PDA

View Full Version : Dismissed from Medical School. Have questions including about Dean's letter.

Oblivion424
12-12-2016, 04:54 PM
I was dismissed from a US MD school. I was passing all my classes. I am currently applying both to Caribbean medical schools and foreign medical schools.

My question is what will be included in a dean's letter? I'm scared to death this is the end of my future in medicine. how will caribbean medical schools look at this? I'm absolutely horrified and biting my nails because all it took was one quick decision and everything I did was gone. I also welcome any other advice from anyone who has been through this and made it to a Caribbean.

Finally, since I was dismissed how much am I limited in terms of residency and speciality options? I really wanted to do emergency medicine so I hope that's not impossible.

leadsled
12-12-2016, 08:05 PM
There are so many factors involved in getting a residency in the US as a foreign medical school graduate (FMG). 1. Very competitive. 2. No guarantees!
How far into US medical school were you? Are you planning on transferring coursework or starting afresh? Have you taken any of the USMLE exams?

As far as the "end of my future in medicine" never let anyone make that decision for you! I originally was accepted to a foreign med school but decided to go the mid level track. No regrets! I hold a DEA license, prescribe, do procedures and now "practice medicine" in the USA and have no debt! Please explore and exhaust all your options in the USA first! Unfortunately, I have written a few letter of recommendations for FMG's to enter US PA, NP, SA school because they were unable to secure a residency and they decided to start all over again. PM me if you like.

Oblivion424
12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
There are so many factors involved in getting a residency in the US as a foreign medical school graduate (FMG). 1. Very competitive. 2. No guarantees!
How far into US medical school were you? Are you planning on transferring coursework or starting afresh? Have you taken any of the USMLE exams?

As far as the "end of my future in medicine" never let anyone make that decision for you! I originally was accepted to a foreign med school but decided to go the mid level track. No regrets! I hold a DEA license, prescribe, do procedures and now "practice medicine" in the USA and have no debt! Please explore and exhaust all your options in the USA first! Unfortunately, I have written a few letter of recommendations for FMG's to enter US PA, NP, SA school because they were unable to secure a residency and they decided to start all over again. PM me if you like.

Ty for your reply. I haven't taken any USMLE exams, and I wasn't very far in. I'm still considered a transfer though.

I am not giving up on medicine or medical school. I'm just so worried after what happened.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.