PDA

View Full Version : Is there a med school that does not require Step 1 clinical rotations for USA?

tGgam
05-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Hey! I am an American and have attended a Caribbean med school and need to transfer out. I finished basic sciences and would like to do clerkship in USA. I have not passed USMLE step 1 (my NBME’s are 15 short of passing), but have no desire to practice in America, maybe in South America, the Caribbean or doctors without borders. Does anyone know of a med school I could transfer to anywhere in the world that does not require step 1 to do clinical core rotations in the USA, and that may accept my transfer credit from a school listed in the world directory ( I do not want to repeat basic sciences)? Thanks a lot!

Dr.Bell
05-09-2017, 08:45 AM
I may be wrong, but I do not think such a school exists. You may be able to find a school that will allow you to do your cores and elective clerkships in the Caribbean, but I am pretty sure most schools will require you to at least pass the NBME basic science comp and clinical science comp to graduate.

Have you thought about doing a review course and trying to pass the NBMEs/Step 1? Or transferring into a school that has a strong USMLE Step 1 prep and having another go at it?

all the best,
Dr. Bell

Summer2013
05-09-2017, 01:08 PM
This is an issue with the Hospital than the School. Some states are more strict. I know of schools who place students on Rotations with out STEP1. You can send me a PM if you like. I am just a student not affiliated or admin for any school.

tGgam
05-09-2017, 01:29 PM
This is an issue with the Hospital than the School. Some states are more strict. I know of schools who place students on Rotations with out STEP1. You can send me a PM if you like. I am just a student not affiliated or admin for any school.

I sent you a PM summer2013. Thank you!

tGgam
05-09-2017, 01:35 PM
I may be wrong, but I do not think such a school exists. You may be able to find a school that will allow you to do your cores and elective clerkships in the Caribbean, but I am pretty sure most schools will require you to at least pass the NBME basic science comp and clinical science comp to graduate.

Have you thought about doing a review course and trying to pass the NBMEs/Step 1? Or transferring into a school that has a strong USMLE Step 1 prep and having another go at it?

all the best,
Dr. Bell

Dear Dr. Bell:

Peace. Thank you for your reply. Actually, I had recently applied to your school as well, but I think you are correct, it would be good to study for the USMLE as well. Particularly , a program that has an excellent USMLE review course, for people who are having trouble passing. DO you know of one? One of my scores was 11 points from passing. I might try some new material. I have tried many of the Board review programs: Becker, PASS, Northwestern Review (sp). I also did Med School Tutors, and Memorang. I even did picmonic. I mean the scores are improving, but not passing yet. It has been a very long time of studying, but I have hope.

Summer2013
05-09-2017, 02:31 PM
I sent you a PM summer2013. Thank you!
I have replied to you. It all depends on what you are trying to do. I know some students who come from Africa and other countries and have no desire to practice in US. They can ask for STEP1 waiver and complete rotations in US Hospitals / Clinics and move back to their countries. It all depends on what you want to do. I have seen schools, hospitals which made exception to STEP1 / ECFMG and let the students complete their rotations.

tGgam
05-09-2017, 03:15 PM
I have replied to you. It all depends on what you are trying to do. I know some students who come from Africa and other countries and have no desire to practice in US. They can ask for STEP1 waiver and complete rotations in US Hospitals / Clinics and move back to their countries. It all depends on what you want to do. I have seen schools, hospitals which made exception to STEP1 / ECFMG and let the students complete their rotations.

Thank you for your reply. I have no desire to practice in the USA, but to work in the "Third-World" countries and to serve there. However, it would be good to take my clerkships/rotations in USA. I would do my qualifying exam in the "Third-World" country where I would serve.

Dr.Bell
05-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Dear Dr. Bell:

Peace. Thank you for your reply. Actually, I had recently applied to your school as well, but I think you are correct, it would be good to study for the USMLE as well. Particularly , a program that has an excellent USMLE review course, for people who are having trouble passing. DO you know of one? One of my scores was 11 points from passing. I might try some new material. I have tried many of the Board review programs: Becker, PASS, Northwestern Review (sp). I also did Med School Tutors, and Memorang. I even did picmonic. I mean the scores are improving, but not passing yet. It has been a very long time of studying, but I have hope.

Hi tGgam,

Well I think Trinity has a pretty great program :) I would love to chat with you more about your options. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email!

All the best,
Dr. Bell

04-18-2018, 09:57 AM
I sent you a pm summer2013.thank you!

Summer2013
04-18-2018, 10:22 AM
I replied to your message. I sent you my email address. Feel free to contact me and I can help you.

Summer2013
04-18-2018, 10:23 AM
I sent you a pm summer2013.thank you!

I replied to your message. I sent you my email address. Feel free to contact me and I can help you.

danielpaul
07-29-2018, 12:48 AM

Smoochy1
08-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Hey! I am an American and have attended a Caribbean med school and need to transfer out. I finished basic sciences and would like to do clerkship in USA. I have not passed USMLE step 1 (my NBME’s are 15 short of passing), but have no desire to practice in America, maybe in South America, the Caribbean or doctors without borders. Does anyone know of a med school I could transfer to anywhere in the world that does not require step 1 to do clinical core rotations in the USA, and that may accept my transfer credit from a school listed in the world directory ( I do not want to repeat basic sciences)? Thanks a lot!

Yes American International School of Medicine will help you. In fact they will (as they did for me) send you to a one on one USMLE review program which was awesome. I took the step after failing the first time and scored a 234....now in cores. Private me for details if you wish.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.