PDA

View Full Version : More M.D/DO contemplations

Hanson
02-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Untitled
by Anonymous (no login)

I am in a bind. I am a fairly competetive applicant for U.S. medical schools. I have a variety of interviews for both M.D. and D.O. shcools, but I am not hopeful. I am a typical applicant (i.e., 3.3 undergrad, 3.8 grad, and a MCAT 8,10,9). In all honesty, I would rather be an M.D. than a D.O., no offense to D.O.s. However, I am scheduled to start at a foreign medical school in Australia rather soon, which of course is M.D. bound. I haven't heard much from M.D. schools, but I should hear pretty soon from D.O. schools. My dilema is whether to pass up Aussie if I get into a D.O. school. This would buy me a lot of time so I can stay here in the U.S. and possibly ride out my M.D. interviews. But if I don't get into an M.D. school and I pass up Aussie, then I am stuck being a D.O. Which isn't a bad situation, it's just I have an interest of making a career abroad and D.O.s aren't recognized overseas. I know this because as I filled out my student visa for Australia, the health examination portion explicitly stated that it had to be complete by an M.D., NOT a D.O., as they aren't recognized as physicians in Australia. I disagree with this.

What to do???

Posted on Dec 24, 1999, 2:37 PM
from IP address 12.76.67.109

If you are going to Flinders, you should take the seat and go
by Anon (no login)

Posted on Dec 24, 1999, 5:02 PM
from IP address 152.163.201.52

D.O.s in International Settings
by Missionary Doc (no login)

In my knowledge, D.O.s may certainly practice abroad in developing countries.

I would wonder whether the prohibition on the Visa was a confusion in terms: a non-US D.O. graduate (U.K.) in Australia is essentially a Chiropractor and ARE NOT complete physicians as are US D.O. graduates. It may be that they had the former in mind. When you read it, you had the later in mind. Contact the AOA and the Australian Med council.

Posted on Dec 24, 1999, 8:04 PM
from IP address 128.11.103.12

Untitled
by DOMS4 (no login)

Absolutely right. I just came back from an international medicine elective in Africa and looked into the international recognition of the DO degree. The US DO degree is listed as an acceptable medical degree in the WHO classification system. However, I've heard that there is more paper work and confusion if one wishes to go to former British Commonwealth Colonies or down under compared to other western european countries, south america, or canada.

Posted on Dec 25, 1999, 7:06 PM
from IP address 129.120.98.126

Carribean MD vs DO
by Dominicanightmare (no login)

First of all, I applied to US med schools and DO schools, got wait listed at one US school, didn't even get an interview at any DO schools.

I got accepted into 3 foriegn schools, Ross, St Georges, and Sackler. I chose Ross for several reasons, first was financial (I have a wife and daughter who have accompanied me throughout my educational experience), second was I didn't want to have to learn Hebrew and didn't want to take my family to part of the world I viewed as a hot spot, and third was that I had friends at both Ross and St Georges and their experiences seemed similar, so I went where I could afford to go.

I was told by several people including former Ross Grads to wait a year and reapply in the US, but I had the urge to go then, and out of hindsight, I'm glad I did. One of my undergrad buddies has given up on medicine after applying for 3 years straight and not getting in, and he has high scores! So there are no garantees that waiting will pay off, so I would never advise that.

However, I would not have thought twice about the carribean if I had gotten into a DO school. I have less than a month of clinicals left, and I have had numerous attendings and residents that are DO's in just about every specialty. I cant tell the difference until they sign their name.

You have your reasons, and some people feel that the foriegn stigma fades the longer your out of school, while the DO sticks with you for ever.....I dont know, but I do know that when given consideration for residency the order of preferance is (1) US medical Grad, then (2) DO grad, then (lastly)Foriegn med grad.

I am applying for a less competitve field at the moment, Anesthesia. It is wide open and I have received interviews at places that I applied to just to see what would happen (like Harvard, Yale and Stanford). For the more competitive specialties my friends are still getting a decent amount of interviews at fairly good places.

Where ever you go, you will have to work hard, but in the end you'll get what you want (unless it is Neurosurg or Derm!)

Good luck.

Posted on Dec 29, 1999, 6:59 AM
from IP address 166.62.150.211
Respond to this message

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.