PDA

View Full Version : Admisssions Question

raptor3k
07-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Hello guys, im sorry to ask another admissions question. But, I was wondering I have a cum gpa of 2.7 and science gpa of 2.7 and got a 15 on the MCATS. Do I have any chance of getting into XAVIER? I have volunteer experience and I have shadowed two different doctors for a year each. I have three letters of recs from professors and two from doctors. I have already sent out an app, but Im really nervous. Any suggestions or opinions would be helpful? I just had a phone interview today, and i think it went pretty well?

MDXRS22
07-02-2005, 12:41 AM
I am sure you will be asked to take one or two semesters of premed. I have a science of 3.0 and the rest is just like yours...
I received my acceptance letter from Xavier, and I was asked to do the same in order to boost my GPA...or whatever that meant.

maybe luck is running on your side this time. Just make sure that you don't blow the interview off.

Good luck!

raptor3k
07-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanx, im ready to do anything to get accepted. Do i have to take like two semesters of pre-med at Xavier? Anyways, this is a general question. I have a interview coming up with Ken from St. Eustatius on thursday. Again, any suggestions will be helpful. Im in the same situation with St. Eustatius with like gpa and mcat as i meantioned before. I have also applied to Unibe, St. Matthews, MUA, SABA. What do you guys think?

MDXRS22
07-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Maybe you will be asked to take just one...it depends on how many sciences you failed and those that you never had at all.

But I am sure you will be accepted with only one semester of premed.
I was asked to take two semesters. I will have to walk my way out of that because I have all my pre-reqs.

Just hang tight!

I am in the process of thinking if I should take the premed or not because another school put me on wait as well.....

As for the interview, just be short and quite explicit. Don't try to impress the pros because they have been there and done that...
Just be yourself and don't try to use words that are above your head.
The questions are simple, and you should be too.
Why do you want to become a doctor?
Just spit it out straight!
I wanted to be a doctor because I was always fascinated with what was going on in this field....and so on. If you are just one like us, myself, don't hesitate to say that you were raised in a poor family and your devotion toward helping your family and other people has set you on that path.

Those folks want to know the truth with some made certainty, and don't try to say what you did not want to express because you believe that you gonna fail the interview. Be poised and "calm." if you don't understand a question, just say that you are sorry and repeat it please.
Don't fall in the trap of trying to bring your madeup answer without understanding the question....they will think that you will also make up stuff in practice when you can't solve a problem or come up with a written diagnostic.

Do you have clinical experiences?
Please don't lie because this can follow you, and it will, even after you become that MD. Just say you were in some hospitals and you saw doctors and nurses.....Please don't put what you never experienced. I beg it of you.
Some board members will track you donw and even have your MD taken away from you if you are found to lie about those simple quests.

Who do you love the most?

Again, don't lie about loving Peter or paul if you don't.
That will not take away any dime from your loot.
Three years from now, you don't want to be asked the same question and then....uhhhh, My aunty, my puppies and I always hated paul.
You will be taken as a liar...Medicine relies on stability and honesty...

Just be pure and simple as you can be....

Don't take me too serioulsy

skidoc42
07-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Raptor,

I can't say I can comment on Xavier. However, I can comment on St. Matthew's. I'm a first semester student there. If you have the GPA you say you do, you can get in here. St. Matt's doesn't ( at this point ) require the MCAT. No matter what, you can go to med school. Bottom line...don't give up on your dreams because of simple numbers!

skidoc42

raptor3k
07-02-2005, 11:25 PM
thanx skidoc42. Your reply has been helpful and encouraging. That means a lot to hear that. I will not give up on my dream. "where there is a will, there is a way"

raptor3k
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey guys just got my accpetance letter from Xavier, thought id keep you guys updated. Also, in the process with Xavier about taking certain courses or not.

MDXRS22
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
I am glad you are in too :)
We must keep it going till we make it :)

Yeah, me too, I am in the fight over those premeds.
I can't afford to pay any other load that is not part of basic science:)
I will be paying for school with only private loans...and some saved dimes :)
I mean by private loans, cousins' loans, neighbours' loans and enemies' loans :)
None from Sallie, TERI or else. My mom used to warn me about those credit cards offer in college. BUT I was a D..B A&S to not listen to her.
I should ask my ex girly to repay me for those tickets, Beasty Boys, that we charged on those cards :):)

See ya DR. raptor :)

frankenstone
07-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Raptor and Ricky,

When are you guys starting? Too bad I couldn't meet you guys, but I will be posting from Atlanta.

Frankenstone

raptor3k
07-14-2005, 10:37 PM
hey, Frankenstone I am starting in September of 2006.

MDXRS22
07-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Raptor and Ricky,

When are you guys starting? Too bad I couldn't meet you guys, but I will be posting from Atlanta.

Frankenstone

I will be there in january 2006:)

Frank, where the hell are you going, man?
Stop that crappy crap please! Are you heading for clinicals?
Let me know!:(

frankenstone
07-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Well guy,

I'm going to 5th semester in Atlanta. Then its off to clinicals in January. I will take my USMLE in Dec. When you guys get there keep in touch on this forum. I will le you know how hings go in Atlanta.

Frankenstone

sci007
08-07-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm planning on applying to Xavier in a few months, for Sept. 2006. What GPA do i need to be considered?

Xavier Admissions
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm planning on applying to Xavier in a few months, for Sept. 2006. What GPA do i need to be considered?

Xavier Admissions assumes a competitive GPA to be 2.75 for admission into the MD Prrogram. 3.0 for Premed.

kylie28
08-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Are MCAT scores required for admission into the MD program? If so, how old can the scores be? Thanks

Xavier Admissions
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Are MCAT scores required for admission into the MD program? If so, how old can the scores be? Thanks

The MCAT is NOT required for entrance into XAVIER.

sci007
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
What if your GPA is below 2.5, and you have an undergraduate degree, a lot of volunteer experience and health related experience? Do you think experience can make up for a GPA below 2.5?

sci007
08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
What if your GPA is below 2.5, and you have an undergraduate degree, a lot of volunteer experience and health related experience? Do you think experience can make up for a GPA below 2.5?

Xavier Admissions
08-09-2005, 11:29 AM

I think that in this circumstance you need to contact the admission's office for more information. Please call 609-524-4050

aartisharma
08-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Hey guyss

I just applied for Xavier kindaa of scared i don't know if they gonna accept me or not becoz i have never done any science classes... but i have done double major in business and computer science ... i have 3.05 GpA.... do you guys know how long it's take to get reply from them...and wht kinda of question they ask.. in interview...
thanks for ur help

sukhtinder
08-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey guyss

I just applied for Xavier kindaa of scared i don't know if they gonna accept me or not becoz i have never done any science classes... but i have done double major in business and computer science ... i have 3.05 GpA.... do you guys know how long it's take to get reply from them...and wht kinda of question they ask.. in interview...
thanks for ur help

why wouldnt u apply to Ross/SGU/AUC/SABA/SMU with that GPA? just go and take your MCAT and apply, u may already be able to ge into SMU...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.