PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* just need to vent about SO

orthonut
07-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I need a shoulder to cry on. This AM Mr. Orthonut and I were getting ready for work...when he suddenly blurts out "geee, I wish you would go to school somewhere in the US," etc. etc. Um, Thanks buddy, why couldn't you say something SIX MONTHS AGO when I first applied? It's kinda late now. Grrr. He was behind me 110% up until the point where I was literally walking out the door to go to work this AM.

So my question is, those of you that are leaving behind an SO, have you guys worked anything out like visits, being on an instant message service every friday at X time? Or what have you done/wish you had done.

jaywalk81
07-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I need a shoulder to cry on. This AM Mr. Orthonut and I were getting ready for work...when he suddenly blurts out "geee, I wish you would go to school somewhere in the US," etc. etc. Um, Thanks buddy, why couldn't you say something SIX MONTHS AGO when I first applied? It's kinda late now. Grrr. He was behind me 110% up until the point where I was literally walking out the door to go to work this AM.

So my question is, those of you that are leaving behind an SO, have you guys worked anything out like visits, being on an instant message service every friday at X time? Or what have you done/wish you had done.
let me see if i can find the web site for the SO ....they are a great supposrt system and group down here...or you can run a search/google "SGU SO" try that

jaywalk81
07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
ok here is the link

http://www.sguso.org/

Kimbo
07-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Well Orthonut I know how you feel. I had the same conversation with my SO last night. He was feeling rather left out in all the hustle of packing and leaving the country! We decided that he will come visit the end of Sept and then I'll be home for Christmas so we won't have to be away from each other the entire time. IM is the way to go as we won't be able to afford long phone conversations. I know that it is a difficult enough decision to go to SGU and I am lucky to have someone that is supportive. Hang in there and time will tell.

KIM

rokshana
07-25-2005, 06:53 PM
IM is the way to go as we won't be able to afford long phone conversations.
KIM

FYI Many people use the internet phones like Dialpad and IConnectHere because they can be decent and are incrediably cheap (1-2 cents a minute from Grenada)

Grendel
07-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I have only spent one semester down on the island so far and it was without my wife. I thought it wouldnt be that bad and it really wasnt at first. I called her everyday via internet phone and this definatly made it easier. However, the excitement of being in a new place, starting my life, and meeting new people got old sometime after mid-term and I was really itching to see her again. A conjugal visit sometime after midterm would have been very nice. We are definatly planning on this for next term. I have been looking into getting the video phone thing too. For like $100 you can get two internet cams and I think you can simply download a program to run it.
Take care

Groove
07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Get a webcam and videoconference with him on a weekly basis. I saw several people that did this and it seemed to work well. Skype works great for calls, but there's definitely enough bandwidth to successfully videoconference if you wanted to do that. It might make him feel a little more connected?

EV
07-26-2005, 09:42 AM

Tami
07-27-2005, 04:15 AM
you can still talk totally free if you use Yahoo/skype/AIM/etc @ both ends

Nimitt
07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
I am moving this to the family forum where I think you may get more advice from those who are going through or have been through the same thing.

orthonut
07-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks Nim! I seem to forget about the family forum lol. (no offense, it's great! I just forget it's not just for those with family @ school with them)

BelleStarr
08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
you can still talk totally free if you use Yahoo/skype/AIM/etc @ both ends

Have you used the Yahoo/AIM etc? Does it work well with any internet connection? Can it be used with the webcams as well? I have to admit I am pretty much internet illiterate at times. I don't even own a computer at home......yet.
Thanks!!

Tami
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I've used all 3, AIM sucks, Yahoo & Skype are equally good depending on connection speed @ the other end. Tons of times last semester, seemed firefly was always running slow & sickly, so I bought a long ethernet cable which you can plug into Bourne/histolab/library/superdorm study room & use to get zippin speeds. :)

PM me if you have q's.

Nimmuk
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Also, if you have good connection, you can buy the $10= 10 hours thingy from Skype and call to a regular phone from your computer.

orthonut
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
quick update:

Mr O got over it :) , I'm here and he's home running the business AND taking care of my horsey and dog, and we're doing pretty well.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.