PDA

View Full Version : St. Martinus in 2018

BlackBean
02-27-2018, 02:22 AM
Hello!

I just recently have been accepted to St. Martinus University in Curacap and I am excited but I have some reservations about accepting their offer. A lot of what I have read is quite polarizing and I want to know for sure what the current status of the university is. Many of the posts on this forum date to almost a decade ago and none are too pleasant and those that are positive almost seem compensated for (yes I am a bit skeptical but I rather be so then have blind trust).

I know there is a stigma floating around claiming that caribbean medical schools are not credible and a huge waste of time and money but I understand its what you make of it at the end of the day. However with that said I rather not commit myself to this university if after my graduation I will be left high and dry without a job offer from the United States.

So if there are any current students that can give me insight on the current workings of the university I will be most grateful. I care about my education but I don't want to be scammed.

Atlantoaxial
02-27-2018, 12:00 PM
I don't know specifically for St.Martinus, but I'm concerned you think that way:
I rather not commit myself to this university if after my graduation I will be left high and dry without a job offer from the United States

For ANY carib school you should think to a plan B.

hje123
02-27-2018, 01:28 PM
there are lots of options in the Caribbean. SMU is one of the worst. They have 17 alumni in the US? huge red flag.

BlackBean
02-28-2018, 05:05 AM
That's what I was afraid of.

do you have any insight on Avalon University? That was another one I was considering

hje123
02-28-2018, 10:43 AM
That's what I was afraid of.

do you have any insight on Avalon University? That was another one I was considering

Avalon is the school people go to when they fail out of a better school. Is there a reason you are only considering the lowest tier carib schools?

BlackBean
03-01-2018, 03:46 AM
Well, to be honest, I have family on the island so it would be the easiest to integrate with and all the extra costs that come with med school would be taken care of

hulk2356
03-01-2018, 12:29 PM
It sucks, not reliable,was in the island with another school when this came up Curacao chronicle St martinus must close immediately, search that on google

hje123
03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Well, to be honest, I have family on the island so it would be the easiest to integrate with and all the extra costs that come with med school would be taken care of

well good luck i guess. none of the schools in curacao are worth attending to be honest. if you are more worried about money than your education, you should consider a different field of study.

BlackBean
03-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Im not. It was just more of the convenient choice for me but I am willing to look into other locations.

I had Xavier Uni in mind but I am a bit skeptical because its technically considered a mid tier school but what I've been reading tells me otherwise. Then again all the information is from 10 years ago. I don't suppose you don't have any insight on them?

Atlantoaxial
03-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Not sure if you understand well what carib schools are (I'm not saying to avoid them).
BIG 4 are the only ones where someone can tell you: GO. But EVEN then....their matching rate is incomparable with US schools (even DO).

From that point, which one is better between SMU, Xavier, St.James, St.Matthews, etc....you will NOT have the answer on a forum.
Why?
Because:
- most of the people commenting haven't put a single foot at the school they are commenting about. But they like to defame.
- we think many posts are done or paid by schools.
- it's very possible also some schools do bash other schools (under false identity).
- many have a superiority/inferiority complex. Since they had the opportunity to go to a better school they will stigmatize other schools they consider "inferior"; probably to calm their anxiety and to feel superior.

I've read the comments on valuemd for many years. And I've been to a med school people commented so much about. But almost everything people said was FALSE (for the reasons explained above).

I've also seen many people trying to discourage students to attend to X or y school...arguing they will never be able to match or be licensed in the US (...while hundreds of practicing physicians came from that school).

I will give you a hint: find residents and licensed doctors from the school you'd like to go. You'll see some of the most bashed schools have produced a ton of practicing physicians (UAG and Spartan are the best examples).

hje123
03-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Spartan had 15 people get a residency last year. 1-5. That is not "a ton".

Atlantoaxial
03-02-2018, 03:36 PM
15 is not that bad (also they have small class size), probably the average for a carib med school (apart the big 4).
And they are open since 1980....so they probably have hundreds if not over 1000 MDs practicing in the US.

*And I really doubt St.Martinus is currently better than Spartan.

hje123
03-03-2018, 06:18 PM
15 is not that bad (also they have small class size), probably the average for a carib med school (apart the big 4).
And they are open since 1980....so they probably have hundreds if not over 1000 MDs practicing in the US.

*And I really doubt St.Martinus is currently better than Spartan.

You dont have to guess. Spartan lists it on their website. There are currently 41 Spartan grads in residency and 30 practicing physicians. TOTAL. in 37 years. That is like 2 per year that make it. I honestly can't even believe that school has accreditated.

Doc
03-03-2018, 06:49 PM
You dont have to guess. Spartan lists it on their website. There are currently 41 Spartan grads in residency and 30 practicing physicians. TOTAL. in 37 years. That is like 2 per year that make it. I honestly can't even believe that school has accreditated.

Your assumptions are inaccurate, but mainly the result of poor messaging on the part of the Spartan. Those lists are not all-inclusive, but only make up a relatively small portion of alumni who have agreed to have their information posted. How do I know this? Because I personally know at least 6 Spartan grads who have been active physicians for several years and are not included on that list (4 Fam Med, 1 Anesthesiology, 1 Psych).

Doc
03-03-2018, 07:33 PM
- we think many posts are done or paid by schools.
- it's very possible also some schools do bash other schools (under false identity).

VMD Moderators try to minimize this. Case in point: To the individual on this very thread who is really a school official bashing other schools under false identity, kindly cease and desist your use of multiple accounts. If you attempt to use anything other than your School Official account to post, ALL accounts will be banned as per our policies.

metches
03-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Caribbean should be a last resort. That being said, I went to Avalon and the experience was fine. I am currently in residency. It is getting harder, and harder to match from the Carib, so if you have any other option I would go with it. FYI St James is terrible, I did my first 2 semesters there and I would not touch that school with a 10ft pole.

Atlantoaxial
03-04-2018, 05:00 PM
What wrong with St.James exactly? Can you give some examples?

Mazzhole
07-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Hello!
The school has recently been ordered to shut down. Search about the school 2017 and 2018. The school is not accredited so be careful. Your best bet is take the MCATs and apply to a school located in the US
I just recently have been accepted to St. Martinus University in Curacap and I am excited but I have some reservations about accepting their offer. A lot of what I have read is quite polarizing and I want to know for sure what the current status of the university is. Many of the posts on this forum date to almost a decade ago and none are too pleasant and those that are positive almost seem compensated for (yes I am a bit skeptical but I rather be so then have blind trust).

I know there is a stigma floating around claiming that caribbean medical schools are not credible and a huge waste of time and money but I understand its what you make of it at the end of the day. However with that said I rather not commit myself to this university if after my graduation I will be left high and dry without a job offer from the United States.

So if there are any current students that can give me insight on the current workings of the university I will be most grateful. I care about my education but I don't want to be scammed.

You should always do your research before applying anywhere.

Mazzhole
07-16-2018, 08:15 AM
I would say most of us have been a student at one of those questionable schools

Mddmd9677
03-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Stay away bad bad school . They have professos who have had their medical licenses pulled for sexual assault etc

Mddmd9677
03-01-2019, 09:21 AM
It started off legit and had real mds as professors (Early Elshot) excellent, but the school had become bankrupt and lost ECFMG accreditation

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.