PDA

View Full Version : What happens after you get your degree?

loverofmedicine
03-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Hi all,
I'm interested in studying Medicine at Semmelweis University. I'm a non-EU student by the way. I was wondering, what happens after students complete the course and get their degree? Do they move on to residency in Hungary or are they required to go back to their country? Please, if anyone has any info let me know. I can't make a decision without knowing. Thank you.

devildoc8404
03-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Hi all,
I'm interested in studying Medicine at Semmelweis University. I'm a non-EU student by the way. I was wondering, what happens after students complete the course and get their degree? Do they move on to residency in Hungary or are they required to go back to their country? Please, if anyone has any info let me know. I can't make a decision without knowing. Thank you.

Holy crap, there are a ton of possible outcomes. Just a few of them:

1) Ideally, one graduates and starts residency either back home or in another very desirable location with excellent training and physician remuneration.
2) One graduates, but is unable to get a training position for residency in his/her home country (or another desirable location) and must seek one elsewhere, but can find one because of language ability, solid study habits and clinical abilities, etc.
3) One graduates, but has to pay further tuition for residency training in a less-desirable location (as opposed to being paid for work during residency, one pays the hospital for the privilege of being abused as a resident for x number of years). This, in my opinion, would be one of the circles of hell.
4) One graduates, but is unable to get a training position for residency anywhere, for any of a variety of reasons, and has to do something else entirely. I know a lot of people in this boat, alas... doing nursing, health counseling, sales, teaching, etc.
5) One does not graduate and simply wastes a crapload of time and money.

Without an EU passport it can be challenging to get a residency position in the EU (whether in Hungary, or anyplace else). Not impossible overall, but challenging (and in some EU countries, it is essentially impossible). This is speaking strictly from a citizenship and immigration standpoint, and not even considering the fact that you need to speak the local language with a given level of fluency in order to be allowed to complete residency someplace.

Looking at my class, which was not from Semmelweis (Semmelweis is a higher-regarded medical school than mine, and Budapest is a much more desirable location), we had 16 students in my English cohort. Two went to the US for residency (both in family medicine). One went to Germany for residency (neurology). One went to Switzerland for residency (surgery/urology). One went to Germany for like six months, washed out, and is now selling health supplements in India someplace. One went back to India and was having trouble getting a residency there because her diploma was from E-EU, no idea how that turned out in the end. One may have gone to Greece, and another back to the UK, but I am not sure how that worked out for them. The rest are either paying tuition for residency training -- or they are not doing medicine at all.

Now, Semmelweis has a better reputation internationally than my school, so the results are likely somewhat better. But the results depend SO MUCH on how well and effectively you study, and your results on board examinations, and the languages you speak, and whether or not you can interview your way out of a paper bag, that it is utterly impossible to predict how your experience will turn out.

loverofmedicine
03-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Thank you so much for responding @devildoc8404! Yes, I've read that it's really really difficult to get a residency position in the EU if you're non-EU due to the citizenship restrictions and in some cases, the language barrier. I agree, paying for residency sounds like hell lol. I know the US is possible if you take the boards but I've also read that as an IMG matching is extremely difficult and even at that, you're pretty much not going to match into super competitive specialty.

Thank you for your detailed response, I'll ponder on all of this :)

Trudy28
09-26-2018, 06:40 AM
My sister have been studying there.She got the residency in Hungary after 10 years living

devildoc8404
09-26-2018, 02:13 PM
My sister have been studying there.She got the residency in Hungary after 10 years living

Do you mean "residency" as in "legal right to live in Hungary," or "residency" as in "postgraduate medical training?" I think we are talking about two different things, here.

Because sheesh, if she lived there for ten years and only then started residency training in some medical specialty, how in the hell did she recall anything from medical school?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.