PDA

View Full Version : Safe?

jpremed
01-18-2018, 09:14 PM
For students who have attended Saba, I am curious about life on campus. Is it nice to live there/safe for women being there alone?

mambostrike5
01-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Hello, I currently go here. The island is very safe and we don't even lock our doors at night. Its very small and the locals are very nice. HOWEVER, as far as the quality of education goes this school is horrendous. The admin is very greedy and don't care about the students. They keep us in mandatory lecture from 8a-5pm every day of the week with an hour for lunch. There is no time to properly review the material, no time to visit professors' office hours, and often we find ourselves sacrificing part of the material to learn other parts just to pass. Do your research and you will see that an 8 hour mandatory lecture, 5 days a week is not at all normal for any medical school, and you will obtain zero clinical experience on an island with 2000 people.

On top of all of that, even if the lectures were short and precise, we cant even understand most of the profs because they have VERY THICK African and Indian accents. You're basically left on your own to reteach everything to yourself. Most students sit in the back of the class and watch kaplan. This is not quality education. Usually 5-8 out of 80 students are very smart and do well, but the normal student gets destroyed.

Please reconsider coming here, be patient and keep trying in the States or Canada. Do not waste your talents on this false advertising institution.

Good luck!

tillcoll
08-30-2018, 08:54 AM
so why did you entered there?

axiomofchoice
08-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Regarding the education: You have 5-7 hours every day after class as well as all weekend long to review the material. This should be plenty of time.

Many students who attend Caribbean schools are surprised when they struggle academically, even when thats the reason most of them are there in the first place. Don't blame the school - the slides are given to you. Know those and supplement with books as needed

Yes, 5-8 students -10 % is about right for the creme that rises to the top of every class.

My class started with just over 100. A little over 40 finished basic sciences. About 10 were exceptional students and have done extremely well. only 1 who finished basic sciences failed to secure any residency.

The island was extremely safe when I was there. In fact, I felt safer there than anywhere in the US. There was that one student that was murdered by another....

mambostrike5
09-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Yes the island is very safe. Nobody locks their doors, and the locals are a very nice people. HOWEVER, I advise you to rethink coming down here for other reasons. This school has a very unorganized and failing curriculum. From semesters 1-5 our class hours are almost double that of the average med school in the caribbean or the US (check AAMC yourself and compare the credit hours listed on the school website). They barely give you any time to study. The school's president himself has shown concern about how the NMBE basic sciences comprehensive final pass rate has dropped from 80-90% to 40-50% since they changed curriculum about 2 years ago. On top of that there is a great deal of nit picky corrupt and double standard things they do down here that have screwed over so many students, I will not get into the details as you can check my countless posts on this site about those.

Please stay clear of the schools owned by R3 Education.

Leighton20
08-27-2019, 03:11 AM
we cant even understand most of the profs

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.