasing?

4. Do students rely primarily on the teacher's notes, or by reading the text?

5. Off the subject.......How do students receive their mail? Do they use the school's mailing address or do they purchase PO boxes at the local Post Office?

Bedazzled
10-30-2005, 03:22 PM
I think it would be most helpful to list recommended items, required items and non-needed items by semester courses. If anyone wants to comment, that would be great!

For instance -- what books were necessary, what flashcards, review series were necessary? what items did you not use and would not suggest students purchasing?

mshah1
11-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Ok, So here's what I've used the past few semesters..which is by no means comprehensive but these are things that really helped me:

In general:
USLME first aid...a must
A medical dictionary

1st Semester:
Embryo: BRS
Histo: BRS and the required text
Anat: Big Moore (more info but more knowledge), Netters Atlas, AND Netters flash cards (I loved the flash cards and no matter what anyone says these have been the best cards i have seen for anat)

2nd Semester:
Neuro: the standfor CD for neuro was very helpful interactive tool, Usmle road map, and BRS (although you can get away with buying either or of the last two books but i liked both)
Physio: ...my most terrible class but I used the book and BRS..not sure what else can help anyone in physio..
Biochem: the Lippincott book is good, the blueprints, and BRS

3rd Semester:
Micro: the lange micro book..didnt buy a BRS for this..but BRS is generally a safe bet...for the class all you need is that book and use the first aid
Psych: High Yield behavioral science is good. That's all i used for the class
Path I: Robbins (big might be too much info..but i like alot of info), BRS, the Path robbins quesion book (was good with over all quizing and is USMLE format style questions..not essential..but a very very good buy)

4th Semester:
Path 2: same books as last semester will do
Pharm: I bought the lange..it's is working well...I wanted to get flash cards..didnt order them in time..so I make my own..which tends to be good
Genetics: I use the same blueprints i used for biochem and that's it. And keep your biochem lippincot...this will help you with the rna,dna, replication etc part of genetics

Patient Doctor: bates is good to get..If u cant get it first semester..definately get before your fourth...

Other items I got:
Underground questions and answers (good quizing for USMLE)
As far as patient doctor: I have my own stethescope, tunning fork, pen light, otoscope and opthalmoscope, BP cuff, and I think that is it. You dont have to get a otoscope and opthalmoscope..but it's good to have to practice with and you can get them cheap off ebay. I would definately get a BP cuff and a stethescope to practice with though.

That's about all i can think of for now. Oh, and the kaplan books they give when you come in are good resources too. So use those throughout your course.

Hope that helps

XLNC
11-09-2005, 12:36 AM
FOR PHYSIO, stay away from Guyton, use costanzo's stars book, its the best book out there.

Check out all the reviews for this book on www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)

JTP73
11-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Physio?
Biochem?
Neuro?

All BRS?

What's your recommendation for what to buy since the shipping is waived by University Books from 12/1 -12/16? Any of the "recommended" books?

p_in_da_wind
11-09-2005, 08:07 PM
where can i get a list of exact names and authors for first semester books... i did not get a list in the package sent by SMU... is that normal?

skidoc42
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Physio?
Biochem?
Neuro?

All BRS?

What's your recommendation for what to buy since the shipping is waived by University Books from 12/1 -12/16? Any of the "recommended" books?

Physio: Guyton if you have anyone else other than Dr. J. If you have Dr. J, just read his lecture notes he provides you.
Biochem: I ONLY use the BRS for review questions at the end of each chapter. The Lippencott's book is what the slides are mostly made of. I use the lecture slides for 90% of my study in biochem.
Neuro: I use "High Yield", and I have that on an adobe file, no need to buy! BRS is actually High Yield only just a hair more detailed. They have the same pics and everything.

Keep in mind, all these details are assuming you have the same profs for these courses next semester! Hope this helps. I'm sure people will have different oppinions about books. But these have worked very well for me thus far!! Take care JTP!

skidoc42 ;)

onesolo
11-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes that's normal... Go to the website and then click on the link for the bookstore. It will say 1st semester books.

SMU-Info
11-10-2005, 07:43 AM
The 2006 booklist is avaliable on our website. All of the required books are listed there.

http://www.stmatthews.edu/bookstore.html

SMU-Info
11-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Yes go to www.stmatthews.edu (http://www.stmatthews.edu) and click on the bookstore link. The 2006 booklist is now avaliable.

skidoc42
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't mean to be a jerk, and I'm not looking to start a war. But I have to say that several of these books on this "required" list are not needed. I know they're collecting dust, in mint condition in my closet!

skidoc42 ;)

shaugh350z
11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
It's so nice that I have a wonderful second semester KISS fan that is willing to hand down his old books....what a great guy he is!!!! :lol:

Sean

Bedazzled
11-10-2005, 12:58 PM
This was posted by SkiDoc and I thought it was useful for 2nd Semester!

Physio: Guyton if you have anyone else other than Dr. J. If you have Dr. J, just read his lecture notes he provides you.
Biochem: I ONLY use the BRS for review questions at the end of each chapter. The Lippencott's book is what the slides are mostly made of. I use the lecture slides for 90% of my study in biochem.
Neuro: I use "High Yield", and I have that on an adobe file, no need to buy! BRS is actually High Yield only just a hair more detailed. They have the same pics and everything.

skidoc42
11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
It's so nice that I have a wonderful second semester KISS fan that is willing to hand down his old books....what a great guy he is!!!! :lol:

Sean

YOU WANTED THE BEST YOU GOT THE BEST!! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WOLD......KIIIISS!!! You know it man...keep rockin all night and partyin every day!! :-P

skidoc42 ;)

onesolo
11-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Anyone want to pass down their first semester books? I have most of the BRS books for first semester but still need to purchase a few.

charger5001
11-12-2005, 01:45 PM
When I took neuro we used a program by Stanford medical that was called "Brainstorm." it is an interactive CD that was very good in my opinion. It is a bit pricey but there may be students who still have it.

sweetpea
11-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Brainstorm is actually in the library if you need to use it or download it

larryboy798
11-13-2005, 07:58 AM
How much does it cost to buy?

UFTim
11-13-2005, 03:18 PM
The 2006 booklist is avaliable on our website. All of the required books are listed there.

http://www.stmatthews.edu/bookstore.html

I understand, which could be false, that there are some new professors coming in to teach some 2nd semester clasess. Were the incoming professors consulted on what books they wanted the students to use, or is this a department derived list? This semester we had a new professor that didn't like the "required" textbooks. We didn't have to, but to follow his lectures it was wise to purchase new books. $$$$

MD999
11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Physio?
Biochem?
Neuro?

All BRS?

Physio: Guyton (you're gonna wanna keep this book for a long time) and the BRS

Biochem: Lippincott's

Neuro: HY Neuro with an imaging atlas.

Use those books and take notes in there. Refer to them while you're reviewing for boards and you'll be money.
Good luck.

Nimmuk
11-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Physio: Guyton (you're gonna wanna keep this book for a long time) and the BRS

Biochem: Lippincott's

Neuro: HY Neuro with an imaging atlas.

Use those books and take notes in there. Refer to them while you're reviewing for boards and you'll be money.
Good luck.

MD is right on it. Even though you can pass physio without looking at Guyton (the person who I bouught Guyton passed w/o even opening it) I still read each chapter. Remember, you want to "review" for step 1 at the end of basic scie. , not re-learn or learn the material. I feel that Physio in not being thought well, however, I am doing mybest to learn physio onmy own. Guyton is money!

Banker794
12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Blumenfeld is gold for neuro. It is a great reference book

JTP73
12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Anybody else have a different take on which semester 2 books to purchase?

Dr S told us HY and Roadmap for Neuro. Agree? Disagree?

And, does anyone have the link for the Biochem exams?

manleyjb
12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Anybody else have a different take on which semester 2 books to purchase?

Dr S told us HY and Roadmap for Neuro. Agree? Disagree?

And, does anyone have the link for the Biochem exams?

Neuro: HY was plenty for me but I took it 3 semesters ago with the great Dr.A. It covered everything he did and more.

Is this the biochem link you are looking for? http://www.biochemqpro.com/index.htm

JTP73
12-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Yep, that's the one, I think. I appreciate your help. Is it safe to assume that having access to these will be helpful?

Thanks!

manleyjb
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Yep, that's the one, I think. I appreciate your help. Is it safe to assume that having access to these will be helpful?

Thanks!

They are a good source for review. By all means DO NOT try and memorize the questions as some have done in the past. You might see 1 or 2 in exact form on the test as we did but mainly a good way to test your knowledge. If you can do those questions you will do fine on the exam. At least that is how it was when I took it. Although, when the site started, Dr. V told us about it as we were half way done with the semester by then, which was almost a year now. Wow how time flies when your having fun!!!

JTP73
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM

Keep in mind, all these details are assuming you have the same profs for these courses next semester! Hope this helps. I'm sure people will have different oppinions about books. But these have worked very well for me thus far!! Take care JTP!

skidoc42 ;)Everyone raves about Guyton, but I have to beg the question, "Am I really going to have time to read through this huge reference book during a 14 week semester?" With BRS on its way to me and much uncertainty about who will end up as the Physio prof, I am reluctant to cash in $100 (the green kind!) on a heavy-duty door stop.

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

I know, I know, Guyton is the supreme Physio book, but when it comes down to it, how will I benefit most from having it?

Please convince me that my investment (assuming I buy it) will pay dividends. Otherwise, I will try to work my way around it by using the BRS, lecture notes, and websites.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

ol' man
01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
JTP, trust me, if you don't read Guyton now, you will regret it later.

Junito
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
What about the baby Guyton? I used that instead of the huge book. I also thought the BRS for Physio was excellent.

Jeep23Guy
01-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I used mostly Kaplan with a little BRS and Guyton as my reference (and for further understanding). The guy on the physio Kaplan videos is great, but you gotta watch him at like 1.5-2 speed.

dawgfan
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I have the required textbook for Histo. and it has a lot of pictures. Will the textbook be sufficiet for using in lab or should I buy the Histo. Atlas?

JTP73
01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
JTP, trust me, if you don't read Guyton now, you will regret it later.Sold! You haven't done me wrong yet ol' man.

Thanks ol'man, Juni and Jeep23guy for the prompt replies. I am going to consider the Baby Guyton and then probably purchase the doorstop. I hope to put it to good use! ;)

shaugh350z
01-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Textbook is fine. If you need pictures, you can find MANY sites on line with slides...

Sean

dawgfan
01-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks, I've already spent enough money on books for this semester.

mdr72
07-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Looking for input on what to DEFINITELY buy for first semester including books, extra study material, equipment, notebooks, paper, binders, etc.......
I don't want to bring or buy TOO much but want to have what I will need to.

Thanks for your help!!

d4thking
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I thought I'd bump this post up, I'm definitely interested in a response. Anyone?

kapkaniMD
11-22-2006, 07:35 AM
if you do a search you should find plenty of info, but just to waste my time i will tell you some things, printer w/paper and plenty of ink, large 40-200+ gig. external hard drive, MOVIES, extra towels, 1-2gb thumb drive, laudry detergent (very expensive here), as much dry food as you can, a lock for a locker, a bunch of uniforms, an alarm clock, aloe lotion, snorkeling gear, hair trimmers (otherwise you will get a cheap horrible cut or pay a ridiculous amount), i will think of more but i got to run now

MDTOB
11-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Looking for input on what to DEFINITELY buy for first semester including books, extra study material, equipment, notebooks, paper, binders, etc.......
I don't want to bring or buy TOO much but want to have what I will need to.

Thanks for your help!!

Defenitely buy the most recent edition of First Aid for the USMLE! I could not stress this enough. Start reading and reviewing this book from day 1. I'm sure you'll thank me you did when it comes time for the Step!!

joshalicious
11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Dont waste money on textbooks either for first semester. You wont need anything other than BRS and a laptop... unless that is you happen to be like kapkaniMD - then you dont need books or a laptop....

traumajunkie
02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
I am a nurse and have decided to attend med school, even been admitted to 3 different schools, but anyways is Guyton really that good for Physio, We used it in human Phys in Nursing school and I personally didnt like it, but also are instructor was terrible, he used to be a vetrinarian and taught all the pre-med, biology, and nursing students it was horrible, this guy would have a quiz every week, the week before he would tell us what would be on the next weeks quiz and what to study, but we all soon learned to study exactley what he told us not to study as he would put the exact opposite quistions he told us not to study on the quizes he was horrible he needs to teach vet students he didnt know much about humans as he did animals, we were also supposed to learn how to do lab tests from his class the only things I really learned from him was how to do a blood count, type and crossmatch, and a UA.:evil:

drJane23
05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Heyy everyone! by any chance does anyone know what other books to buy for 1st semester? I know they have a list on the SMU website for fall 2007(1st semester students). But should we also get the flashcards for each class for example for anatomy class??? any help and advice would be appreciated:D thanks!!!

UFTim
05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Heyy everyone! by any chance does anyone know what other books to buy for 1st semester? I know they have a list on the SMU website for fall 2007(1st semester students). But should we also get the flashcards for each class for example for anatomy class??? any help and advice would be appreciated:D thanks!!!

I never used the Netter's Flashcards for Anatomy, but a lot of people liked them. I also purchased BRS for each subject in addition to the required text. The first semester you follow everything perfectly and buy all the books, but afterwards you find out which books and studying styles work for you.

Oluchi
05-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi all!

When buying First Aid and BRS books, is it best to buy the most recent one or does it matter? I'm starting Fall 2007- If I buy a 2003 BRS or First Aid, is that too old? How old is too old?

UFTim
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi all!

When buying First Aid and BRS books, is it best to buy the most recent one or does it matter? I'm starting Fall 2007- If I buy a 2003 BRS or First Aid, is that too old? How old is too old?

The problem with some older editions, especially First Aid, is that there were a lot of errors. They have corrected them in the newer editions.

drJane23
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Is Board Review Series(BRS) much better than High yield series??? What do you think is the difference between both of them? Does the BRS provide more info compared to high yield or vice versa??

Junito
05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
High yeild is just to do a rapid review (except for Neuro). I would read the BRS first then count on the High Yeild. I found HY for Neuro, Pharm, Micro, and anatomy helped me review some points prior to the boards. I of course counted more on the Goljan and Pass review. For Basic Sciences, get the BRS (or textbook depending on the class), learn the material well, and for prior to exams use the HY for review. That worked for me.

drJane23
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
thanks:) i'm going to take your advice and just buy all the required books and buy the BRS for each subject. and then later on use high yield if needed.

Anamarie13
06-16-2007, 04:02 PM
After checking out the book list... I plan to get all of the required books for sure but what about the additional, optional books for each course. For histology alone, there are 10 books... What would yall recommend?

Thanks!:D

911MD
06-18-2007, 08:59 AM
CHECK THIS THREAD OUT

http://www.valuemd.com/st-matthews-university-school-medicine/136965-1st-semester-book-list.html

Ruby_55
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
hey quick question for everyone.. im just getting my txtbooks etc and im a lil confused.. what is the difference btw First aid for USMLE, First aid cases for USMLE, and first aid Q/A for USMLE? :s Which ones are recommended?

drJane23
07-12-2007, 02:03 PM
yeah i'm bit confused on that too...can anyone clarify on which book for first aid to get.

thanks.

drjohnwebb
07-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I bought the text for each class. Moore for anatomy, Embryo (don't remember author), and Histo ( don't remember author). Then I got BRS for all 3. That is it. Text is in depth, can be too much sometimes, BRS narrows it down, but can be too little sometimes. If you listen during the class, then read the text chapter, then the brs, then go over the power point again, you will do really well.

Plus after you are here for a few weeks, you will get all your Kaplan books, which are really good too.

drJane23
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
oh perfect...yeah i bought already all those books you stated.
also, other students said that we should buy first aid and start using it once the semester starts until we take step 1 in 5th semester.. is it strongly recommended to buy all the first aid books or are the kaplan books given to us simply enough??

drjohnwebb
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I think kaplan will be fine. You CAN'T read all these sources. Not enough time in the day. You will do well if you read the power points more than once.

drJane23
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah i can imagine.

and the kaplan books...is it books for each class for example one for histo the other for anatomy, another for embryo....etc.?

how about for anatomy lab..is it like lab in undergrad? for example when you get tested you have diff body part structures around the room and then they put a stickie and you have to label the part...is it multiple choice questions or fill-in the blank???

my last question...so if you attend class listen carefully and write good notes and then go back home that day and review your notes and powerpoint slides and then read the chapters from the text followed by reading the BRS and then go back and review the powerpoints i should do great in all my classes...is that the way you should study and review? is that how you do it???
i know med school is nothing like our undergrad courses...i'm sure its 10 times more difficult so any advice on how medical students study for each class and what class you spend more time on studying would be very helpful.

drjohnwebb
07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
[quote=drJane23;634130]yeah i can imagine.

and the kaplan books...is it books for each class for example one for histo the other for anatomy, another for embryo....etc.?

how about for anatomy lab..is it like lab in undergrad? for example when you get tested you have diff body part structures around the room and then they put a stickie and you have to label the part...is it multiple choice questions or fill-in the blank???

Lab is multiple choice, since all board are, but, they are still hard. Lab time is slim, so you HAVE to go to all open lab times if you want to make good grades. Yes, they tag things, but is really obscure things or something they mentioned one time, but you are supposed to know it all.

my last question...so if you attend class listen carefully and write good notes and then go back home that day and review your notes and powerpoint slides and then read the chapters from the text followed by reading the BRS and then go back and review the powerpoints i should do great in all my classes...is that the way you should study and review? is that how you do it???
I don't have that much time. This is a good goal. If you have time to do all that, you will have one of the highest grades in class.

Some teachers don't teach as much, so it is a lot of self learning. Others give you EVERYTHING, and overload your mind. SO, you can just study from PPs, if you want.

WSUCougar
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
oh perfect...yeah i bought already all those books you stated.
also, other students said that we should buy first aid and start using it once the semester starts until we take step 1 in 5th semester.. is it strongly recommended to buy all the first aid books or are the kaplan books given to us simply enough??

I was told to buy the First Aid for the USMLE. I bought the 2007 edition and it looks awesome. I also bought the same BRS books as you.
The isbn # for the First Aid book is 0071475311. Med Students that rotate through the hospital I work at, swear by it.

drJane23
07-12-2007, 08:23 PM
okay awesome...yea I was thinking of buying it because I also heard from other students its a must book to have to study.

Oluchi
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey all!
Questions for you all:

1) Are most of the required textbooks available at the library? Are they usually available for checkout or always checked out?
I kind of took drjohnweb's approach- just bought Anatomy text, BRS Anatomy, Embryo Text, Embryo BRS, in addition to the Histo text and Epi/Biostat text. Is this cool? I'm about to buy Netters and First Aid later today...

2) Also, I'm debating if I really need to buy Bates for Patient Doc...Did you all really need it for class or is it just good reference?

3) In addition to Netters would you all suggest a cadaverous atlas as well?

Im trying not to empty my account buying books...(sigh)

Thanks!

drjohnwebb
07-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I hate Netter's and so does most others. The real cadaver picture books (Rohen) are way better. You will need Bates at some point, just NOT for pt-dr 1.

I hate to tell you what to buy, because if the teacher is slack, you will need the book and brs. If you have a good teacher, you will never crack open the book. Most of our teachers will be gone next semester... so you may need the book, may not..

Good Luck!

Oluchi
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks! Yea, I bought Rohens today. I think Im done shopping now...good advice on Bates. I'll get it next semester--

Can someone address if most of the required textbooks available at the library? Are they usually available for checkout or always checked out?

Thanks!

drjohnwebb
07-28-2007, 07:05 PM
All of them are in the library and are always there. Some you can check out, others are reference and you can use them in the library as long as no one else needs it.

niyeklin
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I used the Color Atlas of Physiology

ISBN = 1588900614

Gets 5 stars on Amazon (highest possible rating).

I like learning from pictures. This book was all I used, and physiol turned out to be one of my best classes grade-wise.

russut
07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
I hate Netter's and so does most others. The real cadaver picture books (Rohen) are way better. You will need Bates at some point, just NOT for pt-dr 1.

I hate to tell you what to buy, because if the teacher is slack, you will need the book and brs. If you have a good teacher, you will never crack open the book. Most of our teachers will be gone next semester... so you may need the book, may not..

Good Luck!

I am in Pd. Dr 4. I have not opened Bates one single time. Ill probably in miami before clincals. ha

Junito
07-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Good Luck!

Wow, I hated the Rohen but loved the Netter's Atlas. It depends on your preference.

WSUCougar
07-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, I hated the Rohen but loved the Netter's Atlas. It depends on your preference.

I also hate Rohen. I've used Netters throughout undergrad and I never liked any of the other books, especially the ones that have the "actual" photos. This is what open lab is for... I'm a big fan of the flashcards for Netters also. The best thing to do is go to a local university bookstore and see for yourself which ones would work best for you. This is what I did when I was deciding between BRS, High Yield, etc. Everybody has different tastes when it comes to textbooks and study aids

Oluchi
07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
hmm, opinions on both sides:) well, nonetheless, I'll just see which one works better! Thanks you all!

pocaface
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey all ~
do we need to bring:
- short white coat (and if so, what do we use it for?)
- dissection kit

thanks!

drJane23
08-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey all ~
do we need to bring:
- short white coat (and if so, what do we use it for?)
- dissection kit

thanks!

you dont need a white coat..you get a white coat I think in 3rd semester or maybe 4th semester. you do not need a dissection kit. although you do need gloves for lab.
hope this helps:D

Diva
08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I am taking all of my husbands med school books.
i have Netter, he has an old Rohan, Clemente ( which is the same as Netter...but better, more realistic pictures IMO)
For the Clemente book the ISBN is 0683017330 its 4th edition, but i think they came out with a whole bunch of new editions by now.

Also I am taking a dead lab anatomy atlas, also my husbands, but this one has pictures of cadaver dissections. i would use this when you cant get into the anatomy lab.
This is what he used in a US school, and it go him through with flying colors.

drJane23
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
also, netters flashcards are very good as well. bought mine on amazon.com

Britimg
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
you guys might be interested in moore's and agur's essential clinical anatomy. Theres two version of this book, the big copy, which is very much intended for anatomist or the little one, which accompanies the big book but on its on is a very good aswell. the good thing about this book is the clinical correlation, you learn why certain anatomical structures are important clinically, rather than just know there names and where they are.

combine this with the dvd set by Robert Auckland and color atlas of human anatomy and you are good to go.

I used this method in my med school in uk and scored in high 80's for my anatomy section.

I have the ebook version of the book and the bootleg copy of the dvd which i can upload if anybody wants it.

P.S :- for anatomy concerning the head, it might be a good idea to buy the cast human skull, they sell for about $40 on ebay or if you are really hardcore you can get the real one.

P.P.S :- Also the anatomy professor i had was very good, and one of his trademark questions/lectures used to be ....knife through the different part of body. We will get a question like a 36 year old male is admitted to A&E with a stab wound on the lateral part of his stomach in the left hypochondriac region. he will tell you the depth of the wound, size and shape and will ask you which structures are most likely to be affected, what clinical sign will you see. which structures would you be concerned about etc. What arteries are likely to be damaged, which nerve can be transacted, which organ or body structure will be affected etc. It was a good way of teaching, because it kept you interested and once you start to think about it, you will start to visualize anatomy. And once you start doing that, you are good to go. Essential clinical anatomy book ...the big one.. is full of these kinds of examples.

P.P.P.S :- Also when I was doing anatomy, part of our dissection assignment was to find out the cause of death. So instantly, it started linking anatomy with pathology. There were no cases of someone being shot in the head etc. In fact the cadaver i was dissecting died of aspiration pneumonia secondary to achalasia cardia. Awesome stuff it was anatomy. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

pocaface
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
thanks jane!

u'll be coming in the fall sem right? i'll see u there!

you dont need a white coat..you get a white coat I think in 3rd semester or maybe 4th semester. you do not need a dissection kit. although you do need gloves for lab.
hope this helps:D

SH8TNMD
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I am going to be a transfer student..Neuroscience is something new for me..i read from previous posts that Road maps and BRS are good..is there any one out there that can suggest any other sources for neuro??

In addition, for Doctor Patient..is this a hands on class? Where you actually do vitals and stuff like that? where we need to have supplies? Im a little confused as to what is needed..

Any insight would be appreciated..in addition, living..what do you current students think about good places to live?? Is it nessessary to live in RH?? are there better places??

Thanks

drJane23
08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks jane!

u'll be coming in the fall sem right? i'll see u there!.

no problem. yes i'll be starting this fall semester. see you soon!!

lindseylakeshore
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
You can your book list on the smu website.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.