PDA

View Full Version : AUA Ask Me Anything

Carefulobserver
11-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Hello There,

I have been on the Antigua Island for 1 semester.
I talk to many students on gaining their options and their stories on what they come across.
I can answer quests about couples and families coming to the island.
I can tell you where the best places to eat are as well as day-to-day life of students.
If you want to know about gyms or exercising i can answer those questions as well.
I will post as much detail as possible without identifying myself as it is not well revived for anyone at any school to say what i am willing to say.

Also if i do not know the answer i will ask others and find the answer for you.

Carefulobserver
11-28-2017, 09:08 PM
This is a placeholder so i can post the questions asked and what the answers are.

Question:
Where Can I Go Grocery Shopping?

Answer:
There are quite a few places to go grocery shopping.
You can order your groceries and have them delivered to you, however it is at surplus prices oh top of delivery. They do ship to you free if you hit the minimum amount, Though you are still paying a lot more in the end.
I will list a few starting with the most popular.

Epicurean ( They also have a pharmacy here, as well as a small Chinese place to get food. )
Cost Pro ( Sometimes cheaper then Epicurean, however it is very small and not big selection )
First Choice Foods ( So so place, decent price, but not very stocked. )

Question:
Where to go Eat?

Answer:
There are quite a few places you can eat at, however life at AUA can be rough and as such, i recommend to order food to your room. The only place you can order online is at "quik-serve.com"
Through Quik Serve,(Notice it is quik not quick) you can order
Alibaba
Green Sea's
Spices of India
La Bussola
BayHouse Restaurant
Tucker on the Grill
Garden Grill
El Taco Loco
Clean Juice
Road Runners
Delightful Chinese Kitchen
GEO'S
Touloulou
Tony's Pizza
Hemmingways Cafe
Burger King

Question:
How do I get from point A to Point B?

Answer:
Almost everyone uses taxis. The rest buy cars.
A taxi ride is anywhere from $15ec (about $6 US) each way each person to $20ec (about $8 US).
Be aware that this can change fast if you go to far.
You have to wait for the taxi sometimes up to 3 hours if they say there is traffic.
Traffic here is not too busy, but Antigua is a very slow paced place. Everyone loves to relax and as such things take a lot longer to get done.

For the rest of you, People buy or rent cars.
To find a car for sale I would recommend you go on facebook and add this Group."facebook.com/groups/AUAmarket/"

Question:
Where can i get this?

Answer:
Most things are hard to come by on the island or if you do find it, you will find it at a high price. I would recommend to buy it used from Facebook groups such as this Group."facebook.com/groups/AUAmarket/"
Otherwise you will have to get it here yourself and that is not very easy.

Question:
Will I get accepted with a X.XX GPA and my MCAT Score of XX?

Answer:
Well this is different for every person, I would not worry about it. I have heard of people with horrible grades who have got accepted.
My only warning to this is be prepared.
Medical school here is very self taught, the majority of the information you get will be through you studying very hard and you partnering through your classmates.
Yes you may have a teacher, but honestly others and I feel as if they are lacking.

Question:
What do you think about housing?

Answer:
If you are asking about school housing, then it is expensive. Electricity is not covered and neither is the gas for your stove. The average electric bill I've seen is about $400-600 US a month. It is very expensive.
The landlords really don't care too much about their tenants because they are always guaranteed new ones. The average wait time to get something fixed or to get assistance is 3-4 days. My recommendation is to email the school and not them directly.
Gas will last you if you do not cook everyday. I personally cook every single day and have only had to replace once.

If you are talking about outside housing, then be aware of where you go. I will not say it is dangerous to get housing outside of the school provided one because most areas are safe. If you see someplace really cheap, more then likely you will have problems. I have seen rent as low as $150 US a month here not including utilities.

If you are with a family, pay the extra to be safe.
If you are not, find a nice place with roomates.

Question:
Any Pro Tips on Housing?

Answer:
Electricity will range from $400-600 US a month if you are always home.
Gas will be about $30 US a Semiester
Internet will range in prices, but i tend to get the most expensive. $400-800 US a semester.
Some places will offer internet included and no matter how they promote their fast internet it will always be the slow one.
Internet will constantly go out, I get about 4 outages a week. They range from 10 mins to a few hours.
Electricity does go out here pretty often, I get at least 1 power outage a week, Good news is they only last a few seconds.

Question:
What Should I Bring?

Answer:
I will name a few items off the top of my head, I will update if i think of anything else.
Pillow,
Sheets,
Blanket,
Extra set of Sheets (If you are washing them you will need to keep something else on),
A Pan (They provide Pots, but they don't provide pans even though they say they do.)
A light jacket (This only applies to the classrooms as it is HUMID outside)
A Computer
Flash Drive,
Backpack (Small one will suffice)
Cash (You don't need to bring much, but i would bring some as the ATM's do have a tendency to go down often)
Open and Closed toe shoes (Trust me you will want both)
Professional Clothing
Eye Chart (must be pocket sized)
Stethascope
Pen light
Tuning fork
Reflex hammer
Earphones (Trust you will need this, everyone always regrets not bringing these. Get some that have noise cancellation)

Question:
What is the Currancy?

Answer:
EC
The conversion on US is about 2.7 EC to every US.
Rent will be displayed in US everything else in EC. My guess is to make it seem like rent is cheap.

Question:
Is there anything similar to Walmart there?

Answer:
The Epicurean is probably the closest thing to it. They sell TV's, Earphones and other small electronics as well as some clothes and auto care items. If you ever been to a Neighborhood Walmart and not the full Walmart store that would be a better comparison.

Question:
Also I need to ship a few things to the island, do you have any suggestions on how to do so?

Answer:
If you need to ship have the address as the school. Small items like letters you can pick up from the school, however bigger items are picked up from the post office. Fed Ex is probably the best way to ship items that are not huge or in big quantity.

Question:
Is there a bank that I should open an account with prior to arriving on the island?

Answer:
You can open an account with Scotia Bank, However many students open an account with Bank of America before they come to the island since they only charge the overseas fee which is very minimal. I believe it is 5%. They have ATM's at every Shopping Center and even at the school.

Carefulobserver
11-29-2017, 01:43 PM
I updated the post with more questions, Please ask away if you want more on here, or I may give up due to lack of interest.

Medminor
12-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Hello Carefulobserver! :) Thank you for the information. I have questions for you. Is there anything similar to Walmart there? Also I need to ship a few things to the island, do you have any suggestions on how to do so? Can I buy pans and other house stuff on the island? Lastly, is there a bank that I should open an account with prior to arriving on the island? Thanks in advance!

Carefulobserver
12-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Hello Carefulobserver! :) Thank you for the information. I have questions for you. Is there anything similar to Walmart there? Also I need to ship a few things to the island, do you have any suggestions on how to do so? Can I buy pans and other house stuff on the island? Lastly, is there a bank that I should open an account with prior to arriving on the island? Thanks in advance!

Question: Is there anything similar to Walmart there?

Answer: The Epicurean is probably the closest thing to it. They sell TV's, Earphones and other small electronics as well as some clothes and auto care items. If you ever been to a Neighborhood Walmart and not the full Walmart store that would be a better comparison.

Question: Also I need to ship a few things to the island, do you have any suggestions on how to do so?

Answer: If you need to ship have the address as the school. Small items like letters you can pick up from the school, however bigger items are picked up from the post office. Fed Ex is probably the best way to ship items that are not huge or in big quantity.

Question: Is there a bank that I should open an account with prior to arriving on the island?

Answer: You can open an account with Scotia Bank, However many students open an account with Bank of America before they come to the island since they only charge the overseas fee which is very minimal. I believe it is 5%. They have ATM's at every Shopping Center and even at the school.

Medminor
12-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Thank you so much for the information. I’m assuming that I can buy all school supplies at the bookstore?

Carefulobserver
12-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Do not count on that, they told a lot of us that was the case, but it was not. Many places are sold out or it costs a lot of money. At least buy a small amount to get the school year started with as remember EVERYONE is trying to buy their supplies. AUA is not the only school on the island.

Medminor
12-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Thank you so much. I will purchase in advance. :)

Carefulobserver
12-21-2017, 11:11 AM
No problem, if you need anything else let me know

Medminor
12-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks again! :)

whydoyoucare
01-03-2018, 12:39 AM
I have to schedule an interview soon with a senior admissions director. I am being very nervous since this will be my first medical interview. This will be via skype, so can you let me know what should i expect ? what kind of stats are required to get in ? please help thanks

Carefulobserver
01-03-2018, 05:23 AM
My answer will be very bland. As long as you are decent you will do fine. Just make sure to bring up your love of helping people. If you did had how you have changed. Any hardships in the family that has made you want to become a doctor. Most of all be sincere. It is very easy to tell if someone is lying, especially because they ask the same questions to countless other people. If you have any medical experience bring it up as well.

whydoyoucare
01-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks i am being nervous somehow! Looking at other carribeaan schools that are being so competitive jus like US medical schools is quite worrysome. Did u do well on Mcat ? Are they really required before you register for your first semester ? Thx

Carefulobserver
01-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Yes I did it, my score was extremely low. May I ask what your score was?

whydoyoucare
01-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Yes I did it, my score was extremely low. May I ask what your score was?

I have not taken the MCAT yet. But i am prepping for it with princton review and other outlets. I hope i get into AUA so that i do not have to spend so much time on MCAT. It is just the feeling of excitement and nervousness at the same time. I hope i do well on the interview aswell as MCAT.

Carefulobserver
01-03-2018, 11:28 AM
While a low mcat score doesn't ruin your chances of getting in, a good score doesn't help you during school. I have noticed much of what I'm learning is related to The mcat in a way. Do the nest you can on it, it will help out

TheFBguy
02-02-2018, 05:04 PM
~Deleted message

Tcs0503
05-30-2018, 08:08 PM
How long does it take to actually graduate from the program? I see answers ranging from 4 to 4.5 years?

TheFBguy
05-30-2018, 08:24 PM
Most students take 4.5 yrs to graduate.

Tcs0503
05-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Is that common for Caribbean schools in general or just this one?

TheFBguy
05-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Every school has their own timeline and requirements to graduate.

Tcs0503
05-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if you know the answer to this question but how does MUA compare to AUA?

TheFBguy
05-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately I do not know too much about MUA. I do however believe that there are only 5 schools (the big 5) that holds 50 states accreditation and Title IV funding. Of those schools, AUA along with St George, Ross, AUC and Saba meets those requirements. Back then, it use to be the Big 4 (St. George, Ross, AUC, Saba) till AUA matched their accreditations and federal fundings. Also, I believe AUA is the only Caribbean med school that is affiliated with a US medical school (Florida International University).

mddoct
09-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Hello There,

I have been on the Antigua Island for 1 semester.
I talk to many students on gaining their options and their stories on what they come across.
I can answer quests about couples and families coming to the island.
I can tell you where the best places to eat are as well as day-to-day life of students.
If you want to know about gyms or exercising i can answer those questions as well.
I will post as much detail as possible without identifying myself as it is not well revived for anyone at any school to say what i am willing to say.

Also if i do not know the answer i will ask others and find the answer for you.

Hope you are doing well. I applied for spring 2019 and finished my interview around 2 weeks back. I have not heard back and I was starting to get worried. Would you know how long they take to get back?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it :)

Carefulobserver
09-15-2018, 10:47 AM
It didn't take long however they are having a lot more students apply than normal. I wouldn't worry, they have like twice as many 1st semester students than normal

mddoct
09-15-2018, 01:11 PM
It didn't take long however they are having a lot more students apply than normal. I wouldn't worry, they have like twice as many 1st semester students than normal

Thanks so much for replying! Is it normal for them to take longer than two weeks for a decision? Also, I saw that you mentioned you have to self-study a lot. Did you mean the classes taught were not as helpful?

Carefulobserver
09-15-2018, 01:55 PM
They really don't teach. It's more they put you in a room with other students and you study. They also give you videos but those videos are pretty old. You may also have a professor who has no clue about medical school as they never worked in the industry.

The teachers in videos are not very enthusiastic. They talk like they are bored or are falling asleep.
Or they have so much energy and have such a thick accent it's hard to make out what they are saying.

They also reference books the school does not provide. Or they provide the books to you extremely late.

mddoct
09-16-2018, 12:54 PM
They really don't teach. It's more they put you in a room with other students and you study. They also give you videos but those videos are pretty old. You may also have a professor who has no clue about medical school as they never worked in the industry.

The teachers in videos are not very enthusiastic. They talk like they are bored or are falling asleep.
Or they have so much energy and have such a thick accent it's hard to make out what they are saying.

They also reference books the school does not provide. Or they provide the books to you extremely late.

Thanks so much for your response! What would be your study tips at AUA?

Carefulobserver
09-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Make friends with people who are in 2nd and 3rd semester. Work as a team. Everything you do that is of any use is from helping each other.

mddoct
09-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Make friends with people who are in 2nd and 3rd semester. Work as a team. Everything you do that is of any use is from helping each other.

Hey! I just got accepted to AUA. I am so sorry for bothering you but I was wondering if we could talk whenever you are available?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.