PDA

View Full Version : ICM/PD

idaman911
01-22-2005, 08:55 PM
please answer this quest honestly
The chances of doing 5th semester in the US is__________________?

Also if i decide on St Chris...and later decide say after a few semesters that i dont like it there...can i transfer to another medical school in the carribbean?

Conway
01-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Do keep in mind though that transferring doesn't look great on your record, and if you transfer to a CA-approved school, you still wouldn't be able to practice in California unless your entire medical education was at a California-approved school.

TXRN
01-23-2005, 02:47 AM

Also if i decide on St Chris...and later decide say after a few semesters that i dont like it there...can i transfer to another medical school in the carribbean?

I'm not sure about doing 5th semester in the US. To see is to believe.

The big 3 schools, SGU, Ross, and AUC WILL NOT take StChris's credits
:( even after you pass the step 1, so you have to start from day 1 with them if you want to go there.

Hope this helps.

ansgenius
01-23-2005, 05:18 AM
St Matthews will take our credits. And as for the chances, beats the hell out of me. I'm not holding my breath for it, but then again, it doesn't really matter to me.

drzed
01-23-2005, 06:56 AM

Maybe you should direct that first question to the president, or at least someone in the know within admin, if you want a solid response. How certain would us students be of the percent chance of St. Chris moving 5th to US? That being said, we've heard Dr. L say that it's 80% likely...

Like TXRN said, the "big 3" doesn't accept transfer credit from St. Chris so you'll have to start fresh if you transfer there.

But, if you're competitive enough to be admitted into the 'big 3' to begin with, you may want to SERIOUSLY consider those schools before coming here.

I'm enjoying my time here, both academically and personally. It's certainly not london, but the student body make that sacrifice that much more worthwhile.

drzed
01-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Do keep in mind though that transferring doesn't look great on your record, and if you transfer to a CA-approved school, you still wouldn't be able to practice in California unless your entire medical education was at a California-approved school.

I hear this all the time, but is there really much truth to this? If you have a transcript showing great progress at your old school as well as your new school, why would it look poorly on your record, especially if you transferred to a 'better' school. Sorry, I just really don't understand that point, but I hear it everywhere on these forums.

TXRN
01-23-2005, 10:05 AM

I hear this all the time, but is there really much truth to this? If you have a transcript showing great progress at your old school as well as your new school, why would it look poorly on your record, especially if you transferred to a 'better' school. Sorry, I just really don't understand that point, but I hear it everywhere on these forums.

DrZed, I think it's about stability. It's like having one stable job than to have multiple jobs on your job application.

ValuelessMD
01-23-2005, 12:30 PM

VCJ
01-25-2005, 04:24 PM
hey....i have been in St chris for my entire basic sciences and am now studying for the MLE....

if u want my opinion, st chris has gone from being what people here write about, to a far more professional school....we have better profs, more committed student body and a really stable environment (unlike what people here say)...

I would recommend that if u want to go to a med school go to the one u wanna stick with as switching schools does not look good...

And I have talked to several of my friends in the supposed big 2(ROSS and SGU)...they have got average scores on their MLEs like most of their class (80s) but they hated the island life and their financial situation...
(the big 2 are 3 to 4 times more expensive than here)... :D just calculate the cost before u make a decision :D

and in the end.....it does NOT MATTER where u go if u are an IMG... we already are 3rd on the preference list after US Grads and DOs... ALL u can do is get a good score on ur boards.... :(
If u cant do that even the big 2 cant do anything for u.....and if u can do that even a school in somewhere like Dominican Rep. can't stop u from achieving what u want to... :wink: (hold on a sec)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.