PDA

View Full Version : Light At The End Of Tunnel For An AUC Grad

Hanson
02-26-2003, 07:00 PM
LIGHT AT END OF TUNNEL
by Anonymous (no login)

My wife and I both graduated from AUC in '97. We both wondered about the stigmata of the US IMG. We were weary about entering the match and how we would get a residency position. And once in residency, how our US counterparts would treat us.
First, Let me tell all of the US IMG out there. The majority of the physicians you will meet in residency are IMG's-- and you don't even know it. My wife and I proceeded to enter the match, and before I continue let me give you a brief word about our academics. We are both purely average students. We did not pass step I the first try.
We each applied to 14 hospitals in the Northeast all respectable institutions. In return we each got 10 interviews, as a matter of fact we had to cancel some of them. The day before the rank order was due, the both of us were approached by various program directors asking us to rank them high. As it turned out we both matched at our first choice. The reason I am writing this is that I have been reading this bulliten board for a couple of weeks and I have gotten two impressions. First, from the IMG, whose school does not know how to direct the student and Second, from the US medical graduate. To all the IMG's, BE PERSISTENT, It is a longer and harder road to get what you want. It is worth it, I enjoy what I do everyday and it is because I had to work extra hard to get there. AUC and the majority of off-shore schools are there to make a profit, no secrets there, however, with hard work you can use them as a stepping stone. I would say I spent roughly $100,000 on my medical education, sure I paid it to a profit making organization but it has now given me my livelyhood and trade so I live and prosper as a productive citizen. As for the US grads/students that I have seen here-- the majority of the health care delivered in the US is by the IMG. Further, I have passed all the same exams and tests as you have. So think twice before you make such a derogatory comment toward a collegue it is not good professional conduct.

Posted on Aug 30, 1999, 6:16 PM
from IP address 4.16.194.248

Agree
by Anonymous (no login)

I also am AUC grad (l983) and did well in residency(actually better than us med. trained residents). You dont need to be all that bright to practice medicine. What you need is the committment and drive that medicine requires. I have no real complaints with my education. Of course there were some techers/rotations thant were better than others. I think by going to caribb. school and doing rotations at different
hospitals I got a well rounded education. Dont give up if its what you want. True it wont be easy. But once you are out of residncy you should be ok. There are some schools.however, that graduates cant practice in certain states. I have not seen this prob. with AUC,St. Georges or Ross graduates. Good luck

Posted on Aug 31, 1999, 8:28 AM
from IP address 132.177.161.235
Respond to this message

Finally someone else with sense.
by Tito (no login)

As I've told all the doubters and all the whinning fools who speak badly about this or that school, read for yourselves the living proof that hard work and perseverance pay off IF this is really what you want. You study with exactly the same books as they do in Harvard(guyton, robbins,schwartz etc etc) so your education should be academically the same. Now if you don't want to do this, if you spend all your time goofing off and trying to pass exams by cheating, then of course you will never get into a program and if by some miracle you do, your colleges will ridicule you. So, keep your chins up and don't take any crap from a US grad, don't complain, SHOW them that you are as good or better than them, besides, ultimately it's our patients that need you not them. Take care and good luck.

Posted on Aug 31, 1999, 10:44 AM
from IP address 152.202.41.110

thanks
by gringo (no login)

i am a student at an off-shore medical school...from time to time i get frustrated and discouraged, so i really appreciate hearing about your experience and how well things are working out for you...thanks again for your encouraging post...gringo

Posted on Aug 31, 1999, 2:14 PM
from IP address 207.248.251.252

Something to consider
by Derek Sampson (no login)

Hey people,
Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 as usual :)
While these individuals may have had USMLE scores in the mid 80's that doesn't tell us the whole picture of their situation. I tend to take these stories with a grain of salt because there is usually more than what we are being told. Here are some other factors to consider:

1) How many programs did they apply to? Restricting yourself to only certain types of progtams as well as certain locations only can be the KISS OF DEATH for the applicant.

2) Did they properly screen which programs are foreign friendly vs. foreign-unfriendly? (let me tell you that I have thoroughly screened the programs I was interested in and it is VERY TIME COMSUMING AND A LOT OF WORK, but it must be done). Did these guys do their homework??

3) Are these the type of people who get along with others?? (let me tell you that seems to be a common theme that runs throughout many interviews)
For all I know, while they may have the scores, they may not have the social skills to get along with people and the program directors can sense that in the interview, REGARDLESS IF COUSIN HABIB GOT HIM THE INTERVIEW).

4) As to the questions that were asked to him that he didn't know, the lion's share of the blame rests with the student because studying for the boards is one thing, studying to really KNOW YOUR STUFF is something else. Also the one whose brother got him the interview may have thought he was gonna skate thru because his brother got him the interview, and as a result didn't prepare properly. Something to consider.

As to my personal experiences, I have been on one interview so far (I'm not gonna say where or which specialty, but it was somewhere in the US, and by the way I DIDN'T HAVE A CONNECTION), and I wasn't asked any medical questions. It seemed more of a type of interview where they wanted to see if I am them type of person who gets along with people. I was asked about my hobbies, what I was doing before I went to UNIBE, my family, etc.

Now, there are programs, especially the more competitive programs, who will ask you medical questions. But there is really no way to 100% prepare for this. Just study your stuff the best you can in med school and answer the best you can in the interview. Half the battle is showing that you can process the information in the question and show your thinking process. Even if you don't answer the question perfectly, the fact that you displayed a solid thinking process and a logical follow-thru will win you points. These individuals may do well on a standardized test but may not do so well if asked spur-of-the-moment questions on the spot.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT :)

PEACE

-Derek

Posted on Sep 2, 1999, 1:12 PM
from IP address 131.94.242.62

To Derek
by Effi (no login)

Hi, I'm considering applying to some of the offshore schools...I know it's kinda early to start thinking residency (since I haven't applied to med school yet) but nonetheless I'm interested how you (or anyone) goes about screening the different residency programs re IMG friendly or not...also did the school itself help?

Posted on Sep 2, 1999, 3:14 PM
from IP address 209.90.133.32

THE REAL SCOOP ON RESIDENCY
by fmlydoc (no login)

It really does not matter if a program is IMG friendly or not. I feel that this is a common trap many IMG's fall into. The reason being that we are used to doing things through the back door. If you work hard and demonstrate good work ethic and know your stuff yu will have no trouble obtaining a residency of your choice. Nor am I saying don't do your research, a program who is familar with IMG (favorably or not favorably) can affect the direction of possible matched applicants. You would be surprised how many programs will sign under the table, all you have to do is ask. You see each residency program in the US recieves $150,000 subsity per resident in their program, regardless of speciality. They subsequently pay an intern/resident between $25,000 and $40,000 depending on geographic area and standard of living. The average resident regardless of speciality brings in (revenue) of approximately $170,000 per year. So the net yearly income of having a resident is approximately $280,000 per year. If they don't match or fill their program in which there are MANY they are loosing ALOT of MONEY. So back to my point--- There are many residencies that are secretly looking to fill all their spots and will take whomever US grad or IMG it just does not appear that way on the surface. I frequently hear all this gibbrish about the 40% residency cut. If that is happening how come FP only fills 80% on match day?? That also goes for IM. I am now in my second year of residency in a university program and actively involved in new resident recruiting. My advice to my fellow IMG's is apply to programs that you know are IMG friendly and to some that don't appear to be. YOU MAY BE SUPRISED.

Posted on Sep 2, 1999, 4:58 PM
from IP address 4.16.124.178

Do you know anything about UNIBE status
by Tim (no login)

Were you from UNIBE? Do you know if residence directors look at Dominican Republic, especially UNIBE, grads unfavorably? Do you know what is the process for transferring out of UNIBE?

Buenas Dias

Posted on Sep 2, 1999, 8:16 PM
from IP address 205.160.165.66

Here is the real deal

Hey People,
Here we go again with another round of UNIBE bashing from the usual disgruntled ex-students. In terms of how UNIBE is viewed back home in the good ol' US of A, while many people are speaking on only theoretical terms and rumors, I can come at you from my true life experiences. I can tell you that I have NEVER personally been on the receiving end of a negative attitude. I guarantee, most of these program directors in the US never even heard of UNIBE (except the ones with UNIBE ppl in their residencies). With HUNDREDS of medical schools in the world, it is impossible for people to know something about everyone out there. Keep in mind, the almost 50% of the FMG's are from India and Pakistan, whereas only 2.5% come from the DR, so the pool of DR grads is small. Maybe the reason I don't get attitudes is that I don't walk around feeling sorry for myself because I didn't get into a US school. I hold my head up high, I STUDY HARD, get along with others, and do the best I can. It never ceases to amaze me how many of y'all STILL haven't gotten over the rejection from US schools.

As I have said TIME AND TIME AGAIN:
A SCHOOL WITHOUT ANY FILTER WILL NOT CRANK OUT A UNIFORM PRODUCT. ALL the US schools, St. G, Ross, AUC, and SABA have these filters in place, filters at the admission level, at the basic science level, and at the USMLE level.
HOW MANY OF YOU BASHERS OUT THERE (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) THINK YOU COULD HAVE MADE IT THROUGH ANY OF THESE FILTERS IF THEY WERE IN PLACE???

Since schools like UNIBE and UTESA don't have these filters, you get the good with the bad. Fortunately, the bad won't pass the boards and thus you won't have to worry about bad people making the school look bad in the US medical system. The only difference is that a bad student who is unfit for medicine would have most likely never gotten past the admissions process at a US med school.

And as I also have said TIME AND TIME AGAIN, by the very FACT that there are UNIBE and UTESA people in resicency as well as practicing medicine PROVES that it can be done. And while there may be other students engaging in shady business (cheating, etc.) you have to be a mature adult to resist the temptation and study. THAT IS WHAT BEING A MATURE ADULT IS ALL ABOUT. If you don't have the capacity to make a mature adult decision and not engege in shady business, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MEDICAL SCHOOL?????
Back home in the good ol US of A, you will see MD's engaging in shady business, that doesn't mean you have to do it too, just don't do it. Those that choose to do it are now in federal prison with their medical license stripped and are now receiving free rectal exams from
Bubba :-0

Don't get me wrong, your happiness if VERY IMPORTANT. If you are not happy in the DR, by all means, go elsewhere. But don't think that switching schools will eradicate the unconquered demons that many students bring with them to the DR. When I speak of unconquered demons, I am referring to poor academic skills, lack of discipline, emotional/mental/social problems, etc. You will STILL have the same problems at the other schools.

I close with a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet:
"To thine own self be true"

PEACE.

-Derek

Posted on Sep 3, 1999, 1:24 PM

This is what I meant about "filtering"

What I meant about filtering is the following:

At US schools, Ross, AUC, Saba,and St. G, you CANNOT fail 2 classes during the basic sciences. If you fail 1 class, you are made to repeat the year. If you fail 2 classes, you win a date with the promotions committee which will ask for your DISMISSAL.

At schools like UNIBE and UTESA, if you fail a class, you can just repeat it the following semester with your other classes unless you are in the semester between premed and med or the semester between basic sciences and clinicals in which case, you just have to repeat and pass that class before you can go on to the next level.

THAT IS WHAT I MEANT BY FILTERING AT THE BASIC SCIENCES LEVEL.

At US schools, Ross, AUC, Saba, and St. G, you CANNOT fail the boards more than TWICE. If you fail the USMLE step 1 a third time, you are AUTOMATICALLY DISMISSED FROM THE SCHOOL. At UNIBE and UTESA as well as most other foreign schools, you are NOT required to take the USMLE and your retention does NOT depend on how many times you take it. Nevertheless, you may face problems with certain state medical boards who DO place limits on how many times you can sit for the USMLE.

THAT IS WHAT I MEANT BY FILTERING AT THE USMLE LEVEL.

In terms of filtering at the admission level, this primarily applies to US schools and St. Georges. YOU MUST HAVE VERY GOOD MCAT SCORES TO BE CONSIDERED, WITHOUT DOUBLE DIGITS ACROSS THE BOARD, YOU MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AS A STRONG CANDIDATE, AND THUS NOT INTERVIEWED/ACCEPTED. Of course there may be exceptions.

I hope this clarifies my previous post. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I have been feeling sick lately. PEACE.

-Derek

Posted on Sep 12, 1999, 12:54 PM
from IP address 199.78.247.48

DEREK IS EXACTLY RIGHT !
by Tito (no login)

Read his post and LEARN something.

Posted on Sep 9, 1999, 6:09 PM
from IP address 152.171.35.242

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.