PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on SGU as it exists today? Worth it or skip?

hopefulmed95
12-20-2019, 08:26 AM
I know some people who graduated from SGU and the consensus is that SGU is the best of the Caribbean medical schools. I don't know anybody at SGU right now so I want to know if you think SGU is till as good of a school as it was or if things have changed. I have a friend who matched several years ago into a somewhat competitive specialty but he says it's just a giant risk and he wouldn't do it again if he had the chance. I also know a few SGU students who matched into surgical prelim positions and I don't know what became of them after.

I looked at another school called Medical University of the Americas which is in St. Kitts & Nevis because it is the least expensive but I haven't heard good things about that school either.

My understanding has always been that it is getting harder to match from a Caribbean school but I wanted to know if there was any truth to it.

Thanks

fujiwara
12-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Current SGU student here. Every alum that we've had return and talk to us have said that its harder for us to match for the same spot the US applicants will aim for. The general consensus seem to be getting 10scores higher on STEP1 than average (i.e 250 for gen surgery if avg is 240 etc). Now, if my understandings are correct, the goods news as of late is that before the residency spots used to be divided into 3 categories USMD, USDO and IMG/FMG but now they'll be eliminating the USDO reserved spot and will be merged with IMG/FMG spots. I dont know when/if this will actually happen but if it does, it may help our chances just a little bit.

scolari66
12-25-2019, 04:42 PM
I went through SGU Basic Sciences. It seems to be getting more and more like a big assembly line.
800 people in some of my classes ...and expected to grow. (on the bright side the attrition rate is only around 8 %)
You can check out MUA on St. Kitts (actually Nevis) but they have a creepster Dean who just wants to crack the whip.
Trinity Med in St. Vincent broke away from SGU years ago after they saw it getting too big; not a great school but they
seem to care about the students. AUC on St. Maarten was bought by DeVry and run a class act, low attrition. Saba gets mixed reviews and not
everyone can take the tiny island, more of a rock. And then there's Ross, a lot like SGU (big and expensive) but higher attrition rate.

hopefulmed95
12-29-2019, 09:50 PM
I went through SGU Basic Sciences. It seems to be getting more and more like a big assembly line.
800 people in some of my classes ...and expected to grow. (on the bright side the attrition rate is only around 8 %)
You can check out MUA on St. Kitts (actually Nevis) but they have a creepster Dean who just wants to crack the whip.
Trinity Med in St. Vincent broke away from SGU years ago after they saw it getting too big; not a great school but they
seem to care about the students. AUC on St. Maarten was bought by DeVry and run a class act, low attrition. Saba gets mixed reviews and not
everyone can take the tiny island, more of a rock. And then there's Ross, a lot like SGU (big and expensive) but higher attrition rate.

Did you like SGU?

scolari66
12-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Did you like SGU?

Geez, hard to give a simple yes or no. I think I would rate it 7 for terms 1-3, maybe the same for Term 4,
Term 5 which I would rate a 4 or 5 seemed like a big grind. A critical class for Step 1 prep (Pathophysiology) was run mostly by one guy whose accent was so thick nobody had any idea what he was saying. Also, SAKAI (the monolithic SGU website) kept getting bigger and bigger and human interaction with students seemed to get less and less robust so by the end I just felt like a number. (I raised the idea that Pathophys should be an all-star panel for hot-shot teachers for a given subject eg Dr. S for
pedigrees or the female Dr. U for jaundice/glycolysis but no one seemed to know how to introduce changes)...
Many of my colleagues felt the same way but knew what was coming so seemed less disappointed by the whole process
and just wanted off the island by that point.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.