PDA

View Full Version : Any Current Students?

SpongeBobCirclePants
07-19-2005, 10:43 PM
hey guys,

anybody on this forum thats currently an xavier student or who is doing clinicals in atlanta at the moment???

go..MD..go
07-19-2005, 11:00 PM
i'm xavier student!!!

SpongeBobCirclePants
07-20-2005, 03:42 AM
what year are you in and what program? give me your honest opinion - i know the school is new, but how are their facilities? how did you feel before going there? how do you feel now? do you know anyone doing clinicals in atlanta or they havent had any students get that far yet?

Skipper
07-22-2005, 10:14 PM
i dont think they have the atlanta site--i think someone mention that in an earlier post

skipper

wrshud
07-25-2005, 01:12 AM
I am an Xavier transpant student(never been to Bonaire), that is doing rotations in Atlanta. Currently, I'm into my second elective (Cardiology), and will graduate in Dec. The set up in Atlanta is fantastic, if you are a Xavier student. They have an office at Atlanta Medical Center, and are always kind enough to be at your disposal, for the needs of a student. The rotations are really what you make of them. There are some attendings that are better than others, or who can give you more exposure to medicine than others. But the bottom line is that, it's what you put into the rotation, is what you get out of it. For example, Read, Read, Read, and stay on top of the information for the specific rotation that you are in, and you will be richly rewarded when you actually get to see the boring stuff you've been reading, come alive in the hospital.

I've had several attendings tell me that they have had piss-poor students recently. I hope they're not from Xavier. But the point is that this is what you've been working so hard for, don't wuss out and take the easy scheduled attendings, take the hardest ones! And work hard and excell. That's the only way you are going to get good letters of recomendation from important attendings,and that's the only way you are going to learn the fast pace of medicine. This will ultimately help you in your residency. If you choose to be lazy, and apathetic. You will not make it through residency.

The cardinal sins for a student on rotations are:
1)Being Late...
2)Not Reading an assignment
3)Not being prepared for a presentation
4)Most Important!.......Making an excuse about why you did not do any of the above 3 sins.

As for the Atlanta situation.....All of our rotations are secure with AMC until Dec. 31. Which is very lucky for my because I finish on Dec. 4. But as far as I have heard.....negotiations are in progress with Tenet(owner of AMC)... But I would not worry about all this too much if you are an Xavier student. First of all you are top priority for rotations with GMC group, and second of all, there are many hospitals and green book affiliated attendings around Atlanta, and I don't think it will be any problem for GMC group to secure these rotations. I have been very suprised and impressed at how many docs they have secured in the year and a half, I've been here(over 200 attendings). I did two rotations at Emory, and one that was affiliated with Emory.

So, Don't worry about rotations. I know that this is hard to do as medical students, because I have been there myself. But just concentrate on Basic Sciences and passing step 1. Because you can do all your rotations at a place like emory, and graduate with an MD, but if you don't pass step 1, you'll never be able to practice medicine in the US of A. I cannot stress how important step 1 is for us.

wrshud

SpongeBobCirclePants
07-25-2005, 01:16 AM
hey, thanx so much for the info! really cleared up some of the greater concerns i had.

-s.s.

ghostwriter
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
if Xavier is only able to arrange clinicals in one city (ie. Atlanta), then how does that affect (if at all) where you can ultimately practice? I guess my question is which states can you end up practicing in if you're a student of Xavier?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.