PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from current med student

triumphsolos
06-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok… This is it. I was a chemical engineering major in the US and I have recently changed my major to biomedical sciences. Well, I have always been pre-med, but being chemical engineering student has really pulled down my GPA. Now I think the switch is too late and I may have ruined my chances to get into ANY med school! I have talked to a few advisors here at my university and they have REALLY been “helpful.” In fact according to them I will have NO chance in hell getting into a med school and I don’t know what to do! The only advise I get is, “O… you don’t have to be a doctor to work in the med field.” BUT I want to be a doctor.

What really messed up my GPA are my engineering courses. I am not sure what my science GPA is because I’m not sure what classes to use for the calculation.

Ok… BLUNTLY here is my standing… what should I be looking for on my MCATs and what are my chances? Any advice would be helpful; even constructive criticism.

Overall GPA- 2.5 (yea I know!)

Well…. I guess that says enough!... I have about 3 professors to write recommendations, and I am a part of about 5 organizations and have volunteered at a bunch of different places.

G-Doc
06-19-2005, 11:08 AM
triumph,
I say what the hell, apply. u have nothing to lose, & it sounds as if u are pretty sure that the study of medicine is ur desire, so don't let the advisors discourage u. One reason I decided to apply to school's in the caribbean is the fact that not only do they tend to look at ur accomplishments on paper, but also u the individual, desire to pursue medicine, and what u have done to get there. my initial intent was to maj. in Chem-E but decided biochem was more desireable, so i can relate to the diff. of the course of study. If u dream it, then it will come...good luck in ur endeavors

frankenstone
06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Triumph,

besides your GPA your lookin great. But you are right about getting into med school in the U.S. Apply to Xavier, you would be an asset. In the Caribbean, you are a rare student. One that really wants to be a doctor to be a doctor. Not because your parents are pressuring you too or for the money.

Frankenstone

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.