PDA

View Full Version : intestinal malrotation

Asclepius1
03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
My son has had intestinal discomfort most of his life and was recently diagnosed with a significant intestinal malrotation.
He had the malrotation surgically corrected but is continuing with additional abdominal pain and extreme gas pain.
Has anyone had malrotation at an older age (my son was 8 1/2) and if so was the surgery enough to correct the issues? If not, what was the additonal DX and TRMT?

Asclepius1
06-11-2005, 01:22 AM
I am 31 years old, was diagnosed with malrotation in Jan of this year, and had it surgically corrected a week ago today. I have had intermittent abdominal pain and issues for years with no diagnosis until the malrotation was "accidentally" discovered during a CT scan. My problems included chronic pancreatitis, gastric ulcers and food sensitivities. Until the malrotation was found they had been blamed on everything from ovarian cysts to psychological problems.
I tried eating one of the foods I have been sensitive to today, eggs, but there was no improvement in the stomach pains. It's too soon to know if I will continue to have ongoing abdominal pain and complications, but I will bookmark this and keep you posted. I know it would be far scarier for me if this was happening to my daughter instead of me; I wish the best of luck to you and your son!

Asclepius1
06-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi,

I have a 5 month old son that just had his Ladd bands removed last week, he suffered from intestinal malrotation, he would get up at night every hour and be in pain and discomfort. After the surgery he has less pain but still can't sleep at night from pain when he wants to pass gas or burp. It is the same thing during the day, he will cry when passing gas and this always interrupts his sleep. My husband and I also wonder just like Lauri Rowat if this is supposed to go away with the surgery or if this is another condition. It has been 7 days since my son's surgery.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Asclepius1
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
My email is [email protected] If anyone is going thru the same thing maybe we should get in touch and help each other out.

MomTo2plusOne
05-22-2006, 01:40 AM
I have 4.5 yr old twins. The girl twin Emilia has had gastro problems since birth.. gas, vomiting, frequent constipation, slow weight gain, extreme "colic/crying"... all blamed on a tired mom of three, a 4 yr old and newborn twins. Now after many months of demanding tests since her pains are still there and she is still having pain with bowel movements and still vomiting 4 years later... they gave her Prevacid.. that took care of the vomiting for the most part but the tummy pain and constipation is still there. Finally had a civillan doctor (we were military and always moved so her records were always lost and we had to start over) run tests and they found the malrotations and now all of her symptoms fit. She also has a herniated belly button they won't fix since its minimal. But now I am terrified that it will completely twist, she'll get peritonitist before I can get her to hospital and she'll die or I'll but her the pain or the surgeries and she won't be any better and she'll still hurt when she could be find. We have a family history of bowel issues though so I know its most likely in her best interest to proceed but I am angry that she's suffered for so long and that she might suffer for longer with surgery... the to read that you guys have had the surgery and still have the same symptoms.... I am scared to death. :(

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.