PDA

View Full Version : The truth

WePutInWork1
10-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Ok guys...time for some real talk. I understand many people have different opinions of what the "ideal" caribbean medical school should be like, and lets be honest, the expectations arent so high. Majority of us go to rock schools because its cheap and you dont need to do well in undergrad/mcat to get accepted (some b/c their parents forced them but thats another story!). Obviously everyone knows that with cheap tuition and easy acceptance comes a catch. That catch is usually the quality of teachers provided. With better teaching comes better salaries, better salaries equates to high tuition for you (although transfers from AUA/Ross have told me, despite triple the tuition, the teachers were not much better or equivalent to CMU). As i passively observed some of the students i noticed a common trend that lacked accountability. Student parties 3/4X a week--> crams before every exam/quiz--->criticizes/blames poor teaching ---> repeat. Majority of said students cant even pass a NBME then come on forums and blame CMU for being a crappy school. Its seriously so pathetic, im sorry. I knew CMU(or any rock school in that matter) wasnt going to give me everything i need to do well on my boards. Only I have control over my actions. I studied 6x per week using heavy textbooks and the wonderful world wide web, took Satuday nights off to enjoy a drink or 7, then went right back to work. I am forever grateful that CMU gave me an OPPORTUNITY, and i took full advantage, receiving a 254 on step 1. I will be applying for the March 2018 match and God Willing will have a job the following summer. Bottom line, if you're the kind of student that expects your school (Caribbean or US) to spoon feed you info and put in half the effort towards your success, please save your money and quit now. However, if you are truly willing to put in the time and effort to become a practicing physician in the United States throw me a message and ill answer any questions or concerns about choosing CMU. God bless :D

axiomofchoice
10-03-2016, 03:11 PM
if you are truly willing to put in the time and effort to become a practicing physician in the United States throw me a message and ill answer any questions or concerns about choosing CMU. God bless :D

Just FYI, the only thing you can offer answers to is going to a caribbean school, passing basic sciences and getting a good USMLE score - becoming a practicing physician in the US is a little down the road wouldn't you say....

WePutInWork1
10-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Yes, in some minds studying in med school, taking boards, and applying for match/practicing are all separate equations. However with a broad, complex mentality, approaching these subjects in the same manner (having a common denominator if u will) usually results in a higher success rate, elevated confidence, and lower stress levels, all of which are necessary to do well at any stage of medicine. I guess this is where a business mind comes into play by using the same core conceptual strategy for success no matter what obstacle is in front of you. Sorry for ranting :) just trying to help broaden some horizons.

Baju12
10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I recently got accepted to CMU and am trying to decide between here and Avalon. The reviews here have been pretty negative on CMU but they seem to be getting their affairs in order. How would you rate it honestly in terms of facilitating the student to do their best?
Also does CMU have a bridge curriculum in prep for Step 1?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.