PDA

View Full Version : Doing the entire basic sciences....ONLINE?

ULTRON
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Hello ALL,

I've heard there are medical schools that offer the ENTIRE basic science programs online, and then "send" you to US hospitals for rotations. Is this true? Has anyone done it? Can you name me a few medical schools?

Thanks

ULTRON

julestx
08-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Didnt you already post that you were starting Saba next year?

I am not really aware of schools that teach basic sciences all online - but I know this topic has been discussed alot in the past. Have you tried doing a search here for online programs?

ULTRON
08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey, thanks. Yes, I'm beginning at SABA. This question is for someone else. I actually did a search after I started this thread !! :mad: !!

Lots of valuable info. One of my buddies is planning to do these online programs staying in US, then transferring to Ross or something. He actually has issues with his immigration - can't leave the country.

ULTRON

julestx
08-06-2005, 08:01 AM
I dont know about him being eligible to practice after attending med school online
though...sounds like that is a problem

Ming
08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
On-line pre-clinical sciences are offered by a couple of caribbean schools, however, if you do your homework by contacting all of the state licencing boards you will discover that many restrict licencing for these grads and most of the other states are moving in that direction. There has never been a graduate of on-line medicine that has been granted a licence to practice. There are a few in residency programs however, but you would have to wait to see how their application to practice will happen in the future.

ULTRON
08-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a question:

How do state licencing boards "know" that a degree has been done online/offline? I thought all that matters is your class rank, USMLE scores and/or research experience. What do you say?

Plus, the online part is for the first two years (actually, the preclinical labs are done at local schools in the US).

ULTRON

julestx
08-07-2005, 08:27 AM
The State Boards can and will get quite detailed in their processes when it comes to fmg's. They license on a case-by-case basis for the most part, therefore a straight-forward grad from AUC or Ross or wherever, who has never transferred and who did all green-book rotations and so on, may have no problems. However, when fmg's start moving between schools, or a school is not known, the committee will put their specs on before licensing. Its not unheard of for them to request to see a stamped passport for the time spent in a country where the school is located and so on. I have heard of requests for bills from a homestead in that foreign country as well. Its possible that not all States do this. Just out of curiosity, where are you from, or what State do you want to go back to?

ULTRON
08-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey, thanks. So, I guess, once he begins at UHSA, he's gotta stay at UHSA. I'm from Illinois and plan to practice in Illinois.

ULTRON

lswiltshire
08-07-2005, 05:43 PM
You bet!
Once he starts at UHSA he will have to end at UHSA because no one accepts UHSA credits.
Folk who transferred from UHSA all had to start over.

Call the state boards and mention UHSA or IUHS and hear them burst out in laughter!

Why cant folk hear to eschew these bogus schools?

ULTRON
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Have a look at these links:

http://www.alegent.com/1297.cfm

and

http://www.halifaxfprp.org/evers.html

and

http://www.concordhospital.org/medical/residents.php
(Scroll down and look for Dr. Gary Curcio)

and many more...
How did they do it?

ULTRON

AUCMD2006
08-07-2005, 11:20 PM
they did the time on the island or the school said they did. there were posts about the school lying on transcripts and stating that full 2 years were done on island.....

also, residency and license to work on your own are different. a resident license is a training license and not that difficult to get. an unrestricted license is much more tightly regulated and that is were you may be asked for passport stamps and extra paperwork. also if the school lied and said that the entire course was on island when these people were being nurses or chiros then eventually they'l get caught.

also another thing is the setting up of rotations...some states want all done in acgme sites with reseidency programs, some want a formal contract with your school for cores...there is a lot of red tape that is why its usually best to go with a proven long standing school and not play with your time and money with the amaterurs in the med school biz...

Scott1981
08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
bottom line........... save yourself the headache of actually taking these pseudo internet classes. ill print you up a degree with my bubblejet because it will hold as much weight as the one that you will get after taking virtual med school.

not to be mean or anything, but i cant believe there is even an arguement over this. i really do think you should go after your dream........... but do so the REAL way. ACTUALLY ATTEND MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lswiltshire
08-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Go down to Dow Hill

Pass the army guard post after you travel a mile on that dirt road

Then drive the other mile or so to the leaking classrooms and offices

Study in the only library I ve seen with out a librarian (because none of the books are useful)

then DO YOUR ONE MONTH CRASH COURSE

then go back to your job for two months

then return for ANOTHER ONE MONTH CRASH COURSE

you can even do IMUNOLOGY IN ONE WEEK and MICROBIOLOGY IN TWO

and then you can boast on this forum how you did it!

BUT BEWARE YOU WILL N OT REGISTERED ANYWHERE IN THE USA

petenwe
08-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Hello ALL,

I've heard there are medical schools that offer the ENTIRE basic science programs online, and then "send" you to US hospitals for rotations. Is this true? Has anyone done it? Can you name me a few medical schools?

Thanks

ULTRON

THIS IS SCARY

Ming
09-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a question:

How do state licencing boards "know" that a degree has been done online/offline? I thought all that matters is your class rank, USMLE scores and/or research experience. What do you say?

Plus, the online part is for the first two years (actually, the preclinical labs are done at local schools in the US).

ULTRON

The state licencing boards do not know that a degree has been done on-line as the degree does not state same. However, according to most of the 26 states that currently restrict on-line pre-clinical medical education, they are considering making it a question of the licencing application. If this occurs, the IUHS distance learning students will be in a difficult position as they will have to let them know.

Research experience? It certainly won't happen through IUHS. If a student is going to involve themself in any research (which I expect to be clinical as most of these students don't have the background to do bench research), it would be from somewhere the student has approached on their own. IUHS has no real academic background let alone a research background/facility.
It might be possible that someone attached to IUHS could involve students in some statistical data collection and call it clinical research.

Pre-clinical labs done at local medical schools in the US? Can you name any?

At the moment, the USMLE scores indeed are very important. Off-shore students need to have better than the national average. More students fail the USMLE from IUHS than those that pass. If each school had to publicize the number of total students and asked for the stats of those that passed USMLE, IUHS would no longer have any applicants.

I am now hearing of students from IUHS that have written the USMLE 3 times, failed each time and may have been conferred the MD degree. This simply means the student and IUHS has recognized they will not have any chance to enter a residency program but can advertize that they have an MD degree. Having an MD degree is not any different than obtaining any university 4 year degree. The objective is usually having the USMLE scores that allow one to continue to apply for a residency program and ultimately pass steps 2 and 3 and apply for licensure.

iuhsms4
11-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Good luck to everybody who aspires to become a doc!

lmoliver
11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
"They earned a C in Organic chemistry, didn't take 2nd semester physics,.."

Okay, let's not get personal. Yes, I got a C in Organic but I got a B- in 2nd semester physics. lol

Steve, Pls pm me. I would like to verify some of your information. I was under the impression that states would not license docs from online schools. My husband's health is fragile and I would like to know if this option is open to me.

SSIUHS
11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I am writing only what my experience has been at IUHS. As stated in my previous postings IUHS is a scam. You can sit and take Step1 2 3 but wait for licensure. As far as hospitals are concerned all they are about is that the school provide insurance you are set and you can be from IUHS, BBB,CCC, coca Cola , Pepsi-cola they donít care mate. As far as your posts are concerned you are new and I was wondering where have you been all this timeÖ.. Let me see:( multiple postings very official language that sounds like J SÖ. Donít try to make this scam into something that it is not. Everyone that is a DPM , DCM or whatever please be aware of this shady school. All you newbies out there please do not be fooled.

I challenge the administration to writte and deny any of my previous posts. As you will notice there will be silence because the truth cant be denied. Post websites wehere we can get data on IUHS students and their clinical rotations.:lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

iuhsms4
11-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Good luck to all "real" current and prospective medical students who read this post. Stick with it! Be diligent and you will also attain your goal. I need to scrub for my next procedure. By the way, how many of you negative bashers were on-call last night (Thanksgiving) and had to come in at 6:00 pm for a trauma? I did. Now, let's talk about sacrifice.....

Steve
MS4 IUHS

Carmen
11-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Steve,

Some students at IUHS do well because they have a background such as podiatry, etc. I am not saying that you won't be a great doctor, but unfortunately many students at IUHS will not do so well.

Unfortunately IUHS has gained a nasty reputation in most of the states. This was due to many shady dealings and problems. Unfortunately many state licensing boards have pre-conceived thoughts. I do know that many IUHS students are not prepared to be doctors, especially those without P.A., nursing, etc. experience. There was some good changes to IUHS in the past, but since Mr. G.C. is now the registrar, I have heard complaints. One of the main problems is that nobody running the school knows anything about Medicine or running a medical school.

I know more and am willing to share all information with you if you want to p.m. me. I will tell you the honest truth. I'm not out to get IUHS, I just want students to understand what they are getting into. The transcript issue is true, there is no mention of on-line studies on it. This alone, makes IUHS look like a farce.

I truly hope things work out for you.

Carmen

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.