PDA

View Full Version : Is IUHS internet based program accredited in the US?

rntomd2
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi everybody.first of all im an RN with BSN degree and my specialty is Critical Care.I want to become an MD but have some constraints as im married,so i discovered a distance learning program at a school in St.Kitts
called International University of Health Scienced(i.e IUHS).It is listed in the
IMED too ,which makes it accredited.Could you give me some advice as to
1. whether its accredited in USA
2. i can do my clinicals California where i live?

3. Does anyone know of any graduates of such distance learning programs
who got to do there clinicals in USA and later got a residency there?
3. Whether the whole thing is feasible?
coz the main reason that it attracted me was that i wudnt have to leave home i.e my husband n family.

Thanks hope to see a reply soon

teratos
10-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Read state laws. Almost all will not allow distance learning. I have yet to see any licensed grad from the distance learning program. Don't do it.

You cannot do anything in CA.

If something sounds too good to be true, it is. G

showbiz
01-29-2005, 09:57 PM
please let me know what you have on IUHS I was thinfing of taking their online MD course.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Is there anyother online school I can go to?

Thank you,

michael
[email protected]

AUCMD2006
01-29-2005, 10:26 PM
online programs prey on RN's chiros etc because they know a lot of you guys know you can do what an MD does, want to get there, but are stuck with mortgage/kids, etc so please watch out for these shady operations as they will not get you an ability to work as a licensed doc.

the majority of people that attend these schools are chiros, dentists, nutritionists who just want to add "MD" at the end of their name to bring in more patients but many states don't even allow you to add MD to your business unless you are licensed so even that is bogus.

check with state medical boards...most require 2 years of continuous physical attendnace on a campus, most require 60-90 credit hours of pre-med courses, and a few even require a bachelors degree....there are no shortcuts to becoming a real MD trust me i looked...hehe

leadsled
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
There are dozens of U.S. Online Nurse Practitioner programs that should have no problem licensing in the U.S. I think going to a foreign medical school online will lead to a lot of potential licensing problems in the USA.

My question is: Is there anyone who graduated an online M.D. program and is currently licensed to practice in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Virigin Islands, Guam or American Samoa? just curious.

lswiltshire
02-03-2005, 06:07 PM
will the devil go to heaven?

stochastic
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
An Iowa (I'm thinkin Waterloo) newspaper article describes the education of a Dr. Gregory Neyman, MD who rec'd his MD via distance education from UHSA. He had to make a few trips back & forth over a 27 month time span, but apparently Iowa accepts this type of MD degree.

The article stated he was accepted into residency at Northeast Iowa Family Practice Residency Program. See www.familypracticeresidency.org
and his photo is there!

I'm not saying there's forgiveness for the devil, but the program director at Northeast Iowa seemed receptive to his MD, as quoted in the article.

Picard
02-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Problem is, residency is one thing. Residents are consider trainees. IN most states, residents have not gone through the licensure process scrutiny. Heck, in some states, the medical board doesn't even require residency programs to register their residents. Licensure is a whole other thing. There are plenty of IMG's who have gone through residency and only to find out they are not eligible for licensure... Remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when a bunch of old Russian and Mexican medical schools that sold MD degrees to chiropractors on an accelerated course? Many of them went onto residency, none of them are licensed today... a few are in jail today...

P

leadsled
02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Picard,
Thanks for clarifying residency and licensure. Also I might add that passing USMLE does not mean licensure as well!

I am still waiting to hear of any person who has been licensed in the USA or its territories, that has graduated from a distant learning medical school.

wolfvgang22
02-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Don't hold your breath. :-shut

azskeptic
02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't hold your breath. :-shut

Here is one online medical school that is telling it straight in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/news/stories/s1299477.htm

Of Course in the US they tell a different story

http://medintro.org/

Perhaps they have enrolled a bunch of Samoans and are telling them that they will have to go home to practice?......hmmmm confused

drpike69
02-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Dear rntomd2-
I just thought that I would finally respond to all of these individuals that are " knowledgeable" about how licensure works and also if you attend IUHS's online program, will you be able to get a licence? The answer, is maybe...depends on the state that you are going to attempt to practice in. I know that where I am there are no restrictions so long as I take the prescribed hours of lecture, then I take and pass USMLE steps I, II, II-CS and then apply for and hopefully match for a residency.
BTW-I did have a Bachelors degree, took the MCAT, even graduated with honors from a US state university and still did not get into a single U.S. med school, because I had a few small issues with my grades in the begining of my acedemic career.
However, I buckled down, studied real hard and hoped for the best; however, the best I got was 7 U.S. med school wait lists which never ended up leading to my M.D. So, I got married, went to surgical tech school, spent about 4 years working in hospitals and surgi-centers and tried again, only this time I only allpied to schools which offered alternative study methods, ie pbl, online, etc. Both schools that I applied to, I was accepted to, one being IUHS. Before I did anything, I contacted the state licensing board where I lived and was told that so long as I could provide them with an actual curriculum and also was able to take and pass both steps I, II and II-CS and also did all of my clinical rotations in greenbook hospitals, or at least, hospitals with medical school affiliations in the U.S., they said that I would be able to not only apply for the match, but that I would be allowed to enter my residency unencumbered!
I did my homework, I also know that there are in fact many states that will not even give IMG's a training license, ie:NY, CA, RI, and even NH, but I did learn that if I was granted a license from another state, say, Illinois, complete my residency in that state and pass step III, I would, of course, be granted a licence to practice in that state that I completed my residency in. Now, what good does this information do you? well, let's say that you live in one of those "tough" states that have very stringent guidlines as to how IMG's are treated with regard to licensure, what they do allow is reciprocity of your license! This means that if you complete your training in a state that does offer you a license, then you can take that to the state of your choice and they will give you a temporary license and check yur credentials. So long as you did have enough formal pre-med education taking in the U.S. and so long as your school is FRIEDA & FAIMER accredited, then your license will pass from temporary to full and the only thing that you need to do is continue to follow whatever instructions the state you would have changed over to asks of you, & you should have no problem.
I do want to caution you that there are now going to be many "experts" who will attempt to give you quotes from the state websites of whatever state that they live in, but remeber, all you have to ultimately do is follow the instructions of a real state board member and discover what they require. As I said, you may have to do your clinicals and your residency in a state other than the one that you currently reside in, but check it out because I was real surprised myself to see and hear what I heard.
Good luck to you, and make sure that you do not get scared away by some of these individuals on this site who enjoy nothing more than to rain on people's parades. If they sat on a particular state licensing board and they knew absolutely 100% for sure that you were never going to get a license to pratice, they would honestly probably not be on this message board. Think about all of your options and stay focused on what you ultimately want to do with your life; moreover, do not listen to people who enjoy causing trouble, becasue more than likely, you will discover through some investigation, that many of the people who post garbage and propaganda on this site are nothing more than people who never had the BA__S to go ahead and do what you are trying to do right now: become a doctor.
Sincerely,
Doc Pike :D :D

azskeptic
02-11-2005, 03:17 AM
the real test is to find a licensed grad of IUHS. Do a google or yahoo search and try and find one.

Lots of people who 'scientifically' have tried this...wouldn't you think that a school as old as IUHS should have reams of grads by now? Where are they?

Picard
02-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Ahh... another suppose IUHS on-line student trying to stir the pot... Umm, a "surgical tech" in this on-line "advanced standing" program claiming to konw all about licensure...

If they sat on a particular state licensing board and they knew absolutely 100% for sure that you were never going to get a license to pratice, they would honestly probably not be on this message board.

Umm, I guess this guy never read any posts from Pat Park from California medical board, with a e-mail address ending with .gov

No such thing as automatic reciprocity... If your med school curriculum is not approved by a state, it cannot be remedied by obtaining a license from another state.

Name ONE on-line IUHS grads that have obtained a real medical license. Name ONE state board that will license you. Illinois will NOT. And, if IUSH's transcript is indeed templated to fool US authorities (ie list class credits from "previous experiences" to look as if those classes were completed "in residence" at IUHS) -- well, I hope you like jail food.

The only one grad they constantly talked about who was a DC and got his MD from IUHS in 2 years and who is doing his residency in Iowa -- guess what, Iowa medical board has said that his medical school curriculum most like does NOT meet Iowa licensure guidelines and will most likely not be issued a license... he hasn't come under the scrutiny of the Iowa boards yet because residents in Iowa do not need a license yet.

And the other student shamelessly listed a DO who is teaching in a US DO school as a "licensed grad" from the IUHS on-line program. See the thread in the general forum to see what this DO really does.

Again, name ONE state that has licensed ANY IUHS on-line grads. After detail descriptions of what IUHS on-line program, every state boards we have talked to said NO...

Surgical tech on a fast track to MD...ummm, interesting.

P

wolfvgang22
02-11-2005, 01:37 PM
:roll: I like the part where he says to not pay attention to the licensure rules on state medical board websites. But, calling the state med board is a good idea.

Does this "drpike69" guy send ya'll hate mail PM's, too?
According to him, I'm also Picard and Azskeptic and wolfvgang22 simultaneously. :lol:

azskeptic
02-11-2005, 01:41 PM
:roll: I like the part where he says to not pay attention to the licensure rules on state medical board websites. But, calling the state med board is a good idea.

Does this "drpike69" guy send ya'll hate mail PM's, too?
According to him, I'm also Picard and Azskeptic and wolfvgang22 simultaneously. :lol:

Wow, I'm a young medical student now.....deja vu

Picard
02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
You mean, all these time, I've been selling eggs without even knowing it? Damn, you should have told me before I spent over 4 bucks this morning buying some fancy "free-roaming" eggs from the local market...

P

azskeptic
02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
You mean, all these time, I've been selling eggs without even knowing it? darn, you should have told me before I spent over 4 bucks this morning buying some fancy "free-roaming" eggs from the local market...

P

I thought it was a dream that I was drawing blood during the night...wow, I'm a doctor in my sleep.

drpike69
02-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Here are the names of three states, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. I know that you all think you have something to proove, and that is fine, but I will be the one working as a doctor, not wasting all of my time in my grannys basement writing posts because I have no future. Get lost, and hopefully, the moderators will start to do there jobs so that a>> h>>>S like all of you cannot ruin what other people are obviously working toward.
I am not any any fast tracks based on my surgical tech ed, I am on a normal 4-year track to become a physician. I paid my dues in the undergrad world first, then became a surgical tech to gain more clinical experience. Perhaps if you had any idea of what it takes to learn how to practice, the you would not waste time placing links to different web sites that are supposed to give everybody the idea that IUHS grads will not ever be able to practice medicine. Focus on your own medical license, not any of ours and stop trying to be the pope of misinformation based on what was going on with the school like 6 years ago. Much has changed at IUHS, but evidently in your world, things continue to stay the same.

DOC PIKE
P.S.- I also had already spent 2 + years in the caribbean working towrd the M.D., so I already know what it takes to study hard. I also have taken and passed USMLE step I, and received a score of 211, BTW what was your USMLE step I or II score? :oops: :roll:

azskeptic
02-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Here are the names of three states, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. I know that you all think you have something to proove, and that is fine, but I will be the one working as a doctor, not wasting all of my time in my grannys basement writing posts because I have no future. Get lost, and hopefully, the moderators will start to do there jobs so that a>> h>>>S like all of you cannot ruin what other people are obviously working toward.
I am not any any fast tracks based on my surgical tech ed, I am on a normal 4-year track to become a physician. I paid my dues in the undergrad world first, then became a surgical tech to gain more clinical experience. Perhaps if you had any idea of what it takes to learn how to practice, the you would not waste time placing links to different web sites that are supposed to give everybody the idea that IUHS grads will not ever be able to practice medicine. Focus on your own medical license, not any of ours and stop trying to be the pope of misinformation based on what was going on with the school like 6 years ago. Much has changed at IUHS, but evidently in your world, things continue to stay the same.

DOC PIKE
P.S.- I also had already spent 2 + years in the caribbean working towrd the M.D., so I already know what it takes to study hard. I also have taken and passed USMLE step I, and received a score of 211, BTW what was your USMLE step I or II score? :oops: :roll: good answer but lets get a bit more specific Licensed a graduate of UHSA or IUHS of 1995 or later........

teratos
02-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm board certified. I also have yet to see a licensed grad from the distance learning program. Please show me one. There should be no problem with people from the standard IUHS program. G

lwstokes
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
well since you continue to open your month.. I went to the AMA web site and found several graduates from UHSA the one listed below graduated in 2000 :Tim Paul Carlson MD
Physicians -- Update your data

Office Phone:
727-327-9667

Fax:
727-321-1655

Medical School:
UNIV OF HLTH SCI ANTIGUA, SCH OF MED, ST JOHNS, ANTIGUA

Residency Training:
BAYFRONT MED CTR, FAMILY MEDICINE

Primary Specialty (Self Designated)(note):
FAMILY MEDICINE

Major Professional Activity:
OFFICE BASED PRACTICE

American Board of Medical Specialties Certification:
Copyright 2004 American Board of Medical Specialties. All rights reserved.
Family Practice

it certainly looks like he is lic... do you need more???

lws

Picard,
Thanks for clarifying residency and licensure. Also I might add that passing USMLE does not mean licensure as well!

I am still waiting to hear of any person who has been licensed in the USA or its territories, that has graduated from a distant learning medical school.

lswiltshire
02-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Go to IUHS if you like

But you know what? My degree is from a Medical School approved in all 50 states.

Caveat Emptor

I have stopped warning folk who write me personally, about going to this place.

But I will continue telling the world about the evils there.

Check and see if the Tim is not licensed as a DO

lswiltshire
02-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Little silly boy DOC PIKE

Re I will be the one working as a doctor

A few of us have been working as doctors for years

Re writing posts because we have no future.

No one knows what the future will bring, however, if you donít go to a proper medical school your future will not be as a doctor.

Perhaps if you had any idea of what it takes to learn how to practice, then you would not waste time placing links to different web sites that are supposed to give everybody the idea that IUHS grads will not ever be able to practice medicine.

Done all that. Thatís why I know that IUHS is a scam school.

Much has changed at IUHS, but evidently in your world, things continue to stay the same.

Yes Farky resigned, Neame gone, Rawlins the best Anatomy teacher you could possibly have anywhere gone, many of your good administrators gone. Since Neame gone the online show is even poorer than it used to be. YES much has changed at IUHS for the worst!
And no things have not stayed the same in my world- they got better!

What kind of fool who passed USMLE step I, and received a score of 211 would transfer to a dump like IUHS. The smart IUHS students were all planning to transfer/ or have transferred from IUHS after Step 1.

No a>> h>>>S are ruining anything, jokers who give their money to bogus schools ruin things for themselves.

"An IUHS basher , & proud of it!"

azskeptic
02-13-2005, 09:36 AM
well since you continue to open your month.. I went to the AMA web site and found several graduates from UHSA the one listed below graduated in 2000 :Tim Paul Carlson MD
Physicians -- Update your data

Office Phone:
727-327-9667

Fax:
727-321-1655

Medical School:
UNIV OF HLTH SCI ANTIGUA, SCH OF MED, ST JOHNS, ANTIGUA

Residency Training:
BAYFRONT MED CTR, FAMILY MEDICINE

Primary Specialty (Self Designated)(note):
FAMILY MEDICINE

Major Professional Activity:
OFFICE BASED PRACTICE

American Board of Medical Specialties Certification:
Copyright 2004 American Board of Medical Specialties. All rights reserved.
Family Practice

it certainly looks like he is lic... do you need more???

lws

Picard,

a few may swim through but after 10 years you'd expect more than 1 or 2.

teratos
02-13-2005, 10:57 AM
did your licensed grad go through the distance learning program? G

wolfvgang22
02-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Hey, if people want to go to UHSA or IUHS, that's fine by me, it's your time, and your $100,000 plus.

The very fact that there is even so much discussion about whether attending these distance learning schools is a safe route makes it too much of a risk for me.
Particularly so when there are so many other options with lists of successful graduates as long as my arm. Like SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC, SMU, Irish schools, Australian schools, European schools, etc. Heck, even Spartan has more licensed grads.

This is just my opinion, but only a very brave person, a very rich person, or a very stupid person would go to schools that offer distance learning programs.

azskeptic
02-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey, if people want to go to UHSA or IUHS, that's fine by me, it's your time, and your $100,000 plus.

The very fact that there is even so much discussion about whether attending these distance learning schools is a safe route makes it too much of a risk for me.
Particularly so when there are so many other options with lists of successful graduates as long as my arm. Like SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC, SMU, Irish schools, Australian schools, European schools, etc. Heck, even Spartan has more licensed grads.

This is just my opinion, but only a very brave person, a very rich person, or a very stupid person would go to schools that offer distance learning programs.

usually these are people who can't get into regular medical schools anywhere....why? because they want to keep their day jobs and take short cuts by picking their own 'mentors'....good old cousin Bob, the FP......doctors who take shortcuts end up with problems. but if they should license they need to be looking over their shoulder because informed boards are studying it as we speak.

Picard
02-13-2005, 04:37 PM
but if they should license they need to be looking over their shoulder because informed boards are studying it as we speak.

Well, lets hope this doctor went through IUHS's traditional on-campus program and got his MD the traditional way. If he did... good for him. He should be OK. And it proves nothing about the licensibility of the on-line "distance learning" program.

Now, if he is one of those distance-learning grad that slipped through the crack for whatever reason (ie, wasn't there talks from a former instructor at IUHS about how they doctor their transcript template to make it look as if those "advanced standing credits" and "distance learning courses" were earned the old fashion way in-residence on campus in the Caribbean?) If that were the case, losing his license would probably be the last thing he should worry about.

P

lswiltshire
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
You are absolutely correct.

There is evidence of a transcript template in which efforts were made to equate the subject matter taken to credit hours, because at IUHS the program is done by blocks with cases rather than by subjects.

I have posted elsewhere in this IUHS forum on this matter, and I do have a file with that template which I recieved directly from the instructor you speak about who set it up.

lwstokes
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Nope Tim was as PA like myself prior to enrolling. It really should not matter were you go as long as you are eligible to take the boards.. In fact it is not the school that is going to determine what type of physician you become it will be the hard work and effort YOU put into your clinicals and and residency. Lastly it is not the school thats with you when you are setting for USMLE I don't believe you can tell by looking at board scores from which medical school they graduated from.

Go to IUHS if you like

But you know what? My degree is from a Medical School approved in all 50 states.

Caveat Emptor

I have stopped warning folk who write me personally, about going to this place.

But I will continue telling the world about the evils there.

Check and see if the Tim is not licensed as a DO

Picard
02-14-2005, 10:45 PM
It really should not matter were you go as long as you are eligible to take the boards..

This is one of the biggest myth in foreign medical education. This statement is simply NOT true. This is why -- ECFMG is NOT an accreditation body. It's merely a secretarial services that look up to see if a foreign school is IMED/WHO listed. And, IMED/WHO is also NOT an accreditation body... they are merely "phone books" that list medical schools reported by each country. And we all know that not all countries evaluate/accredit their medical schools properly. Therefore, your eligibility to take USMLE means that your med school was properly listed in a phone book... no accreditation/evaluation of your medical education has taken place yet. And passing USMLE does NOT mean that you have done proper medical schooling. I personally know several basic science Ph.D.'s in our local medical school here who have scored above 220's in both Step I and Step II mock exams and passed Step III mock exam. These are Ph.D.'s without proper clinical training. So, passing USMLE by itself does not mean you have proper medical education to become licensed physicians.

This is why NO STATE will issue ANYONE a license base solely on their USMLE passage. You cannot simply submit your USMLE scores to any state and ask for a license without providing other documentations of medical education for the boards to evaluate. There are plenty of IMG"s who have passed all 3 steps of USMLE, done residency trainings, and still not eligible for licensure in ANY state. Ask those DC's who bought degrees from the former Soviet and Mexican schools that were selling them on "accelerated" tracks... all of them passed the boards, heck, many went through residencies... none of them have a license today.

P

azskeptic
02-14-2005, 10:50 PM
It really should not matter were you go as long as you are eligible to take the boards..

This is one of the biggest myth in foreign medical education. This statement is simply NOT true. This is why -- ECFMG is NOT an accreditation body. It's merely a secretarial services that look up to see if a foreign school is IMED/WHO listed. And, IMED/WHO is also NOT an accreditation body... they are merely "phone books" that list medical schools reported by each country. And we all know that not all countries evaluate/accredit their medical schools properly. Therefore, your eligibility to take USMLE means that your med school was properly listed in a phone book... no accreditation/evaluation of your medical education has taken place yet. And passing USMLE does NOT mean that you have done proper medical schooling. I personally know several basic science Ph.D.'s in our local medical school here who have scored above 220's in both Step I and Step II mock exams and passed Step III mock exam. These are Ph.D.'s without proper clinical training. So, passing USMLE by itself does not mean you have proper medical education to become licensed physicians.

This is why NO STATE will issue ANYONE a license base solely on their USMLE passage. You cannot simply submit your USMLE scores to any state and ask for a license without providing other documentations of medical education for the boards to evaluate. There are plenty of IMG"s who have passed all 3 steps of USMLE, done residency trainings, and still not eligible for licensure in ANY state. Ask those DC's who bought degrees from the former Soviet and Mexican schools that were selling them on "accelerated" tracks... all of them passed the boards, heck, many went through residencies... none of them have a license today.

P

Well, as one state medical board director told me "We should call the people with IUHS or UHSA degrees MD Lite...a special designator to denote their lack of real training"......you think you are tired of handing out little brochures to patients explaining that you have the equivalent training as a chiropractor of an MD (those little sheets that they give you at DC offices)...wait until your local newspaper does a story about your internet training degree........and your insurance company sneers at you when you try to get insurance...

lwstokes
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Man that's is a bunch of bull malarki.......I guess clinical evaluations during your rotations and residency doesn't play a part into any of this huh...Again it is not the school it is how you apply yourself.... any by the way I don't remember any clinical rotations at either school done via the net nor was any of their evaluations achieved over the net, and again BTW...mcat , board scores, and gpa does not translate into what type of physician you will become.. and finally when you see any MD in a clinically setting can YOU determine where they went to school or if you look medical malpractice case can you equally determined where they graduated... just a few things to punder.....

P

Well, as one state medical board director told me "We should call the people with IUHS or UHSA degrees MD Lite...a special designator to denote their lack of real training"......you think you are tired of handing out little brochures to patients explaining that you have the equivalent training as a chiropractor of an MD (those little sheets that they give you at DC offices)...wait until your local newspaper does a story about your internet training degree........and your insurance company sneers at you when you try to get insurance...

wolfvgang22
02-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Man that's is a bunch of bull malarki.......I guess clinical evaluations during your rotations and residency doesn't play a part into any of this huh...Again it is not the school it is how you apply yourself.... any by the way I don't remember any clinical rotations at either school done via the net nor was any of their evaluations achieved over the net, and again BTW...mcat , board scores, and gpa does not translate into what type of physician you will become.. and finally when you see any MD in a clinically setting can YOU determine where they went to school or if you look medical malpractice case can you equally determined where they graduated... just a few things to punder.....

Students participating in on-line medical school courses should keep telling themselves this, as perhaps it will be some small comfort after licensure is denied by the state medical boards.

azskeptic
02-17-2005, 01:22 PM

Students participating in on-line medical school courses should keep telling themselves this, as perhaps it will be some small comfort after licensure is denied by the state medical boards.

Personally I prefer the St. james approach. You can always get a job in research.......i.e. driving a taxi in Toronto or Newark

drpike69
02-17-2005, 01:30 PM
:shock: To whom it may concern:
I never said that I was on the fast tract because I was a surgical tech, I am on the fast track because of prior medical school experience. Perhaps if you had read my other posts then you would have known that.
Oh, and BTW, any state medical licensig board that boldly attempts to state whether or not anyone will, or will not be granted a license without knowing the individuals credentials is certainly not giving, or been given all the info. So next time you open your stupid email, make sure that you knowd what the heck you are saying. Whenever you asume you make an a.. out of you, not me. Check your sources, there are plenty of gras already practicing tmedicine in the US. In fact, friend of mine from Indiana recenlty received a surgical residency at Induiana University hospitals, so do not keep wasting timr attempting to spread lieas when that is all that you are doing. :twisted: :oops: :cry:
Doc Pike

wolfvgang22
02-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Really? What's his name and address? Where does he work? How do we know you didn't make that up? What's his number so prospective students can call and verify? Oh, that's right... he's too busy to field questions about whether IUHS is legit or not. :roll: I guess that may be true if the other four licensed grads don't help out with the calls.

The burden on proof that the IUHS route works is on IUHS, no one else. Students have the right, nay, the duty to themselves and their families to be skeptical of off-shore schools until they prove their fitness as an investment of over $100K and 4 years.

The fact that there is no published list of grads, USMLE pass rates, or residency placements baffles me. Such information is the bare minimum that should be required before students invest their time and money.
What's wrong with that? How is that a lie?

Of course, if I was Doc Pike or a student at IUHS, I would do anything to make it look legit, otherwise I would have wasted my time and money if the school were to fold.

teratos
02-17-2005, 01:51 PM
residency does not equal licensure. Most states require physical attendance at the medical school. Some states may let you get a license, most won't. In many cases it is your own hard work that will make you a good physician. In the eyes of state licensing boards, that means little. THere is more to it than just passing the boards. There are a lot of ECFMG certified persons who are not able to be licensed. G

drpike69
02-17-2005, 01:56 PM
To whom it may concern:
You say that you are all practicing medicine already, then where is the proof? Why hide behind some surname and continue to proliforate lies that will only continue to waste your time. People should only do what is best for them, and for some the on line programs at IUHS and Antigua are their best options into the medical field; you waste way to much time on these boards to be a praticing physician. I am a fourth year and can barely find the time to thrwart all of your nonsense.
If you are indeed who you say that you are, a licensed doc, then give all of your credentials. I will be waiting.
And, for the record, those of us who actually have the intellect and faith in medicine know that there is almost no way that you would even be wasting yur time on these site had you already graduated, because you would be up to uyour eyeballs in patients, HICFA forms, medicare recipient reimbursments and daily office and hospital duties, so once again you have done it......
Doc Pike :roll: :oops: 8)
BTW- Just what was your undergrad GPA, because maybe you had no chouice as to where yoou were to go to med school, if indeed you did; mine, BTW was a 3.76 with a double major in Biology and Sport medicine from University of Chicago. I am also holding high homors in all of my rotations. But that still does not matter, becasue you continue to place all of these web sites that peolpe are supposed to care about, yet you always fail to give any of your information up. Why is that, perhaps it is because you were a lousy student and an even worse person. :twisted:

azskeptic
02-17-2005, 01:57 PM
residency does not equal licensure. Most states require physical attendance at the medical school. Some states may let you get a license, most won't. In many cases it is your own hard work that will make you a good physician. In the eyes of state licensing boards, that means little. THere is more to it than just passing the boards. There are a lot of ECFMG certified persons who are not able to be licensed. G

Skills that these 'lite' schools teach should include loading french fries into fryers and 'Do you want to supersize that order?"

Scott1981
02-17-2005, 03:10 PM
To whom it may concern:
You say that you are all practicing medicine already, then where is the proof? Why hide behind some surname and continue to proliforate lies that will only continue to waste your time. People should only do what is best for them, and for some the on line programs at IUHS and Antigua are their best options into the medical field; you waste way to much time on these boards to be a praticing physician. I am a fourth year and can barely find the time to thrwart all of your nonsense.
If you are indeed who you say that you are, a licensed doc, then give all of your credentials. I will be waiting.
And, for the record, those of us who actually have the intellect and faith in medicine know that there is almost no way that you would even be wasting yur time on these site had you already graduated, because you would be up to uyour eyeballs in patients, HICFA forms, medicare recipient reimbursments and daily office and hospital duties, so once again you have done it......
BTW- Just what was your undergrad GPA, because maybe you had no chouice as to where yoou were to go to med school, if indeed you did; mine, BTW was a 3.76 with a double major in Biology and Sport medicine from University of Chicago. I am also holding high homors in all of my rotations. But that still does not matter, becasue you continue to place all of these web sites that peolpe are supposed to care about, yet you always fail to give any of your information up. Why is that, perhaps it is because you were a lousy student and an even worse person. :twisted:

cry me a river

wolfvgang22
02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
To whom it may concern:
So who are you addressing when you say "to whom it may concern"?
If you are addressing teratos, it's easy to find out who/where/what he is, that's easy to find out. Just view his posts. Look him up. He's got credibility. If you mean azskeptic, well, he never claimed to be a med student or doctor.

Anyways, nobody asked for their information. How about IUHS show us their information, like how many licensed grads there are from IUHS?

As to why someone with a 3.76 with high homors in rotations (whatever high homors are...sorry, I haven't had pathology yet) would choose IUHS....I suppose it goes to show that people with high GPA's do indeed make poor choices sometimes. I'm glad it worked out for you anyway. 8)

lwstokes
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't understand all the negative post and what the problem with people making the best choices for themselfs for those of you still insist that it is the school that makes a good physician... you are probably the sameones that believes in the easter bunny and santa claus... I have read many posts inquiring about lic grads and the fact that no will ever be lic which is not shread of truth, because there are many, infact i listed one with address and phone number look him up and asks all the questions you need.. so stop wasting time deterring people from achieving their goals... Hell if my ancestors had listened to people like you we would still believe that slavery is a great ideal :!:

I

To whom it may concern:
So who are you addressing when you say "to whom it may concern"?
If you are addressing teratos, it's easy to find out who/where/what he is, that's easy to find out. Just view his posts. Look him up. He's got credibility. If you mean azskeptic, well, he never claimed to be a med student or doctor.

Anyways, nobody asked for their information. How about IUHS show us their information, like how many licensed grads there are from IUHS?

As to why someone with a 3.76 with high homors in rotations (whatever high homors are...sorry, I haven't had pathology yet) would choose IUHS....I suppose it goes to show that people with high GPA's do indeed make poor choices sometimes. I'm glad it worked out for you anyway. 8)

Picard
02-18-2005, 02:45 PM

Well, you claim to be an IUHS student... PROVE IT. IUHS has been known to have hire folks to come on here and pretend to be students. So, why don't you post your name, birthday, SSN.. etc. I'll run you through NCIC to make sure you are not some hired thug.

Plenty of folks here know who we are, we just choose not to reveal who we are publically... too many yahoo's on the board. Some of us are getting threats already. Besides, everything that we say is verifiable with official sources... why don't you call medical boards, AMA, ACP, FSMB... etc.

Umm, a student claimed to have a 3.7 undergrad, went to another carib school for 2 years (what happened? Got kicked out?), and now in a pseudo medical school that templates transcripts fraudulently to mislead medical boards... umm, good going.

I can also assure you that your transcripts will appear no differnet than those student who attended on campus, so do not worry.

Oh, no one is disputing that traditional, on-campus grads have been licensed. Yet, no one has shown that advanced credit/on-line grads have been licensed. THAT's the difference... I guess that's too difficult of a concept for current on-line students to grasp.

P

teratos
02-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I post under my real name. You can look me up on the AMA website. I think the ABIM stopped allowing you to search to see I am board certified, but you can certainly find my license. I am licensed in MD. Lic # D0059914. Be my guest. G

wolfvgang22
02-18-2005, 07:17 PM
OH! That's gotta hurt!
http://img67.exs.cx/img67/5530/bikepole4to.jpg

Ming
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi everybody.first of all im an RN with BSN degree and my specialty is Critical Care.I want to become an MD but have some constraints as im married,so i discovered a distance learning program at a school in St.Kitts
called International University of Health Scienced(i.e IUHS).It is listed in the
IMED too ,which makes it accredited.Could you give me some advice as to
1. whether its accredited in USA
2. i can do my clinicals California where i live?

3. Does anyone know of any graduates of such distance learning programs
who got to do there clinicals in USA and later got a residency there?
3. Whether the whole thing is feasible?
coz the main reason that it attracted me was that i wudnt have to leave home i.e my husband n family.

Thanks hope to see a reply soon

The basic answer to all your questions, is no, no, no and no........this school is NOT accredited anywhere. You can not practice in California if you are a graduate of this school. Also, more than 1/2 of the US states will NOT grant you a licence to practice if you do pre-clinical sciences on-line. The few grads of IUHS were mostly transfers from other schools. They have not had one single full graduate of an on-line program who is fully licenced in any state. I too was going to take up the offer of the on-line program, but believe me.....I did my homework.......

FrankieIUHS
06-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Online is crap if you ask me. I'm on campus right now. Was it a wise decision. its accredited with W.H.O., IMED, ECFMG..... But I would prefer to do my stuff on campus and not online, since most people scoff at the idea of doing Medicine online. If you plan on doing med online then think about practicing in Europe or New Zealand. Those are the places that have online med schools comming.

North America med has a tradition if you don't do your time and the program a traditional way, then your cutting corners and they don't like that... For me, I have my visa and bills to prove that I'm ON CAMPUS.

PatPark
06-22-2005, 05:49 PM
To "rntomd2:" The Medical Board of California does not recognize IUHS or any other online medical school program. You will not be eligible to train in or become licensed in California through IUHS coursework. If you'd like to train in or practice in California as a physician, you'll need to enroll in a California-recognized medical school and complete ALL of the basic sciences and clinical sciences coursework, without any advanced standing based on your nursing school basic sciences coursework.

Hielo
07-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Azkeptic.

Ouch. With the "scare" tactics.

usually these are people who can't get into regular medical schools anywhere....why? because they want to keep their day jobs and take short cuts by picking their own 'mentors'....good old cousin Bob, the FP......doctors who take shortcuts end up with problems. but if they should license they need to be looking over their shoulder because informed boards are studying it as we speak.

azskeptic
07-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Azkeptic.

Ouch. With the "scare" tactics. actually informed information source.

Hielo
07-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Azkeptic:

Are they in violation of government charter by offering DL education?

Informed Sources told you so?

Are your well informed sources, better than the sources, that knew there were "WMD" in Iraq?

:)

azskeptic
07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Azkeptic:

Are they in violation of government charter by offering DL education?

Informed Sources told you so?

Are your well informed sources, better than the sources, that knew there were "WMD" in Iraq?

:) People I spoke with personally or met with. Don't know if they are violating govt. charter or even if DL is allowed in St. Kitts/Antigua,etc.-----but show me any medical school in the US currently doing DL for their programs, having students get 'mentors', and doing non-green book clinicals.

azskeptic

Hielo
07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Azkeptic,

Are you tacitly implying that only the US has the right to implement educational changes? The US leads, and everyone else follows?

So, unless the US is doing it.................it's not worth doing?

People I spoke with personally or met with. Don't know if they are violating govt. charter or even if DL is allowed in St. Kitts/Antigua,etc.-----but show me any medical school in the US currently doing DL for their programs, having students get 'mentors', and doing non-green book clinicals.

azskeptic

azskeptic
07-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Azkeptic,

Are you tacitly implying that only the US has the right to implement educational changes? The US leads, and everyone else follows?

So, unless the US is doing it.................it's not worth doing?

Only that we have rules of equivalency in our state boards. You can do anything outside of the US that you want. Fine with me.

Hielo
07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Azkeptic,

Did you make them take a lie detector test, before, you spoke to them?
:D

People I spoke with personally or met with. Don't know if they are violating govt. charter or even if DL is allowed in St. Kitts/Antigua,etc.-----but show me any medical school in the US currently doing DL for their programs, having students get 'mentors', and doing non-green book clinicals.

azskeptic

Hielo
07-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Azskeptic,

Why did you avoid my question and instead, reply, with the typical demagogy?

You can tell, by my posts, I won't sling mud, like the younger crowd.

;)

Only that we have rules of equivalency in our state boards. You can do anything outside of the US that you want. Fine with me.

maximillian genossa
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
"show me any medical school in the US currently doing DL for their programs, having students get 'mentors', and doing non-green book clinicals."

Check Ohio State University. They seem to have a DL program, with some restrictions but they do have one.

azskeptic
07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Azskeptic,

Why did you avoid my question and instead, reply, with the typical demagogy?

You can tell, by my posts, I won't sling mud, like the younger crowd.

;) No, I am direct in that. Difference is our laws...that is why people are dying trying to swim to the US from various countries all the time. We have law and order here.

Hielo
07-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Sir, you are not being direct, this time. I am asking you; do you think that the US has a corner on the market of medical educational leadership? In other words, when a US school implements DL ; it's o.k.? The rest of the world should just sit down and shut up?

On the other hand, you are right, people are swimming to get into Carib Medical Schools that were rejected in the US.......oh, wait.........those applicants are US Citizens.

:)

No, I am direct in that. Difference is our laws...that is why people are dying trying to swim to the US from various countries all the time. We have law and order here.

azskeptic
07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Sir, you are not being direct, this time. I am asking you; do you think that the US has a corner on the market of medical educational leadership? In other words, when a US school implements DL ; it's o.k.? The rest of the world should just sit down and shut up?

On the other hand, you are right, people are swimming to get into Carib Medical Schools that were rejected in the US.......oh, wait.........those applicants are US Citizens.

:) When the offshore medical schools show that DL is an equivalent method and convinces the US State medical boards of it, then it is fine with me.

Hielo
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
How deeply involved would the US State Medical Boards, be, in the process? Since, the US does not recognize foreign education directly (unless you are the State of California, which seems to be a country unto itself).

This is why the NCFMEA exists in the United States, right?

When the offshore medical schools show that DL is an equivalent method and convinces the US State medical boards of it, then it is fine with me.

azskeptic
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
How deeply involved would the US State Medical Boards, be, in the process? Since, the US does not recognize foreign education directly (unless you are the State of California, which seems to be a country unto itself).

This is why the NCFMEA exists in the United States, right? Well, watch the process. State Boards are looking at this seriously as is the FSMB.

Hielo
07-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Azskeptic,

Are you implying that State Medical Boards will now "accredit" or "recognize" foreign medical education processes and outcomes?

Wow, this is a big piece of news.

Well, watch the process. State Boards are looking at this seriously as is the FSMB.

azskeptic
07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Azskeptic,

Are you implying that State Medical Boards will now "accredit" or "recognize" foreign medical education processes and outcomes?

Wow, this is a big piece of news. State boards decide if they accept the foreign govt.s approval of the school,degrees,etc and yes, decide if they will recognize it. Not big news...happening already. That is the topic of discussion on numerous forums. Use your search engine.

Hielo
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Use my...........sea.....gine...........oh, my search engine.......right. (It's the search engine magic).

Search engines make ordinary men, erudites.........................

-HIELO

State boards decide if they accept the foreign govt.s approval of the school,degrees,etc and yes, decide if they will recognize it. Not big news...happening already. That is the topic of discussion on numerous forums. Use your search engine.

Good Doctor
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I am a student at IUHS and I just heard the Registrar (can't name her here) was fired! She was the only one who fought for students and they have gotten rid of her. Apparently, now the accountant will run everything. I am going to leave after I heard this and would urge everyone to stay away from the crooked school.

I hope she has a good lawyer!

AUCMD2006
07-19-2005, 09:17 PM
"US has a corner on the market of medical educational leadership? In other words, when a US school implements DL ; it's o.k.? The rest of the world should just sit down and shut up?"

if you want to work in the US then yes they have the market cornered on what medical education they deem minimal to work here. if podunk, china wants to accept DL its their perrogative and the US has no authority on the matter. in other words is st kitts/st lucia/st anywhere says it will accept iuhs DL credits to work there then more power to them but why should the US be forced to accept it? makes no sense.

"On the other hand, you are right, people are swimming to get into Carib Medical Schools that were rejected in the US.......oh, wait.........those applicants are US Citizens"

yes we are, the caribbean schools are in business to cater to us for the shortage of US doctors. do you think anyone in daminica, grenada, etc would pay 10k per semester...better yet do any of these places were our schools are need an extra 200 doctors every year?

lswiltshire
07-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Re do you think anyone in daminica, grenada, etc would pay 10k per semester?

NO OF COURSE NOT
These folk can go to a much better school for almost FREE!........and get a superior education!

RE I am a student at IUHS and I just heard the Registrar (can't name her here) was fired! She was the only one who fought for students and they have gotten rid of her. Apparently, now the accountant will run everything. I am going to leave after I heard this and would urge everyone to stay away from the crooked school.

I hope she has a good lawyer!

COULD YOU PLEASE PM ME WITH THE DETAILS

IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WHOM IM THINKING OF THIS INCREDULOUS

maximillian genossa
07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
in which you said..."When the offshore medical schools show that DL is an equivalent method and convinces the US State medical boards of it, then it is fine with me."

My question for you will be how can that happen if they are not given a fair chance to present their case?

It seems that many State boards are growing more and more dependent on second hand information not necessarily from the schools offering this kind of programs and that opens the door to negative bias. Have State boards given these schools a fair chance to present their programs and explain them?

I use yourself as an example, you seem to have constantly tried to influence state boards in the negative side of this issue. What kind of scientific, unbiased research have you done on DL BASIC SCIENCES education that it produces sub-standard physicians? Not Google search sir, but reliable unbiased studies.

Can you elaborate.

azskeptic
07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
in which you said..."When the offshore medical schools show that DL is an equivalent method and convinces the US State medical boards of it, then it is fine with me."

My question for you will be how can that happen if they are not given a fair chance to present their case?

It seems that many State boards are growing more and more dependent on second hand information not necessarily from the schools offering this kind of programs and that opens the door to negative bias. Have State boards given these schools a fair chance to present their programs and explain them?

I use yourself as an example, you seem to have constantly tried to influence state boards in the negative side of this issue. What kind of scientific, unbiased research have you done on DL BASIC SCIENCES education that it produces sub-standard physicians? Not Google search sir, but reliable unbiased studies.

Can you elaborate. State laws discuss equivalent education and DL isn't done nor has it been researched as done by UHSA,IUHS, or the now defunct St. Luke Self study medical schooling ended in the early 20's in the US.

But also other govts. are calling these schools down also
see

http://allafrica.com/stories/200507200430.html
Gov't Finally Closes St. Luke

AUCMD2006
07-21-2005, 05:04 PM
"Re do you think anyone in daminica, grenada, etc would pay 10k per semester?

NO OF COURSE NOT
These folk can go to a much better school for almost FREE!........and get a superior education!"

not the point, locals can go to UWI and they will probably get a superior education for the island type of medicine because that is the focus. i'm sure the teachers there don't focus on the USMLE or the epidemology of disease in the united states. i am sure they will focus on pertinent medicine with appropriate HIV rates, and all the different bugs and drugs used there.

i will venture to say that since the "big" caribbean schools have most of their faculty as former US medical school academics, that the level and style is comparable to the average US medical school. from having sat in lectures at the university of illinois, wayne state, and nova i will say that the profs and lectures are similar and would not call them superior nor downgrade my caribbean education. the place were US schools shine vs our lowly carib schools is administrative support, student services, researcg opportunities, and student academic support.

so although the local university maybe superior to our caribbean med schools for island medicine i doubt highly that it is superior or better in any capacity in training anyone for the USMLE because after all the USMLE is for US medicine, diseases, and even has a great deal of cultural bias that i'm sure influences the 50% pass rate for IMG's who are often the brightest in their classes and may know medicine better than any of us US med school rejects but couldn't talk their way through a restaurant order.

wonder what the pass rate at UWI would be on teh USMLE if everyone took it not just people studying for it outside the usual curriculum?

azskeptic
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
"Re do you think anyone in daminica, grenada, etc would pay 10k per semester?

NO OF COURSE NOT
These folk can go to a much better school for almost FREE!........and get a superior education!"

not the point, locals can go to UWI and they will probably get a superior education for the island type of medicine because that is the focus. i'm sure the teachers there don't focus on the USMLE or the epidemology of disease in the united states. i am sure they will focus on pertinent medicine with appropriate HIV rates, and all the different bugs and drugs used there.

i will venture to say that since the "big" caribbean schools have most of their faculty as former US medical school academics, that the level and style is comparable to the average US medical school. from having sat in lectures at the university of illinois, wayne state, and nova i will say that the profs and lectures are similar and would not call them superior nor downgrade my caribbean education. the place were US schools shine vs our lowly carib schools is administrative support, student services, researcg opportunities, and student academic support.

so although the local university maybe superior to our caribbean med schools for island medicine i doubt highly that it is superior or better in any capacity in training anyone for the USMLE because after all the USMLE is for US medicine, diseases, and even has a great deal of cultural bias that i'm sure influences the 50% pass rate for IMG's who are often the brightest in their classes and may know medicine better than any of us US med school rejects but couldn't talk their way through a restaurant order.

wonder what the pass rate at UWI would be on teh USMLE if everyone took it not just people studying for it outside the usual curriculum? One thing you have to admit to is that there is a wide range of offshore medical schools......do the students they prepare vary widely also? From Khias to Cadillacs if you were using the car analogy?

AUCMD2006
07-21-2005, 10:07 PM
the students who go to UWI are probably top notch in their schools where as us vary greatly in academic background and between schools from the good the bad and the will accept anyone with a pulse and a charge card

maximillian genossa
07-27-2005, 11:51 AM
You did not answer my question, just danced around the issue. I know about the St.Luke press release and it amazes me that they do that on July the 19 when they have a pending hearing with their Supreme Court on July 25th and 27th. But I already adressed that one on a separate posting.

Can you adress my original question objectively? You haven't.

azskeptic
07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
You did not answer my question, just danced around the issue. I know about the St.Luke press release and it amazes me that they do that on July the 19 when they have a pending hearing with their Supreme Court on July 25th and 27th. But I already adressed that one on a separate posting.

Can you adress my original question objectively? You haven't.

actually in the absence of information hard to make a definitive answer and for any student to make a decision about a school in the political and legal situation that this school is would be a disaster.

IMG X-Files
03-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Hence the importance of CARICOM site visits !!

aedmd2b
07-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah that is true because for one Tennessee will never allow you to get a lic there if you went to a school that has a distance learning program ( even if you were not part of the program). So the point is am I interested in an M.D. because I have been a nurse or other allied health professional and feel I know as much as a doctor and therefore should take the easy way to get the same money and honor without the training. I remember when I was rotating in the states I ran into several Nurse Practioners that thought they were doc and a med tech that got busted for over stepping her authority and ordered a improper test series rather than alert the physician that was patient's doctor. This resulted in the patient losing her baby. I guess what I am trying to say is if you feel that your training is just as good as a doctor without going to medical school why should you be interested in an M.D. and not willignto put in the work if it is truly doing the best for the patient rather than some ego trip. Obiviously you had to sit in class to get your present degree. What's up with that.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term
December cometh and I am off this rock.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.