PDA

View Full Version : What's with the heating system?

SocratesBC
01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
What's up with the heating in the upstairs classrooms?

Students have addressed this issue to the school administrators, more than a week ago, and thus far, it's still not fixed! According to reliable sources, they aren't going to do anything about it, because it will cost too much money to repair the problem!

Some officials are telling the students that the students can purchase and bring their own heaters to class! Now, others officials are telling the students that it's a fire hazard, so that students can't bring the heaters to class. If the school can't provide HEATING, the students should be entitled to fend for themselves.

Do we pay thousands of dollars per semester and still have to provide our own heating? It's definitely not acceptable. We need a solution, "RIGHT NOW!"

Students are literally freezing and I've even heard of some students getting SICK, because it's so cold in the classroom, and a lot of them are wearing their coats, gloves, layered clothing, etc. just to keep warm, during lecture. Now, if the school can't or won't provide adequate learning environment, then they shouldn't enforce the 80% attendance policy! Seems like, St. Chris takes one step forward, and then takes two GIANT steps backward!

ALL WE ARE ASKING IS A BASIC NEED FOR A CONDUCIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT! WE CANNOT POSSIBLY CONCENTRATE ON LISTENING TO LECTURES, WHEN WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT HAVING TO KEEP WARM!

drzed
01-25-2005, 06:55 PM
What's up with the heating in the upstairs classrooms?

Students have addressed this issue to the school administrators, more than a week ago, and thus far, it's still not fixed! According to reliable sources, they aren't going to do anything about it, because it will cost too much money to repair the problem!

Some officials are telling the students that the students can purchase and bring their own heaters to class! Now, others officials are telling the students that it's a fire hazard, so that students can't bring the heaters to class. If the school can't provide HEATING, the students should be entitled to fend for themselves.

We spoke to Phil and Dr. Weeks about the issue. According to Phil, the matter has been directed to Dr. L. and it's supposed to be sorted out within the week. I doubt that means it'll be FIXED over the week, but hopefully we'll have someone in to take a look at the climate control unit.

curious_george
01-25-2005, 08:22 PM
you all are cold? is friggen hot in those rooms...

ansgenius
01-26-2005, 02:18 AM
You guys should come switch rooms with us or the 1st semesters. I'm always hot in my classroom, or it could just be me :D .

ValuelessMD
01-26-2005, 02:31 AM

SocratesBC
01-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Yup, you are right! We have two different seasons in the classrooms: On the first floor classrooms, it's "Summer", but for the upstairs classrooms, it's "Winter".

We spoke to Phil, the maintenance guy, and he says that the plumbers were out and that there's nothing they CAN DO about the heating. One other solution is to get the AC/Heating vents repaired (they had someone out to give them an estimate few months ago), and it was decided by the school admin, that it would be too expensive. So you know what?

Just like so many major issues that hasn't been resolved, the school admininstration is hoping that the weather will get warmer, and that they won't have to fix it. According to reliable sources, Kerry says that the school has "NO MONEY" for such trivial repairs!

Well, we pay thousands of dollars, and if the school doesn't want to spend a few bucks to have their students study in an adequate learning environment, I don't know what they are thinking. Issues like this will definitely "TURN OFF" prospective students.

Come on, this is the 21st century, and we are in one of the most civilized, and technologically advance country in the world, but if they can't even get the heating problem resolved, it's really a SAD state of affairs for ST. CHRIS, Isn't it?

What would take the school to get the heating turned on?

Answer: Maybe a few students, who gets "PNEUMONIA" and have their parents SUE the school!

For all those who are "COLD", please get your parents to call the school! Obviously, as of now, we, students, are talking to DEAF ears!

ValuelessMD
01-26-2005, 05:15 AM

SocratesBC
01-26-2005, 05:45 AM
I don't think they ever discovered dentistry here in UK! By looking at so many of the Brits, it seems like they are still in SEARCH of dentistry!

Thier idea of teeth cleaninig is, just flushing the teeth and gums with flouride water, and that's it!

No wonder there are so many people with such bad teeth!

Maybe the Queen and her royal family should donate to the NHS dentistry, so that they can take care of their peasants better!

Really surprised that the normal citizens of UK put up with this kind of so called socialized NHS health service. It's definitely a JOKE!

As an American, I really feel PITY for the normal, common people of UK!

Royal family spends thousands of pounds for their birthday party, but the people are suffering, and can't even take care of their health, and teeth!

Gotta get out of this 18th century environment as soon as possible!

bts4202
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey, if the admin had people out months ago and decided not to replace something that was not broken, it is no big surprise. But now that the heating is broken, it will be fixed. Of course the plumbers can do nothing about the heating!! By now you should know how inefficient england is and how long it takes them to do even the most trivial tasks (liek 6 weeks for cable install!!)

BTW, people say a lot of stuff about kerri, but your "reliable source" is no more reliable than any other gossip unless she said it you herself.

SocratesBC
01-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey, BTS,

Obviously, you are all "PRO" school, and Admin. However, in this case, the TRUTH was revealed by the school employee, who knows exactly what happened to the heating/cooling issue. That person says that the school knew that the heating/cooling system was broken months ago, and they had an estimate done, and of course, this being St. Chris, decided not to shell out the money at that time. That's why we are NOW SUFFERING in the ICE COLD classrooms, and some of us are getting SICK! I'm sure if someone gets really sick, and their parents SUE the school, then the school might do something...this is so typical of St. Chris,during my studies here to date...it's one LIES after another....granted, that they've come a long way, in terms of bettering the facilities, etc...but again...they take one step forward, and then take two GIANT steps back! When are they going to realize that most of N. American students aren't your typical British citizens who would take such C _ _ P from the administration!

Why can't the school take PROACTIVE actions, instead of constantly trying to PUT OUT the FIRE, when it happens!

A lot of us can't wait to get out of this type of environment as soon as possible! Some of us want to leave or transfer out of this sort of environment, in which the administration constantly lies, but are stuck because most of the other foreign medical schools won't even accept St. Christ's credits! Now, what does that say for the school, if they can't even get basic necessities in order, which they knew about, months ago!

This sure will attract so many new prospective students, wouldn't it?

bts4202
01-26-2005, 06:36 PM
****, if this kind of stuff pisses you off, i would hate to see how you would respond in the caribb! Hahaha.

There was a very similar post to this on the Ross forum a few months ago about the AC unit breaking at the school and everyone was really hot and complaining that the school was doing it on purpose or some other nonsense. I guess no matter where you go paranoia is rampant.

BTW, SMU takes our credits, so if you really want to leave, maybe you should look into it.

drzed
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
****, if this kind of stuff pisses you off, i would hate to see how you would respond in the caribb! Hahaha.

There was a very similar post to this on the Ross forum a few months ago about the AC unit breaking at the school and everyone was really hot and complaining that the school was doing it on purpose or some other nonsense. I guess no matter where you go paranoia is rampant.

BTW, SMU takes our credits, so if you really want to leave, maybe you should look into it.

BTS, no jokes, the rooms are freezing. Maybe I'll snap a couple pictures of 3rd semester and 5th semester so people here can see us in our winter clothes/coats trying to take notes. In our 3rd semester class, I think EVERY single one of us had our scarves and coats on during class, and most invested in gloves too.

The problem with the climate control unit has been the case for a few months now, and the school did get an estimate for repair. The control units shut themselves off after a couple mins, and they have no control over the temperature.

The downstairs classrooms and the other side of the building are warm because the heat radiators are working everywhere else. They need to do something about this soon. Just because it's England, doesn't mean a technician can't be here within the week...

Nebakanezer
01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I happen to like the cold, its one of the few times I'm not sweating in class.

neilc
01-26-2005, 09:34 PM

so much for better conditions than the carib, eh? it was not too long ago that you guys were using that as a selling point, now it seems that your admin can not even keep the facilities up to par in a first world country!

nice school you have there.

ValuelessMD
01-27-2005, 04:06 AM

bts4202
01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Come on! It really is not that bad. These artic conditions ppl are speaking of are overstated. So, should the problem be fixed. Of course. But, ppl love to say, " I caught a fish thissssssssssssssssssssssss big!" to prove a point. It aint that bad. What is bad is going to a school that gets wiped out by a hurricane, or shuts down bc of stupidity.

And, give me a break about england vs. the caribbean on living conditions, or eastern europe vs. western europe. Living in the caribbean is no vacation, and eastern europe is still coming out of the dark ages. Anything compared to north america just does not compare period.

When in Rome, as they say...

Valueless, come on man, whats the matter with you??? Things DON"T break anywhere else in the world except the st chris campus!! :roll: :roll:

ansgenius
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok people. Relax. I've spoken to the dean and he said the climate control problem should be resolved by Wednesday at the latest. It's not even cold, I've been up to those rooms and studied for 4 hours straight and not been cold. If you develop hypothermia, then you may want to start wearing more clothes to school other than a t-shirt and shorts. But hey, if you want to transfer out, go right ahead. Just don't let the door hit ya where the good lord spit ya.

drzed
01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
so much for better conditions than the carib, eh? it was not too long ago that you guys were using that as a selling point, now it seems that your admin can not even keep the facilities up to par in a first world country!

nice school you have there.

You've got to be kidding me. So the heat doesn't work in two rooms, and somehow that gets extrapolated to poorer conditions than the carib?

Good thing people aren't telling you guys about our problems with cockroaches, power outs, poor internet service, mosquitos, no A/C, etc.

You've run out of things to criticize eh neil?

drzed
01-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Ok people. Relax. I've spoken to the dean and he said the climate control problem should be resolved by Wednesday at the latest. It's not even cold, I've been up to those rooms and studied for 4 hours straight and not been cold. If you develop hypothermia, then you may want to start wearing more clothes to school other than a t-shirt and shorts. But hey, if you want to transfer out, go right ahead. Just don't let the door hit ya where the good lord spit ya.

You're probably sitting in the back of the 3rd semester room next to the radiator. The radiators don't work for the front 2/3rds of the class, and as far as I know, at all in the 5th semester class.

The weather wasn't tooooo chilly today, so the room was bearable...although, that could've been because I was sitting next to the radiator in the back of the room :lol:

neilc
01-27-2005, 12:44 PM

nah, bts brought it up here...in previous posts he has alluded to how much better london is than the carib, now he is saying that it is the same...that was my point...

neilc
01-27-2005, 12:45 PM
You've run out of things to criticize eh neil?

not worried about this happening with st chris :lol:

ansgenius
01-27-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm sitting in the room right now away from any radiator, in the very front and it's just fine. Not even a little chilly to me. Maybe to someone from Miami, it would be. And don't forget about the giant lizards here in England. One ate my lunch and my friend ******. Why did it have to go and eat my lunch?

SocratesBC
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Ansgenius,

Well, you are sitting in the rooms, now that the weather has warmed up a little bit today. Also, I see that they've put in couple of portable heaters in one of the classrooms, so it will surely be warmer.

Just wait until a COLDER day, and we WANT you to sit in the classroom, preferably in the morning, because in the afternoon, since so many students have been in the classrooms, it is warmer. You and your GIANT LiZARD friend are invited to the North pole soon!

SocratesBC
01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Almost forgot about the Dean's promise of heating repair by next W. That is January 26th, 2005, and not 2006, right? We all just PRAY that the new DEAN can hold his promise, unlike many of the PUPPET DEANS we've had, who have preceded him!

ansgenius
01-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh, I forgot, apparently it gets warmer at night in England. I was there on Tuesday and today in the evening with maybe one other person, and I was happy as a friggin clam. Anytime you want to invite me up there and I don't have class, I'm game. And today, all of the 5th semesters had their jackets off. They have a whole bunch of heaters in there. I talked to the former AMSA prez and he didn't have any complaints. You do realize I was being sarcastic about the lizard right? I wouldn't want you mistaking it for a lie when I don't show up with a lizard. And I have no reason not to trust the dean quite yet. But hey, what do I know, apparently I can't tell the difference between hot and cold.

drzed
01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Oh, I forgot, apparently it gets warmer at night in England. I was there on Tuesday and today in the evening with maybe one other person, and I was happy as a friggin clam. Anytime you want to invite me up there and I don't have class, I'm game. And today, all of the 5th semesters had their jackets off. They have a whole bunch of heaters in there. I talked to the former AMSA prez and he didn't have any complaints. You do realize I was being sarcastic about the lizard right? I wouldn't want you mistaking it for a lie when I don't show up with a lizard. And I have no reason not to trust the dean quite yet. But hey, what do I know, apparently I can't tell the difference between hot and cold.

I guess we're just lying then...you're right dude.

Soon2beAdoc
01-28-2005, 02:53 AM
I think it's to hot in the school now, but I guess that's better then being to cold.

FrenchFrie
01-29-2005, 05:08 PM
why does the school have to pay for the AC/Heating repairs if theyre renting the building? isnt it the landords job?

azskeptic
01-29-2005, 05:28 PM
why does the school have to pay for the AC/Heating repairs if theyre renting the building? isnt it the landords job?

true, and it isn't student's responsibility to be fighting the landlord.

it isn't that cold here in London right now...but wearing a coat and gloves in class would be a hindrance.

azskeptic

SocratesBC
02-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, well, well. angsgenius,

Per your posting, the heating system should have been fixed as of W, Feb. 2nd.
It's now Feb. 11th, and the heating isn't FIXED! What's going on?

Also, the upstairs toilets have been out of order for well over 2 weeks!

When is the school going to repair that? With exams coming up, do they expect all of us to run out to the mall to use the toilets, since there is only the downstairs one working? Where's all our tuition money going to?

Like I said before, these are something that are necessary, and should be resolved IMMEDIATELY?

Are they waiting for SPRING, so that they won't have to repair the HEATING? What about next winter, when other sets of students arrive, and COMPLAIN about the heating? Are they just going to leave the portable heaters? We thought that they were "FIRE HAZARDS."

Oh, as for collecting or requesting 3 semester's worth of tuition upfront, what's up with that? Are they afraid that they won't get their money, now that students on loans can't apply for Medachiever? What's the administration doing about the entier Loan situation?

What exactly is defined as the academic year (2 or 3 semesters), according to Teri? A lot of students won't even be able to live on Teri, after paying the 3 semester's worth of tuition?

Any solutions yet?

curious_george
02-11-2005, 03:16 PM
a couple of people said its not going to be fixed since its too expensive. These "people" are from the SGA so I'd believe them to know more than the avg student body...for me, its more HOT than cold with the heat so high in some of the classes.

drzed
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
a couple of people said its not going to be fixed since its too expensive. These "people" are from the SGA so I'd believe them to know more than the avg student body...for me, its more HOT than cold with the heat so high in some of the classes.

The heat is so high in classes because the CLIMATE CONTROL doesn't work. We have no way of adjusting the temperatures.
It's only going to get worse once summer arrives, when the climate control units won't stay on more than a minute.

But like FrenchFrie said, since the building is leased, it really should be the landlord's responsibility. I have no idea what the dealy is...

curious_george
02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
its REALLY hard to concentrate sometimes b/c it gets too hot in the classes and some people want the windows shut since the cannot hear the lecture over the street level noise...

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.