PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for help Folks

hydprince4u
10-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Thank you my dear Bros/Sis for you good advice. You comments really helped me.
I also called the Irish school's they said that its not required to have an SAT score but its recommened, and I am also taking the SAT this saturday which is the 8 of October and again in January, so I guess my scores will be much better when I take them in Januray but that would be too late for the admissions in to the Universities here so I will first apply to SC and also Irish medical schools and then I will decide where to go.
Its actually me and my father that want to me to go to Med school after high school, he said to me that if I dont get accepted to the colleges I am applying to then he will take me to India and spend like 40-50 laks (hundered thousand INR's) and enroll me into indian med school. I dont to people if it makes of feel bad or pissed of but I dont like to stay in United States and study so thats why I am applying to only one University for
pre-med program and others are like SC, Irish Medical colleges and the good thing that I think I am doing is applyting to Australian Universities too, so if I get accepted into Aus Universities f**k the medical schools I am going to Aus Universities for my bachelors and then I will study medicine Either in Aus or US.

And one more thing SC NJ office said that students with G.P.A less than 3.0 can get admission. In states we get admission into Community Colleges with that kinda G.P.A

Any way thank you guyz once again and please do reply to my posts.

Jabroni
10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Its actually my father that want to me to go to Med school after high school, he said to me that if I dont get accepted to the colleges I am applying to then he will take me to India and spend like 40-50 laks (hundered thousand INR's) and enroll me into indian med school.

Another Indian being pressured by their parents to be a doctor as soon possible. *Sigh*

I wouldn't give up the fun I had during undergrad just to be a doctor a few years sooner. You can never have those awesome years between 18-22 back, and those years were a blast as an undergrad.

To each their own I suppose. I just hope you don't regret it when you look back. Make sure it is what YOU want to do and you're not doing it to make mommy and daddy happy.

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Another Indian being pressured by their parents to be a doctor as soon possible. *Sigh*

I wouldn't give up the fun I had during undergrad just to be a doctor a few years sooner. You can never have those awesome years between 18-22 back, and those years were a blast as an undergrad.

To each their own I suppose. I just hope you don't regret it when you look back. Make sure it is what YOU want to do and you're not doing it to make mommy and daddy happy.

But I agree with my father and I think that he is saying the right thing and I can have fun after I become a doctor!!

neilc
10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
amen jabroni. not only were 18-22 awesome for me, but they were prob some of the worst years for the plethora of students at my school whose parents forced them to be there. i know of a few who had other vivid dreams about who they wanted to be, but instead they were barely passing classes they never wanted to take under constant pressure from home.

a terrible thing...

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:23 AM
amen jabroni. not only were 18-22 awesome for me, but they were prob some of the worst years for the plethora of students at my school whose parents forced them to be there. i know of a few who had other vivid dreams about who they wanted to be, but instead they were barely passing classes they never wanted to take under constant pressure from home.

a terrible thing...

Hey guyz you are getting me wrong, my father is not like forcing me to go to med school but he says that its better if I go after high school.

neilc
10-04-2005, 12:24 AM
But I agree with my father and I think that he is saying the right thing and I can have fun after I become a doctor!!

hahahahha! the time for having fun is before you are a doc, or even a med student. unless you are thinking the fun you want to have is getting called at 3am for a vicodin refill...

enjoy your youth. you will lose it and it won't be coming back. med school will be there later, though. go get an undergrad degree, party in the dorms, light your farts on fire, whatever. be an idiot, learn about life and freinds, figure out what your goals really are, then achieve them. there is NO RUSH!

neilc
10-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey guyz you are getting me wrong, my father is not like forcing me to go to med school but he says that its better if I go after high school.

that is fine that he is not forcing you. but, how on earth is it better out of high school????????

Jabroni
10-04-2005, 12:26 AM

*sigh*

Nevermind

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:27 AM
hahahahha! the time for having fun is before you are a doc, or even a med student. unless you are thinking the fun you want to have is getting called at 3am for a vicodin refil is fun...

enjoy your youth. you will lose it and it won't be coming back. med school will be there later, though. go get an undergrad degree, party in the dorms, light your farts on fire, whatever. be an idiot, learn about life and freinds, figure out what your goals really are, then achieve them. there is NO RUSH!

See, anyhow i am not having fun here in US, because I am a social person to whom I know very well, if I want to have fun I could go back to India where there are my relatives and lots lots of friends and have a lot of fun. But the thing is that I want to have a degree from a country which holds the value not only in India but also US.

neilc
10-04-2005, 12:27 AM
and, btw, 99% of the americans that came straight from high school failed out of my school. they just had no idea what was expected in med school in terms of studies, and were very easily distracted.

unless you are SUPER motivated and pretty darn smart you will likely not do well. undergrad can help give you direction and drive, as well as a chance to get the fun stuff done with minimal consequenses. med school is far less forgiving.

but, if you are that rare HS grad with the drive and determination to go straight to it, as well as the native inteligence and strength of character, then best of luck to you!

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
and, btw, 99% of the americans that came straight from high school failed out of my school. they just had no idea what was expected in med school in terms of studies, and were very easily distracted.

unless you are SUPER motivated and pretty darn smart you will likely not do well. undergrad can help give you direction and drive, as well as a chance to get the fun stuff done with minimal consequenses. med school is far less forgiving.

but, if you are that rare HS grad with the drive and determination to go straight to it, as well as the native inteligence and strength of character, then best of luck to you!

As a matter of fact I am highly motivated for becoming a doctor. I was having a lot of fun when I was in India but when we shifted to US, I became completely opp of whom I was, its actually me who doesnt want to get mixed in this culture cause I want to be the person from where I am, I have relatives that lived in UK for 2 years and when they came back they acted as if they were born there. So, I dont want to be like that.

Jabroni
10-04-2005, 12:32 AM

Neil, you have to understand the immigrant (especially Indian) mentality to know they don't believe sentiments like that. If you are not a doctor by your mid 20's then you are a failure. Your youth is not to be enjoyed, it is to be used to achieve (be a doctor) so you can enjoy it when you are older. Unfortunately it never really pans out that way.

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Neil, you have to understand the immigrant (especially Indian) mentality to know they don't believe sentiments like that. If you are not a doctor by your mid 20's then you are a failure. Your youth is not to be enjoyed, it is to be used to achieve (be a doctor) so you can enjoy it when you are older. Unfortunately it never really pans out that way.

That was a very funny comment mu dear friend. Thats exactly how indians feel.

Jabroni
10-04-2005, 12:36 AM
That was a very funny comment mu dear friend. Thats exactly how indians feel.

I know. Just make sure you don't fall into that trap. You don't get a second chance at enjoying your youth, and trying to make up for it when you are older just isn't the same. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

hydprince4u
10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I know. Just make sure you don't fall into that trap. You don't get a second chance at enjoying your youth, and trying to make up for it when you are older just isn't the same. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

See, I have 2 elder brothers, they had their education in India, One is Dr. of Pharmacy practicing in US and other is Plasma Engineer, eldest is 27 and younger is 24 and they had fun when they were in India and now every summer they goback and have a fun again. So thats what I am looking forward to.

neilc
10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
good luck then. i hope it works out as planned.

MDPhD
10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc

I agree with Neil. Indian immigrant parents need to understand that they are not in India anymore. Med schools are not the same in USA as in India and so is the medical practice in USA. I would not recommend going to med school after high school. A student need to be more mature to enter med school.

A_funsho
10-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Mdphd,

i am not indian but don't say indoa parent needs to understand that they are not in india anymore. I completely undertsand what prince is talking about. just because they are not i india doesn't mean they can still act like indians.

prince just make sure whatever you decide to do, do it very well. yeah, u might not be able to get back or enjoy those years you will miss but that's the path you want to follow. everyone don't have to go thru the same path to success.

good luck

OLDPRO
10-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Mdphd,

i am not indian but don't say indoa parent needs to understand that they are not in india anymore. I completely undertsand what prince is talking about. just because they are not i india doesn't mean they can still act like indians.

prince just make sure whatever you decide to do, do it very well. yeah, u might not be able to get back or enjoy those years you will miss but that's the path you want to follow. everyone don't have to go thru the same path to success.

good luck

Look I agree with all the above but lets remember, He's young and if his dad has convinced him, let him find out for himself. I'm 41 and have done many unwise things in my life, he still has time to to that and do something else.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.