PDA

View Full Version : Complaints and Horror stories

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:20 AM
I wanted to start this thread here to make public many of the problems at the university students are currently or have faced in the past several years. There isn't really a way to find out about these stories without already being at the University and hearing the rumors and hardships from your fellow colleagues, or unfortunately having these hardships themselves. I'm hoping by making these stories public, I might be able to persuade students to find a better place of study, or at the very least inform students about possible problems they may face. I'm hoping things will change in the next few years, but I am not hopeful. Other students who have rumors or have personal experience please post here as well so we can share our story

Edit

Personal experience: i spoke with a student struggling directly. Story is true
Rumor: heard from other students, may or may not be true

#wum #warsawuniversityofmedicine #warszawskiuniwersytetmedyczny

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Personal experience:

A student had to repeat one full year because of having obligatory absence for two weeks (family emergency). He had to repeat a two week course. Instead of being able to repeat this two week course at another university/another way, he had to stay an extra year, greatly delaying the time he could begin working, arguably losing one year of doctor's salary

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Rumor: student had to stay an entire year to fill out his Indeks

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Personal experience: student who had to repeat anatomy course was unable to complete any other courses during her year. She was only able to attend anatomy three times a week, but was unable to fulfill any other pass/fail courses that could fit into her schedule during this time.

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Personal experience: Had to make a class schedule switch because of health problems resulting in doctor's visits. Dean approved of this absence of two weeks. Student then had to remake their courses in a different department of cardiology (cardiology course can be taken in two hospitals, lindleya or banacha). Student spoke to the head of the department during the first week of cardiology (of two week course) and the professor okay'd her to stay during this two week course, saying it wouldn't be a problem to do the department change. After completion of the course professor said the student would be unable to make the change of department without a letter from the dean. Student writes a letter to the dean, which then the dean denied allowing the student to change department. Student must pay additionally 1500 euros to her tuition to repeat the course

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Personal experience: student didn't need to take a Polish course so she wrote to the dean asking for a refund for her course. The dean denied her request. She doesn't, however, have any problem charging students extra if they must take more courses

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Complaint about indeks.

An indeks is a curse given to the students their first day. It is a notebook in which students must receive signatures in, along with protocol and a clinical training book. All these must be signed by each course professor after completion of the course. Which is absolutely ludicrous and outdated considering all of our grades ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE.

there are many complaints from students about these indeks books, as it usually takes professors several days to weeks to give signatures in a book (remember some courses are only one week long) and some students have even had to stay in Poland over the summer to complete the indeks books, or to stay an extra year to complete them, delaying their graduation.

Other universities e.g. Jagellonian do not have this indeks books. I definitely urge many would be applicants of this University to apply elsewhere, as I genuinely regret ever having attended this University

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Personal experience: student is unable to attend courses because of court litigations. Dean doesn't allow a change of groups in order to complete the courses, instead the dean expects this student should stay an extra year to make up the two weeks of classes she must miss. Student is a witness in a court case and must give her testimony. She herself has not committed any crimes, and this event is completely out of her control. Absolutely unreasonable.

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Personal experience: the students of the English division, comprising a total of approximately 800 students, now has 1 advisor. There used to be 4 but 3 of them have quit for unknown reasons. It may have something to do with the dean. The dean was supposed to be changed last year (voted out). She is currently in office. Many students suspect that she may be have this job of connections

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Personal experience: Residents often complain about low pay and poor resources available for both students and resident doctors. One resident in particular complained about the poor facilities and that she herself knew that with the amount of patients in and out of this particular hospital that this hospital had to bringing in "millions of Zloty" everyday. She says she doesn't know where the money goes, but expects someone higher up has been dipping their hands into the hospital funds

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:39 AM
personal experience: a group of 24 students were notified of having an oral exam in surgery, 3 days before their exam date.

There seems to be a pattern with bad organization at this University. Exam date times seem to be a big complaint

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:40 AM
personal experience: Students have exam on the same day. Students ask to switch exam days. Dean of English department said no. However, forwarding this to the head dean resulted in a yes.

We have a lot of problems here with the dean of the English division program. Unless you never expect to have any family emergencies or to fall ill in 6 years, I would plan on going somewhere a bit more reasonable.

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:42 AM
personal experience: A student in my class had broken his leg in an accident and was unable to attend his classes because many of the buildings do not have elevators (at least, for student access). Because he couldn't attend his classes he had to repeat his first year at the University

Poor guy

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Personal experience: Student has pneumothorax for two weeks refuses to go to the hospital until after examinations, because Dean wouldn't give medical leave even in situations of medical emergencies

A lot of students are left behind. Don't get left behind. Go to another medical school

wumexposed
09-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Personal experience: because the rate of passing the USMLE is low at this university, the medical school is not eligible for any loans from the United States. This is something important that you will have to think about when you come here. Will you be able to succeed when most of your colleagues will not? You will definitely have to work a lot harder and your professors will not help you (obviously the teaching here is horrid)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.