PDA

View Full Version : Osteopathic to MD

ashok1
10-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Hello!

Are there any international schools which exist that would be able to grant an MD degree to someone who has already graduated from a US DO school?

rastamd
10-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Hello!

Are there any international schools which exist that would be able to grant an MD degree to someone who has already graduated from a US DO school?
Probably not from one of the reputable ones as almost all (I'm talking about the Caribbean med schools specifically) do not grant credits for work completed at a non-allopathic school (i.e. osteopathic). May be others can chime in.

leadsled
10-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Transfer Students – USAT (http://usat.edu/new-students/transfer-students/)

K35
10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
USAT is about to be closed down. They've lost ECFMG recognition and their accreditation is sketchy. Don't go near them.

leadsled
10-14-2018, 05:53 PM
USAT is about to be closed down. They've lost ECFMG recognition and their accreditation is sketchy. Don't go near them.

Not that I doubt you but do you have a source?

K35
10-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Not that I doubt you but do you have a source?

You want a source? Look at the world directory under sponsor notes...it literally states that.

leadsled
10-15-2018, 03:24 PM
You want a source? Look at the world directory under sponsor notes...it literally states that.

These are the statements you made:
1. "USAT is about to be closed down."
2." They've lost ECFMG recognition"
3. " and their accreditation is sketchy."
4. " Don't go near them."

Okay, so I am looking at: https://www.wdoms.org/sponsors/

I can't find USAT being mentioned in the notes. You stated, "it is about to be closed down". Please provide the link to your source so we can read it! You are making statements that really need to be cited. Otherwise if it is your opinion, then simply say the school sucks which is a very common opinion in the Caribbean! Thank you for your input!

One of the notes states, "The criteria for inclusion of medical schools in the directory
The World Directory defines “medical school” as an educational institution that provides a complete or full program of instruction leading to a basic medical qualification; that is, a qualification that permits the holder to obtain a license to practice as a medical doctor or physician."

...and the link to show it is listed as a medical school in the country of Montserrat is found: https://search.wdoms.org/home/SchoolDetail/F0000836

Tino
10-15-2018, 05:53 PM
I do not know but I can help you ask

leadsled
10-15-2018, 06:06 PM
I do not know but I can help me you ask in my school that is if you want me to. Let me know if you want me to go ahead.

Hi Tino,

Am I to understand you are a current student at USAT? K35 states, "the school is about to be closed"... which is a common occurrence in the Caribbean. The OP is looking for a school that gives credit for DO school. Not many medical schools do that but that is what USAT's website says. All of which, is a moot point if the school is shutting down???? http://usat.edu/new-students/transfer-students/

K35
10-15-2018, 06:39 PM
These are the statements you made:
1. "USAT is about to be closed down."
2." They've lost ECFMG recognition"
3. " and their accreditation is sketchy."
4. " Don't go near them."

search.wdoms. org/home/SchoolDetail/F0000836

Click sponsor notes and scroll down.

There is a RED FLAG there stating

Currently, students and graduates of USAT are subject to enhanced procedures that must be met in order to be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification related services, including but not limited to: ECFMG Certification, USMLE examinations that lead to ECFMG Certification, and Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®) Support Services. ECFMG will provide information and instructions to applicants upon receipt of application.

1. That was the same exact thing word for word that was put up on AUSOM's sponsor notes a couple months before they lost ecfmg recognition and subsequently closed down. They are being sent legal documents ascertaining whether they are having their classes on the island or in the US. If you actually know this school, they are not having the classes on the island. It's looking really bad for the school right now.

2. If a CARIBBEAN OFFSHORE school loses ecfmg recognition, then how in the world would they still exist? Who in their right mind would go there without being able to write the steps or get certification? Without students, no money and without money, they CLOSE DOWN.

3. They do not have CAAM-HP accreditation. They were rejected multiple times....but they're in the Caribbean. What does that say?

leadsled
10-15-2018, 07:22 PM
US trained DO's are already licensed to practice in the USA. Some seek the MD diploma from a foreign medical school so they can in turn practice overseas ie: volunteer work, medical sales, etc. The DO has limited utility outside the USA. Unlike in the States, foreign DO schools are equivalent to US Chiropractic schools. However, the US licensed DO is certainly a "Physician and Surgeon"!

Tino
10-15-2018, 10:57 PM
No I'm not a student of USAT

ashok1
10-25-2018, 05:34 PM
So with UST being an iffy choice are there any other schools that can grant an MD degree to a US D.O.? I was interested in practicing medicine outside the united states (not sure which country yet) so having an MD will be much more beneficial.

Doc Mobile
10-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Why would anyone not already a medical educator be “writing” the steps? I know that US Med school
Professors submit questions for the exam, but other than them, who else would be concerned about “writing”an exam? Certainly not students, they are the ones answering the questions, not submitting them. Am I writing my? (Are you Canadian?) 😜

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.