PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo

Donno70
02-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I hear of many married students bringing their families with them. Has anyone here attended school with their family back home? I'm facing this situation, as it is most sensible to me not to uproot the base camp...at least now. Although my family is nearby in Florida (1 hour away) and my 2 kids are grown (one starting FSU), it will still take some adjusting. Those, if there are any with similar situations, feel free to share your thoughts. Thanks.

DM

sheikh1
05-02-2005, 07:40 PM
I am also comming without my family, take it easy!!!

restlesseye
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
i have almost finished my basic sciences with my family. its tough with or without them as i had them stay at home for a semester. i was fortunate that my wife has been very supportive and things went relatively smoothly. others unfortunately have had some really tough times. sounds like you have a good solid base which will make you succeed. just dont forget your base because being a doctor is not just about you alone. make sure you include your family in your decisions thats important too.

sheikh1
05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
i have almost finished my basic sciences with my family. its tough with or without them as i had them stay at home for a semester. i was fortunate that my wife has been very supportive and things went relatively smoothly. others unfortunately have had some really tough times. sounds like you have a good solid base which will make you succeed. just dont forget your base because being a doctor is not just about you alone. make sure you include your family in your decisions thats important too.Thank you for your advice bro, my whife is 100% supportive... thanks to God!!!

Donno70
05-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Nothin' to it but to do it! As I keep telling myself: The regret of a missed lifetime opportunity will far outweigh the sorrow of a temporary separation.

DM

microphage
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
i have almost finished my basic sciences with my family. its tough with or without them as i had them stay at home for a semester. i was fortunate that my wife has been very supportive and things went relatively smoothly. others unfortunately have had some really tough times. sounds like you have a good solid base which will make you succeed. just dont forget your base because being a doctor is not just about you alone. make sure you include your family in your decisions thats important too.

similar situation for me...

Tough but you get through it and you will owe your wife dearly when the paychecks start coming in(or in my case, loans checks...) :lol:

sheikh1
05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Tomorrow is my 10th year anniversay, It is kinda hard to be without your family, but along telephone call will do the trick.

grace
05-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it's been difficult for you. My husband headed off to St. Maarten almost three months before me and that definitely wasn't easy.

I'm sure your spouse will enjoy a nice phone call on your anniversary.

sheikh1
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
I am solo and I am doing fine, and my family is doing fine as well. Whether you come with a family or not, it aint easy to be on a carib....Island and your family is far far away.
But spending sometime with your family during the break is a big help. Just make sure during your day of depature, you live very early in the morning when everyone is a sleep.

orthonut
09-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Nothin' to it but to do it! As I keep telling myself: The regret of a missed lifetime opportunity will far outweigh the sorrow of a temporary separation.

DM That's pretty much what Mr. Orthonut said. Impossible for him to come down with me as his business is tied to the mountain. No matter where I went to school we'd have been separated, but I'm going to be a DVM for the next 40 years (God willing!) and he'd rather have me doing that so he can enjoy peace during his retirement (instead of listening to me shoulda, coulda, woulda)

Nimmuk
09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I brought my spouse with me, to be honest, I couldnt do this with out him. If you have a strong relationship, you guys will survive. THis is a tiny step down compared to the overall picute. Good luck

sheikh1
11-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Going solo without your spouse is a tough decission, but sometimes you don't have any choice but to do it. I have a wife and a four year old boy in Philadelphia, it seems I miss them more than they miss me. Believe me time goes fast, and before you know it, you will be glad for what you did!!!

OLDPRO
12-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Yep, moved to england a year ago to attend a school, (it's infamous) and now My wife and son are going back to the US (to live rent free, work and help out her MOM and Father) while I go to the carib for 16 more months.

We are a lot older then norm (both in our 40's) so for some reason it seems hard but not as much as it would be when I was younger.

We are both looking forward to the adventures ahead and she really understands how hard medschool has been so she thinks this will work out fine.

I hope!:rolleyes:

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.