PDA

View Full Version : Ross University to Expand School of Veterinary Medicine; Gro

azskeptic
11-01-2004, 03:05 PM
November 01, 2004 02:20 PM US Eastern Timezone

Ross University to Expand School of Veterinary Medicine; Groundbreaking on New Student Residence Buildings Part of Long-term Expansion Plan

NEW JERSEY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 1, 2004--Ross University, one of the world's largest providers of veterinary and medical education, broke ground on June 30, 2004 on five new student housing buildings - the first student housing facilities to be built on Ross University's School of Veterinary Medicine campus on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts.

The five buildings will encompass approximately 65,000 square feet over 3.5 acres of land and will accommodate roughly 150 students and resident assistants, leaving ample space for growth.

The five new student housing facilities are part of the University's master plan for expansion that, over the next five to 10 years, will include new classroom facilities and labs, technology and infrastructure improvements, and student services and security improvements. Among the planned additions to the campus are:

-- A Clinical Sciences Center with facilities for small and large animal surgery, diagnostics, radiology, a research lab, offices, conference rooms and a veterinary clinic

-- An electrical power generation facility to supplement public utilities

-- Wireless network and Internet access for students, faculty and administrators

-- Central receiving and supply building with service/maintenance center

-- Water management and conservation facilities

-- Major landscaping renovations designed to highlight the natural beauty of St. Kitts

-- New barns, stabling and pasture

-- A new cafeteria

Ross University Chairman, Dennis J. Keller, used the groundbreaking to stress that the new housing is intended to help first semester students become accustomed to their new surroundings. He also commented that this living/learning community will help students form bonds and enhance their study habits.

"The transition can be a challenge for students coming from the United States as they must learn a new culture as well as get themselves acclimated to a new and rigorous program of study," said Keller, who added that after the first semester, students will utilize the private housing market on the island.

Each apartment will have its own kitchenette, private bath and study area. The complex will have a dedicated academic center, meeting spaces, a library, a cafe, study lounges, and a convenience store. Other features include wireless campus network, Internet access and space for kennels in some units for the pets of the veterinary students.

"The construction of student housing facilities is part of an overall strategic growth plan and reflects the success we've achieved in creating a campus that meets the evolving needs of our students," said Keller. "We will continue to work to better serve our students and provide training designed to challenge and empower students to achieve their full professional and personal potential as veterinarians."

Ross University is working with architect Robert Smith of Studio One Architects, Kensington, Md. Construction of the new housing facilities is expected to be completed by the spring 2006.

About Ross University

Ross University is one of the world's largest providers of veterinary and medical education offering doctor of veterinary medicine and doctor of medicine degree programs. Established in 1982, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is located on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts/Nevis. The school has promoted more students into clinical rotations at affiliated U.S. Colleges of Veterinary Medicine than any other school in the world.

While Ross is considered a foreign school, veterinary students spend the final three semesters at one of 21 AVMA-affiliated U.S. institutions. Ross students are held to the same high standards and must pass the same licensing exams as graduates of U.S. schools.

A division of DeVry Inc. (NYSE:DV), an international higher education company, Ross University enrollment, registrar and financial aid services are located in Edison, N.J. For more information about Ross University, visit www.rossvet.edu or www.rossmed.edu.

Contacts

Linden Alschuler & Kaplan, Inc. Public Relations
***** Miner / Ari Fuld, 212-575-4545

Cassiboo
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
WARNING to pre-vet students: I was seriously considering going to the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. I got accepted and everything. Then I found out that students are forced to perform procedures on healthy animals during their training. I want to be a veterinarian because I love animals and I don't want to hurt them. With so many alternatives out there, I decided to chose another option for my schooling. If you love animals, I advise that you do the same.

cavalletti
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
WARNING to pre-vet students: I was seriously considering going to the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. I got accepted and everything. Then I found out that students are forced to perform procedures on healthy animals during their training. I want to be a veterinarian because I love animals and I don't want to hurt them. With so many alternatives out there, I decided to chose another option for my schooling. If you love animals, I advise that you do the same.

This is a very old thread that you've brought back.

Is it you that is involved with the law suit?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.