PDA

View Full Version : Biochem lovers

Junito
10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
How do you differentiate between Von Gierke disease and Mc Ardle disease? Be specific (tell me the enzyme and associated symptoms).

Nimmuk
10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
How do you differentiate between Von Gierke disease and Mc Ardle disease? Be specific (tell me the enzyme and associated symptoms).

In short...
Von Gierke- glucose 6-phosphatase-....severe fasting hypoglycemia, treatment, gastric infusion of uncooked cornstarch
Mc Ardle- sceletal muscle glycogen phosphorylase ....weakeness in cramping after excercise.. Sweat and short:)

Junito
10-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Very Good Danielson, ah, I meant Nimmuk, I love Mr. Miyagi.

Anyways, here is a second question:

1- A pack of scientists get stranded in the Northpole. Their food supply gets low and they resort to eating Polar bears. They develop some form of toxicity when they digest the liver of the polar bear...Why (this is from clinical therapeutics, but involves biochem).

2- How do you treat someone who injested ethylene glycol? What mechanisms are involved? What about Methanol poisoning?

swimguy23
10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Very Good Danielson, ah, I meant Nimmuk, I love Mr. Miyagi.

Anyways, here is a second question:

1- A pack of scientists get stranded in the Northpole. Their food supply gets low and they resort to eating Polar bears. They develop some form of toxicity when they digest the liver of the polar bear...Why (this is from clinical therapeutics, but involves biochem).

2- How do you treat someone who injested ethylene glycol? What mechanisms are involved? What about Methanol poisoning?

come on (i know this is st matts stuff but i had to answer these were way too easy.....)

1. vitamin A
2. get them drunk off their ****

Nimmuk
10-12-2005, 10:58 PM
2. get them drunk off their ****[/quote]

I agree this was an easy one. On of my friends, who is a biochemist, told me his dog was poisend drinking ethylene glycol ( i think he said the dog drank anti-freze). He gave his dog Genese sp? and the dog was able to stay alive. The funny thing was that he said he did not had any trouble having the dog drink alcohol...he was used to it!

swimguy23
10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
a real question would be

a 3 yo caucasian male is brought in by his parents chronic cough and respiratory distress. Which of the following cellular changes would show in pancreatic tissue?

a. hyperplasia
b. hypertophy
c. atrophy
d. hypoplasia

a 26 year old african american female presents with no generalized symptoms. upon routine examination microscopic hematuria is present. No classic findings appear upon microscopy. What is the mechanism by which the hematuria occurs?

a. kimmelstel wilson nodules
b. hypoxia
c. decreased atmospheric O2
d. increased dissolved CO2

swimguy23
10-12-2005, 11:00 PM
these are fun questions

Junito
10-13-2005, 08:51 AM
a real question would be

a 3 yo caucasian male is brought in by his parents chronic cough and respiratory distress. Which of the following cellular changes would show in pancreatic tissue?

a. hyperplasia
b. hypertophy
c. atrophy
d. hypoplasia

a 26 year old african american female presents with no generalized symptoms. upon routine examination microscopic hematuria is present. No classic findings appear upon microscopy. What is the mechanism by which the hematuria occurs?

a. kimmelstel wilson nodules
b. hypoxia
c. decreased atmospheric O2
d. increased dissolved CO2 1- C, since the pancreas is commonly affected in CF, was hence the one of its other names: Fibrocystic Disease of Pancreas. 2- A, you seem to be describing Benign Familial Hematuria (Thin BM disease).

swimguy23
10-13-2005, 02:25 PM
1- C, since the pancreas is commonly affected in CF, was hence the one of its other names: Fibrocystic Disease of Pancreas. 2- A, you seem to be describing Benign Familial Hematuria (Thin BM disease).

1 correct.....i think you'll see that on your shelf
2 incorrect

26 year old african american pt with no generalized symptoms but mild hematuria you automatically have to rule out sickle cell trait. Even tho you will find no sickle cells in pts with sickle cell trait in their peripheral blood, the kidneys, especially cortical region, is generally quite hypoxic enough so to cause sickling of RBCs and produce a very mild microscopic hematuria.....believe it or not i had quite a few questions like that on step 1.....1 or 2 obviously clues (african american female), 1 distractor (no generalized symptoms.....) and one clue integrating physio and path.....sickling of cells due to hypoxia

microphage
10-13-2005, 06:09 PM
OK...here's a real question...

what's the most common cause of chronic cough.

swimguy23
10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
OK...here's a real question...

what's the most common cause of chronic cough.

need to differentiate between smoker and non-smoker.....if non-smoker its probably the snot drop

microphage
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
need to differentiate between smoker and non-smoker.....if non-smoker its probably the snot drop

postnasal drip is still most common last I checked

swimguy23
10-14-2005, 06:05 AM
postnasal drip is still most common last I checked

yeh well snot drop

microphage
10-15-2005, 12:10 AM
yeh well snot drop

U don't goto medical school to diagnose someone with snot drop. You give them 150 dollars worth of their office visit with a fancier diagnosis that really doesn't mean much either :lol:

swimguy23
10-15-2005, 07:06 AM
U don't goto medical school to diagnose someone with snot drop. You give them 150 dollars worth of their office visit with a fancier diagnosis that really doesn't mean much either :lol:

actually it doesnt matter what i say at my hospital, i could call it constipation they wouldnt understand bc they all only speak spanish

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.