PDA

View Full Version : Severely depressed, and worried about chances.

furthestthing100
05-28-2017, 12:05 AM
Hello Friends,

I am currently entering my third year of University as a Chemistry major. I currently have a 3.94 cumulative GPA, and a 3.85 science GPA. Everything was going well until last semester. I overwhelmed myself with the amount of extracurricular activities I was doing. As a result, I accumulated five withdrawals. Additionally, I had a plethora of family issues that I do not wish disclosing.

EC's include: 1 year at the homeless shelter, 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours of shadowing, volunteer leader at hospital, one year with big/brothers sisters, president of two clubs. I am thinking of joining the peace-corps once I graduate. Now, my biggest fear is attending an off-shore medical school. Am I doomed? I am severely depressed, and lost. Seems as if I am falling and can't see the light of day. Everything is going negatively, to the point where I feel suicidal at times.

nonizondi
05-28-2017, 01:20 AM
Hello Friends,

I am currently entering my third year of University as a Chemistry major. I currently have a 3.94 cumulative GPA, and a 3.85 science GPA. Everything was going well until last semester. I overwhelmed myself with the amount of extracurricular activities I was doing. As a result, I accumulated five withdrawals. Additionally, I had a plethora of family issues that I do not wish disclosing.

EC's include: 1 year at the homeless shelter, 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours of shadowing, volunteer leader at hospital, one year with big/brothers sisters, president of two clubs. I am thinking of joining the peace-corps once I graduate. Now, my biggest fear is attending an off-shore medical school. Am I doomed? I am severely depressed, and lost. Seems as if I am falling and can't see the light of day. Everything is going negatively, to the point where I feel suicidal at times.

You did right by withdrawing rather than risking a low gpa. Adcoms don't care how many withdrawals you have on your transcript nor how long it it took you to complete your degree. I wish I withdrew from classes I knew I was not going to do well in when I was in college... If you do well on the mcat you will not have any problem ...Do not rush , take your time and do it the right way. I would also advise you to take a year off to prepare for the mcat after you graduate and please
Do not go to any offshore or carribean med school

don1
05-28-2017, 06:39 AM
I agree that you still have options for attending a North American medical school by doing well on you mcat and rebounding from this. You also need to present this as a positive when you interview. for example, I learned this about myself, and I made the following changes to prevent this from happening. etc. Life stuff happens when you are in medical school, residency, and in practice.

I would reserve going to an offshore medical school as last resort. Many of us have done it and are in the field we want to be in and practicing. Its not like you are gong to Alcatraz or something. If you end up deciding to go to an offshore medical school, you will likely do fine, but have to deal with the added expense, stigma, and challenge of getting into a competitive residency program/specialty.

You did right by withdrawing rather than risking a low gpa. Adcoms don't care how many withdrawals you have on your transcript nor how long it it took you to complete your degree. I wish I withdrew from classes I knew I was not going to do well in when I was in college... If you do well on the mcat you will not have any problem ...Do not rush , take your time and do it the right way. I would also advise you to take a year off to prepare for the mcat after you graduate and please
Do not go to any offshore or carribean med school

devildoc8404
05-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Now, my biggest fear is attending an off-shore medical school. Am I doomed? I am severely depressed, and lost. Seems as if I am falling and can't see the light of day. Everything is going negatively, to the point where I feel suicidal at times.

For the love of God, STOP WORRYING ABOUT MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Holy crap, please take a big step back and get your priorities straight. No, you are not doomed, but if you say that you are depressed and feel suicidal at times then you need to deal with that right the hell now. Literally nothing else takes priority over that, OK?

Your grades are bloody great. Your activities are lovely. Please believe me, none of that crap matters if you do not take care of yourself. Please do so right now. I am not there, I do not know you, and I cannot tell you what that will entail, but please seek direct help from a professional before you do anything else.

I dealt with emotional (PTSD, depression) challenges in medical school in the US and it ended up leading to me having to withdraw and finish overseas. So -- I am now a doctor in Switzerland, and it all worked out, but I will admit to you that I was very lucky. Very honestly, the process in the US nearly was my undoing. Dealing with depression and suicidal ideation is not the time to start the rigors of medical school.

Please, I urge you to listen to a voice of experience. Get some help right now, get into a better head space, and then decide what you are going to do with your life.

Right now, please.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.