PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Adjustment???

dtanitaSO
06-29-2003, 02:18 AM
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for life on the island. I've been looking into taking some online courses and or writing a book. I know I need to keep myself busy while my spouse is busy going to classes and studying to avoid going out of my mind! :D

For those of you who are on the island already, what was the biggest adjustment you had to make??? Was there anything that came up (emotionally or physically) that you hadn't anticipated? :roll:

Kat
08-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Hello,
Seems we are in the same boat....I have also contemplated writing a book, looking into photography, or some other hobby that could subsidize some of these loans we are going to accumulate. Just wondering if you ever got any good advice, or found out more about this. Moving there seems very romantic, but island insanity could set in pretty quickly!
Mike

microphage
08-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Title it, "The Life of a Medical Student's Wife" -must read for all married couples considering medical school.

emerson24
08-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Moving there seems very romantic :?

Ummm, I think you saw one too many advertisements for sandals :lol: . I don't think it's Aruba like. I may be wrong, but I haven't heard one describe it as such.

As far as writing a book, maybe it could be "The Hunt for Stephanie B." :lol:

JewishDr'sWife
05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
1. Island time. Nothing is done like we have done in the states. If they say it'll be here in a couple days, bet on a week. If they say it's a half hour count on it being four...then again, they don't seem to care (unless you're at the school) if you're late for an appointment :)

2. Salons (like georgina's nails) are very old school. No drills here it's all the hand filing stuff so make sure you're not in a rush. Also, When you do credit cards there the tip is not done with the card so make sure you have some cash

3. HAVE CASH. 80% of the islands merchants do not take credit cards

4. Do not buy meat from le grande marche. It is usually rotten but looks fine when you buy it. try lido market in maho.

5. Checks take about a month to cash here, even at the bank

6. Drive carefully in the simpson bay bridge area and the airport area. The police are corrupt and will have any reason to pull you over and demand bribe money from you or they'll threaten to take you to jail.

7. make sure to start every conversation with natives as "good morning/afternoon how are you doing today?" or they will be really rude to you, even at store where we are used to the employees being polite to us ( like banks, hotels, retail places and so on)

8. Do not expect to go shopping for food on Sundays. Twice we went for milk on sunday and three places didn't have anymore. Monday is the best day to go. ( I guess they're waiting for the ship to come in or whatever :D )

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.