PDA

View Full Version : Transferring of MBBS student to American

UmerSiiD
08-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Hello,
I am currently enrolled for first year MBBS course at Gulf Medical University in Ajman, UAE. I wanted to know what will be the process if I want to transfer to an American or Canadian medical university to complete my clinical years.
Is it required to sit for any special tests like USMLE or MCAT?
Thankyou

Torontomed
08-04-2016, 08:20 AM
North American schools don't accept transfer students. You'll hear rare cases of people with extraordinarily high step 1 transferring to a US school, but i wouldn't hold my breath. Canada doesn't take transfer students, period.
North American schools also want prerequisites to be done in Canada/USA. If you're willing to take the MCAT, and do a couple of years of pre-req courses in Canada/USA, you can then apply to US MD/DO schools.

Hope that helps!

medmatchplus1
08-06-2016, 12:47 PM
I'd have to agree with Torontomed; I can't think of any instances that I've heard people transferring into an American/Canadian school. I'm sure a very few exceptions have happened, but for the most part it doesn't happen. One additional way is to finish medical school in your parent country and apply for a residency here in the US/Canada. Residency is extremely competitive, but with lots of hard work on USMLE exams and good LoR, it is definitely far from impossible.

Medmatchplus+

Torontomed
08-06-2016, 02:22 PM
I'd have to agree with Torontomed; I can't think of any instances that I've heard people transferring into an American/Canadian school. I'm sure a very few exceptions have happened, but for the most part it doesn't happen. One additional way is to finish medical school in your parent country and apply for a residency here in the US/Canada. Residency is extremely competitive, but with lots of hard work on USMLE exams and good LoR, it is definitely far from impossible.

Medmatchplus+

While i agree with all of this, i just wanted to clarify the bolded.
You can't apply to Canada for residency if you're not a permanent resident/citizen of Canada. If OP doesn't hold either, then he/she is ineligible from applying to a Canadian residency. It's a strict law and there's no ifs or buts about it. US on the other hand is open to non US citizens.

axiomofchoice
08-10-2016, 08:31 AM
US medical schools do take transfer students. However, I believe US citizenship is a requirement for a transfer entry.

Tipton
08-11-2016, 02:07 AM
LECOM used to take one or two transfers per year. Stopped a while back, I think. Either AAMC or LCME had a breakdown of how/if US med schools would accept transfers between them and other US med schools: usually for family/medical reasons and only after basic sciences.

devildoc8404
08-11-2016, 02:03 PM
The list of US medical schools that will accept a foreign medical school transfer student is extremely short, and shrinking. In addition, they will require an undergraduate degree (BSc or BA) from a US/Canadian university, strong MCAT scores (which is why people who are able to transfer in from a foreign school are usually from Carib schools and were borderline candidates at US schools the first time around), and a high USMLE Step One score. Even with these credentials, the chances are pretty damn slim and the numbers depend on retention in the few schools that are willing to accept a transfer student in the first place. (Overall student retention at US medical schools is, obviously, quite high.)

With that said, it is probably not going to be possible to transfer in from a medical school in the Middle East, unless that school follows the North American model of requiring a North American undergrad degree (and MCAT) before matriculation. Even in that unlikely event, it's not something I would bet the farm on. It is just the nature of the American medical education beast.

US medical schools do take transfer students. However, I believe US citizenship is a requirement for a transfer entry.

foodadd
08-14-2016, 11:58 PM
agree with Torontomed

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.