PDA

View Full Version : Loans

lavender
02-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Has anyone heard if St chris has a new source of financing yet. I have tried Teri and they turned me down. I have a credit score of 718 but they wont approve me because I had a balance of 1200.00 on a credit card. If I cant get a loan I cant stay in school. Any suggestions?

drzed
02-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Has anyone heard if St chris has a new source of financing yet. I have tried Teri and they turned me down. I have a credit score of 718 but they wont approve me because I had a balance of 1200.00 on a credit card. If I cant get a loan I cant stay in school. Any suggestions?

Believe me, if new source of loans became available, it would be posted IMMEDIATELY. Unfortunately, nothing has yet to mature.

Strange that you didn't get approved with a score of 718...I thought Teri cutoff was 680 or something?

ValuelessMD
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM

Nebakanezer
02-03-2005, 08:54 PM

You could always start up a class action lawsuit against Keybank. I am sure you could get a lot of FMG students to sign up. Failing that, there is always bankruptcy.
Bankruptcy is a surefire to make sure that you won't get anymore loans for at least a decade, if not longer.

As far as other sources of loan monies, you would have a better chance winning the Lottery.

scluton
02-05-2005, 07:34 AM
wat about ppl like me that already have loans from key bank.....i asked the administration but i couldnt get a stright answer out of them. but can i still take out a loan from key bank or do i have to go through another bank and can i do that. b/c if i cant than i have no other way of paying my tuition. wat can i do to take out another loan.

bts4202
02-05-2005, 08:58 AM
wat about ppl like me that already have loans from key bank.....i asked the administration but i couldnt get a stright answer out of them. but can i still take out a loan from key bank or do i have to go through another bank and can i do that. b/c if i cant than i have no other way of paying my tuition. wat can i do to take out another loan.

This has been discussed quite a bit on this forum and several others, but you cannot take any further loans out from Keybank... period. For now, you must try and use Terri/IEFC or find an alternative source of financing. Call Fran Price at the NJ office and she can help you out.

SocratesBC
02-13-2005, 12:41 PM
For someone like BTS, or many others like hime (who have doc daddies or mommies, or rich parents) it's really EASY for them to be approved for Teri Loan. For many other students, like Lavender, it's going to be a problem obtaining a loan from Teri. Most of us do not have rich doc parents to CO-SIGN, so please don't be misled by BTS's comments, that it only took him a few minutes on the phone with the lender!

It's SUCH a MISLEADING statement!

Let's be realistic! How many of us have rich parents, or doc mommies and daddies?

I am quite surprised why there aren't that many students concerned with the lack of NEW funding information for the upcoming semesters.

What's St. Chris doing about it?

One of my friends specifically was asked by one of the financial aid person, if he or she knew of any other banks that would provide LOANS for students! Wow, that was the kicker, I thought! A person who works at the school's financial aid office is asking one of the students if he/she knew of a funding source?

What's the owners of the school doing about it anyway?

A lot of the students will have difficulty continuing their education, if there aren't other resources to funds? And, now ,the school's trying to collect all 3 semester's worth of tuition all upfront? What are the students going to live on? If a student gets $25,000 max for an academic year (it still hasn't told by St. Chris, whether academic year would be 2 or 3 semester's under Teri Loan policy) and has to pay $7500 x 3= $22,500, a typical student would only have $2,500 to live on for an entire academic year! Well, St. Chris, WE HAVE A PROBLEM! Don't you think?

bts4202
02-13-2005, 01:06 PM
it certainly seems as though you have something against me socrates. i can't imagine what i did to you. All i have ever done is try to help my friends and fellow students. I shared my experience with getting loans, take from it what you will. I am going through the same thing everyone else is from SMU, MUA, SABA, etc.

Plus, the loan cycle question has been answered numerous times. Please call IEFC yourself to get an answer you will believe.

PostBac
02-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Honestly BTS4202, I don't know why you even bothering acknowledging these statements........

bts4202
02-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Honestly BTS4202, I don't know why you even bothering acknowledging these statements........

Your right, I shouldn't... point taken :D

SocratesBC
02-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey, BTS,

I have nothing against you. Just trying to get some FACTS, since they seem to be so lacking from the administration.

We know that you are only doing your best to inform the students. However, please do inform only the TRUTH, and do not distort any FACTS.

Some of us remember you telling us, once upon a time, that the first time pass rate on Step 1 for St. Chris students is well over 90%!

Since we've been a student here, and have been in contact with some of the students who've finished their basic sciences, the realistic and TRUE figure on the PASS RATE is MUCH LOWER!

All we want are the FACTS and correct information at appropriate points in our academic career! That's all!

Nothing person, BTS, and we do appreciate what you are trying to do, and you do have to take some licks, when you took on this job of being a moderator. We think it goes with the job, don't you think?

PostBac
02-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Again, BTS PLEASE do not bother responding to this guy. He says "we" when he should be saying "me". I think his displays of frustration may be due to what is called "binding anxiety" but that's just my guess & nothing more.....

SocratesBC
02-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Yup, BTS, No need to respond.

My bad...meant to say "me" instead of "we", but I'm sure there are others in the student population who feel the same way about many issues. But, yes, definitely meant to say "Me" and "I."

Let's end the dialogue here....enough said.

sunshine201
02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Socrates, just want to let you know, I don't have a rich mom or dad. I don't have a job. I live off my student loan, did have one bad credit, but did not have a problem getting approve by Terri. As long I have proven to Terri that I took care of the bad debt. Anyway, you seem to waste too much time gossipping, talking bad about other people and not get all your fact straight. Need to do more reseach before you post anything, coz you are sounding very imature and pathetic.

Cheers

PostBac
02-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Thank you Sunshine!! Wouldn't want Socrates to think BTS & I are conspiring againt him. Socrates, seriously, it will end when you stop the nonsense, until then it will just remain dormant until you post again (which will probably be like 5 mins..jk)......just something for you to think about.

scluton
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
lets stop with the nonsence and lets get back to the discussion at hand. this isnt a place for name calling. its a place to get some answers since we cant get a straight answer out of the administration.

PostBac
02-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Maybe someone (other than Socrates) should ask the Adm???? Now there's a thought.........PS it spelled "nonsense", jusy an FYI:).

Nebakanezer
02-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Maybe someone (other than Socrates) should ask the Adm???? Now there's a thought.........PS it spelled "nonsense", jusy an FYI:). Why would someone else get more/different information than what Socrates has obtained thus far, Donna?

Also, as for your diagnosis of Socrates having "Blinding Anxiety", I think you are totally off-base. It seems rather rational to have anxiety when dealing with an important part of your career, yet having little/no verifiable information to go on. Do you have any background in psychology/psychiatry, or were you just spouting garbage?

PostBac
02-14-2005, 12:57 PM
****, it figures you'd inappropriately chime in. Not only did I solve the loan 'situation' or get 'answers' or whatever the original topic was in this thread, I also have a clinical list. How? I did the research.
PS- Apparently, YOU didn't read my entire post, I never claimed to do anything more than voice my OPINION. It's ok to voice an opinion here, I mean it is an open forum, right??
And now I will use the advice that I gave BTS.....LOL.......LOL.......LOL

Nebakanezer
02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
****, it figures you'd inappropriately chime in. Not only did I solve the loan 'situation' or get 'answers' or whatever the original topic was in this thread, I also have a clinical list. How? I did the research.
PS- Apparently, YOU didn't read my entire post, I never claimed to do anything more than voice my OPINION. It's ok to voice an opinion here, I mean it is an open forum, right??
And now I will use the advice that I gave BTS.....LOL.......LOL.......LOL
Last I checked, it wasn't inappropriate to defend ones friends.

Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if certain students were able to get all the information they want, especially when certain students are ****** a certain individual that sits on the Board of Trustees. If anyone doubts the veracity of this statement, ask around the 5th semester for the people who have actually seen certain students leaving this certain individuals place at all hours of the night/morning.

VCJ
02-14-2005, 07:42 PM
ohh god!!! lol mike mike mike

lavender
02-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Infi is right if you only knew what did go on here in Luton. Half of the 5th semster people were taking retakes last semseter should have had to take the whole course over. Not only that one person got caught cheating not once but twice and nothing was ever done.(she was someones special friend) Others never attented class enough to meet the 80% rule and guess what they are on their way to clinicals. I was told by two 5th semester people that they were supposed to retake 2 or 3 semester but they are not here they are in the US. Does this tell you anything?

bts4202
02-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey Infi is right if you only knew what did go on here in Luton. Half of the 5th semster people were taking retakes last semseter should have had to take the whole course over. Not only that one person got caught cheating not once but twice and nothing was ever done.(she was someones special friend) Others never attented class enough to meet the 80% rule and guess what they are on their way to clinicals. I was told by two 5th semester people that they were supposed to retake 2 or 3 semester but they are not here they are in the US. Does this tell you anything?

I agree that the school has been very inconsistent with enforcing the 80% attendance rule and has let people continue on even if technically they should have repeated. Cali is the only state I know that definately requires 80% attendance, but there may one or two more, i am not sure. If the student does not attend 80%, it will only hurt that student in the event a state asks for attendance records...

However, please refrain from unsubstantiated gossip like who is sleeping with a prof or admin or whatever. The rumors are most often non-sense and peoples vindictiveness against someone they feel is doing better than them in school or who gets along with admin. There are plenty of rumors about me with plenty of people saying they have seen this or that and none of the ones I have heard are true. Not to mention that those types of comments are highly inappropriate on valuemd and have not been tolerated on other forums.

Nebakanezer
02-17-2005, 02:50 PM

However, please refrain from unsubstantiated gossip like who is sleeping with a prof or admin or whatever. The rumors are most often non-sense and peoples vindictiveness against someone they feel is doing better than them in school or who gets along with admin. There are plenty of rumors about me with plenty of people saying they have seen this or that and none of the ones I have heard are true. Not to mention that those types of comments are highly inappropriate on valuemd and have not been tolerated on other forums.
"The Price For The Devils favors Is Oft Too Great For Those That Value Their Eternal Souls" :D

TXRN
02-19-2005, 05:57 AM

Lavender, you meant you had an old bad debt for 1200.00?
If it is an old collection, the chance of getting Teri loan is zero.
If you pay it off, it will show a balance of zero, but it will still be on your credit file for 7 years.

My suggestion is to pay it off , show Teri that the balance is zero, and ask them for a reconsideration. It does not hurt to try. But the thing is, Teri is getting tougher to get. I knew someone who had the similar problem and got denied after reconsideration.

1st thing to do is to clean up your credit file. Yes, you are right.
No loan = no school unless you have rich family members.

lavender
02-19-2005, 11:04 AM
TXRN,
I have good credit. I just had a bill of 1200.00 that is now paid off. Everytime I call I get another reason for denial. I hope we get some kind of loans soon. I did have IEFC take a look at the app and they did approve it with a cosigner.

drz
02-27-2005, 04:18 AM
I recently spoke to Kerri about the loan situation and the response I got was she does not know they are working on it in NJ. I know we are all in the same boat here but something needs to be done about this soon. Most students here are on loans, and it is almost impossible to live on what terri gives you per calander year in the Uk. If we were back in the usa then it might be possible but you could not do all your clinicals back to back bec you just dont get enough money to do it.

I agree with Lavender and Bts for the attendance policy and exam retake the school has been very inconsitent with their policies up to now. The rules are yet to be applied across the board to everyone. So Far it just seems that they selectively apply. Hopefully this will change with the new dean but so far does not appear to be so since there apparently was a policy change mid semester. I dont know if this is better or worse then the usual policy change at the end of the semester and then make the rules retroactive in effect. I do have to give the new dean credit on this part though, the new policy change was listed on blackboard, and posted in the atrium. So it is a step in the right direction finally!!

IndianSClink
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I recently spoke to Kerri about the loan situation and the response I got was she does not know they are working on it in NJ. I know we are all in the same boat here but something needs to be done about this soon. Most students here are on loans, and it is almost impossible to live on what terri gives you per calander year in the Uk..

SABA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE & MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE
AMERICAS ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP WITH STUDENT LOAN XPRESS

April 11, 2005 -- Saba University School of Medicine (Saba) and Medical University of the Americas (MUA) are proud to
announce an agreement with Student Loan Xpress (SLX) to provide education financing to all eligible students.

Is St.Chris working on some types of loans ???????????
SABA and MUA students got Health Loan Xpress.

IndianSClink
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I recently spoke to Kerri about the loan situation and the response I got was she does not know they are working on it in NJ. I know we are all in the same boat here but something needs to be done about this soon. Most students here are on loans, and it is almost impossible to live on what terri gives you per calander year in the Uk..

SABA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE & MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE
AMERICAS ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP WITH STUDENT LOAN XPRESS

April 11, 2005 -- Saba University School of Medicine (Saba) and Medical University of the Americas (MUA) are proud to
announce an agreement with Student Loan Xpress (SLX) to provide education financing to all eligible students.

Is St.Chris working on some types of loans ???????????
SABA and MUA students got Health Loan Xpress.

To: All St. Matthew's University Students
Date: April 26, 2005
Re: Financial Aid

I am pleased to announce that St. Matthew's University is now an approved
school for loans through Student Loan Xpress Company.

IndianSClink
05-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Looks like Student Loan Xpress will be replaced Keybank . Foreign medical schools are going after Student Loan Xpress. The following schools have been approved and listed. Student Loan Xpress will be the major loan market for foreign medical schools.

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF ANTIGUA

AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF THE CARIBBEAN

MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE AMERICAS

SABA UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSIDAD IBEROAMERICANA (UNIBE)

ST. MATTHEW'S has been approved, but not listed.

Don't think you can get Teri Loan with a credit card balance above 30% of your credit limit on each credit card. Everybody knows that Teri is SUX.
From what I heard, you can not have any collections even if it is paid off.
If you have a collection with a good co-signer, you still can not get Teri loan. Transunion credit score must be above 650. No late payment for the last 2 years. Must have at least 2 credit cards on your credit file for the last 2 years. If you have mortgage payments, you will need a co-signer.

If you can not get Teri loan and there is no rich mommy and daddy, then
check online to see if you can qualify for Student Loan Xpress with other
schools above.

gambino
05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I spoke with Fran on Friday and was told that the school needs a Dept. of Education Code in order to be eligible for this. Does this make sense? Especially since other than AUC and possibly St. Matthews, I don't know of any others that have Dept. of Education codes.

regards.
sh

The following schools have been approved and listed. Student Loan Xpress will be the major loan market for foreign medical schools.

SABA UNIVERSITY

Don't think you can get Teri Loan with a credit card balance above 30% of your credit limit on each credit card. Everybody knows that Teri is SUX.
From what I heard, you can not have any collections even if it is paid off.
If you have a collection with a good co-signer, you still can not get Teri loan. Transunion credit score must be above 650. No late payment for the last 2 years. Must have at least 2 credit cards on your credit file for the last 2 years. If you have mortgage payments, you will need a co-signer.

If you can not get Teri loan and there is no rich mommy and daddy, then
check online to see if you can qualify for Student Loan Xpress with other
schools above.

IndianSClink
05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I spoke with Fran on Friday and was told that the school needs a Dept. of Education Code in order to be eligible for this. Does this make sense? Especially since other than AUC and possibly St. Matthews, I don't know of any others that have Dept. of Education codes.

regards.
sh

The following schools have been approved and listed. Student Loan Xpress will be the major loan market for foreign medical schools.

SABA UNIVERSITY

I don't think Fran knows the inside info. Need to talk to her big boss.
AUC and AUA have the Dept. Ed codes. MUA and SABA DO NOT have Dept. Ed codes. ST. Matthew's students get federal loans because of the master's program at St. ****** college, but St. Matthew's DOES NOT have Dept. Ed code on its own.

MUA and SABA can not get federal loans, so they don't have the Dept. Ed codes. AUA uses Dept. Ed code from an indian school that AUA is associated with. AUA and AUC students are eligible for federal loans.
UNIBE is not eligible for federal loans, so they do not have the Dept. Ed code.

There are only 4 schools that have Dept. Ed codes: SGU, ROSS, AUC, and AUA. Their students are eligible for U.S federal loans.

Hope this helps.

IndianSClink
05-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Tips for Teri loan

I know lots of people will be applying for Teri loan at some point in this semester.
Here is my situation: Today, I got approved for 25k , 8/2005 to 4/2006, with Citizens Bank. My medachiever loan will be running out at the end of 8/2005, 3rd semester.

You can apply for Teri loan 3 months ahead of time. Now is the time to check your credit file online, the fee is $15 including the score. Check your Transunion credit file first before applying for Teri because you donít want to apply and then get denied. Teri loan is harder to get than medachiever loan. Clean your credit file before applying.

I have $ 2,000. credit card balance on one card, but this balance is below 70% of my credit limit on one card. Keep your credit card balance low. You will get denied if your credit card balance is too high. I have two late payments (30 days) 2 years ago. No collection. My Transunion credit score is 655.

Good luck!

OLDPRO
05-04-2005, 02:08 PM
If you have any problems on your credit report try to fix them 6-4 months ahead of time. Terri is very very tough on lending. It was originaly intended for an added loan to Salie mae but for us is the primary loan for now.

They are unfeeling and don't care.

I have used an online service for the past year at $9 a month to get reports from all three agencies to check credit. you can check as many times as you want to see if things are fixed.

https://www.mycreditkeeper.com

You can quit after you don't need them any more.

Nebakanezer
05-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Tips for Teri loan

I know lots of people will be applying for Teri loan at some point in this semester.
Here is my situation: Today, I got approved for 25k , 8/2005 to 4/2006, with Citizens Bank. My medachiever loan will be running out at the end of 8/2005, 3rd semester.

You can apply for Teri loan 3 months ahead of time. Now is the time to check your credit file online, the fee is $15 including the score. Check your Transunion credit file first before applying for Teri because you donít want to apply and then get denied. Teri loan is harder to get than medachiever loan. Clean your credit file before applying.

I have $ 2,000. credit card balance on one card, but this balance is below 70% of my credit limit on one card. Keep your credit card balance low. You will get denied if your credit card balance is too high. I have two late payments (30 days) 2 years ago. No collection. My Transunion credit score is 655.

Good luck!
So you can reapply for a new loan that would start on 4/2006 or you would have to wait until 8/2006?

IndianSClink
05-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Tips for Teri loan

Good luck!
So you can reapply for a new loan that would start on 4/2006 or you would have to wait until 8/2006?

If you need it again in 4/2006, then apply on 1/2006.
If you need it again in 8/2006, then apply on 5/2006.

I will reapply again in 1/2006 because i will need it again in 4/2006.

You're Fired!
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM

oldquack
05-04-2005, 04:04 PM
look at this site first- due to a new agreement with the states - the credit companies have to give you your report FREE once per 12 months - plan is rolling out as we speak by state- I have to wait to June for mine, but some are available now

About time the companies were made to make available information that we are judged on without charging us for the privilage

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

hope it helps

IndianSClink
05-04-2005, 04:15 PM
you all should reapply whenever you are eligible, for the ***** allowed, whether you need the money now or not, just apply and get the money in your hands, even if you need it next year. You don't know the fate of all these loan programs with offshore schools.

Yes, I agree. Reapply really early. Also, we are dealing with a tough guarantor, Teri. I feel really bad for people who can not get Teri.
It's a night mare for them. We don't have time to worry about loans when school starts.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.