PDA

View Full Version : Which states will grant Xavier graduates a license?

Jabroni
05-27-2005, 04:33 AM
In which states are graduates of XUSOM currently eligible to receive a license to practice?

AUCMD2006
05-27-2005, 08:44 AM
none. until the school gets licensed grads it is none. there are about 30 or so "easy" states that will likely not be a problem but others will be difficult until the school gets some approvals such as NY or FL....

Dr. Jeckyll
05-27-2005, 09:20 AM
This is not true at all! XUSOM grads are eligible for liscenses all but a handful of states as mentioned above. Cali is the only impossibility right now, and their WHO listing is only waiting on beurocratic red tape to become official.

neilc
05-27-2005, 12:16 PM
This is not true at all! XUSOM grads are eligible for liscenses all but a handful of states as mentioned above. Cali is the only impossibility right now, and their WHO listing is only waiting on beurocratic red tape to become official.

don't count your chickens before they hatch, is the point of rrod's post. on paper, your school is "eligible". but, until you get a licensed grad in the state, it is nowhere near a sure thing. so, if you go to one of these new schools, you are a guinea pig....one never knows what a state board will do or say when it comes to a new school. and, unless the legal wording is very specific and simple, i do not think any of us are qualified to interpet the legalese and determine what the state may decide in advance.

go to a school with grads. leave the experiments to others.

frankenstone
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I like Xavier's approach to licensing. Texas, California, NY .....for now, don't come here if you are looking to get licensed in those states. They are taking the approach of trying to formally affiliate with a US school as an Ace in the Hole for the future of its grads. I personally have seen members of a US University here 2 times in the past 2 months (once a week or two ago). So, things are looking bright. And the President is not afraid to talk to anyone at anytime with any concerns they may have. A good open door policy.

Frankenstone

neilc
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I like Xavier's approach to licensing. Texas, California, NY .....for now, don't come here if you are looking to get licensed in those states. They are taking the approach of trying to formally affiliate with a US school as an Ace in the Hole for the future of its grads. I personally have seen members of a US University here 2 times in the past 2 months (once a week or two ago). So, things are looking bright. And the President is not afraid to talk to anyone at anytime with any concerns they may have. A good open door policy.

Frankenstone

how is a US univ affiliation going to change licensure problems???? i don't think that is a criteria (outside of clinicals from all schools requiring a formal agreement) mentioned anywhere....

for example, my school has several research affiliations with several stateside schools. how does that help? MUA has affiliations with some programs at harvard? how does that help?

it would be nice to have an affiliation, but to extrapolate from that an increase in licensability seems to be a bit of a stretch...

honesty from admin about TX and CA is refreshing, but it should be expanded to include a lot more than that. it is a dice roll right now, in all but the easiest states.

AUCMD2006
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
"This is not true at all! XUSOM grads are eligible for liscenses all but a handful of states"

that is basically what i said. the majority of states (30-40) shouldn't be an issue but the states like california, states that use their list like new mexico, nevada, arizona (correct me if i am wrong i don't remember the exact states right of back) new york, kansas with the 15 year rule, and tough states like colorado, texas then there are the states with specific rules and long paperwork like pensylvania, alaska, and florida.

i would say if you are a charter class of any new school you should get confortable knowing that you may need to work in the "less desireable" states until more people get licensed in other states.....

we (foreign gards) already basicaly take the leftover spots but coming from a school that has no track record will just make it more difficult. why don't you look at the states were SC grads are being licensed in? that should give you a clue as to were you can work from new school....it would probably be a better deal for you guys b/c you don't have to explain the charter issue so if SC has someone working there i would personally count that as a 'good to go' state on your side.

good luck

frankenstone
05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
how is a US univ affiliation going to change licensure problems???? i don't think that is a criteria (outside of clinicals from all schools requiring a formal agreement) mentioned anywhere....

The affiliations will be more than research affiliations, and also it will help with credibility when it come time to apply for licensing. Which is not too far in the future.

Frankenstone

AUCMD2006
05-28-2005, 12:32 AM
how will affiliations help with licensing or credibility? i don't see the connection. the only thing that helps with licensing are outside approvals so until a school has NY, Cali, FL approvals you can have all the affiliations you want the only thing that an affiliation says is that the school is paying the hospital for students to train there...how that translates to credibiulity i don't know?????

neilc
05-28-2005, 04:11 AM

The affiliations will be more than research affiliations, and also it will help with credibility when it come time to apply for licensing. Which is not too far in the future.

Frankenstone

no offense, but i really think you are just buying an admin's line to sell you something...

what kind of affiliation are they going to have?? a pre-med agreement? visiting professors? research? all of the above? i cannot think of a single affiliation agreement (other than they agree to accept you into this stateside school, and give you a US diplomla!) that would make one iota of difference come licensure time...

i wish xavier the best of luck, but right now, a good portion of the states are simply out of reach. and, unless you can demonstrate how this magical affiliation will work, i think that it is a bit misleading to claim that this will open any doors.

when xavier gets licensed grads, great. post them. that will be a good indicator. until then, you have to realize that you guys have no real idea what kind of problems the states may have with your school, and which ones will be just fine with it.

godeep85
05-28-2005, 03:01 PM
The few states which are hard for liscensing in the US are difficult for almost every carib school, apart from maybe ross or sgu. Getting a spot in residency is up to the student and the board scores... the school you attend can only take you so far. Sure it would be nice to get liscensure in any state you want... but you cant come to the caribean and expect to be at harvard... in general the carribean schools are of less quality then US schools, so a student or prospective student cannot expect their every desire, and u have to make sacrifice to become a MD, thats the name of the game...

if your as good as your expectations you should be in a US med school and not complaining about lisensure on forums.

Again its all in the hands of the student... a few states u cant practice in... o well, live with it...

frankenstone
05-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Still plety of states to be licensed in. A handful of states is of no concern to me. But I am well aware of them.

Frankenstone

AUCMD2006
05-28-2005, 06:13 PM
"Getting a spot in residency is up to the student and the board scores"

yes that is true but yoru school has to have all the paperwork/approvals, etc in order for some states to even look at you so it is not entirely up to you...

not everyone can get into even a carib school and some may need a second chance so newer schools have a market but to assume all will be ok is short sighted and overly optimistic. one should know what they are getting into ahead of time.

sad thing is admin will not likely be straight forward with students most of the time and even current students can get carried away. just look back at SJ posts from frankenstone, he was all about SJ and glorifying all things SJ...how do you know things will not be like that at xavier 2 years from now? it all seems great now but you don't know how stable a place is until it has a long enough record....

that is why choosing a school with a track record of practicing doctors is the safest first choice.

drj2b
06-17-2005, 12:10 AM
i'm aware of calif, texas, kansas and a few other as being very difficult for licencing for foreign mds.....

but ny? what makes ny so difficult?

sukhtinder
06-18-2005, 11:19 AM
great posts..

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.