PDA

View Full Version : Semmelweis University Q/A - ask me freely!

phenyleeleenine
07-27-2016, 02:57 AM

Ahmed El Sayed
09-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Hey guys,

I've been accepted for early acceptance to Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary. I start 2017 and you guys can ask me any questions regarding the school/entrance exam!

I'll be visiting Budapest from the 15th of August to the 19th, I'll make sure to give you guys some more pics and info about the school and around Budapest and how it seems as a city :)

Also I am graduating high school next year and I take the IB Diploma.

Ask away!!
:D
I am graduating high school this year from UAE and I wanted to attend Semmelweis Uni and become a doctor. However, I am very worried about the entrance exam and whether Semmelweis Uni is the best Uni in Hungary to attend. So please walk me through everything you went through. FYI, I am in an American Curriculum.
Thanks,

phenyleeleenine
09-11-2016, 06:49 AM
L.................

Ahmed El Sayed
09-11-2016, 02:59 PM
I took my entrance exam in May this year, and I got 97% overall. As of now I have received a non-conditional offer to start the 6-year English M.D. programme in September 2017, so if you are successful then we will be in the same year�� Sadly, Semmelweis do not offer any more non-conditional offers a year early due to changes in admission.

The written exam is divided into 3 parts:
– Biology
– Chemistry
– English
– Medical English
– Basic motivation letter
English and Medical English are in the same exam paper.

The biology exam was one of the easier ones for me, as I LOVE bio! It was based around human physiology, DNA, and respiration. Plant biology was still included (I think about 2 questions) but it was not very emphasised.
Chemistry was much more difficult, however still relatively easy compared to IB level chemistry. I’m not so sure about A levels, but if you take advanced chemistry it will be about that level I think. Organic chemistry was emphasised, and also calculating percentage mass of chemicals in a compound. Kinetics and energetics only had 1 question. You should know your basic stoichiometric rules, and also periodicity.
English is extremely easy if you are a first-language speaker. It tests your basic grammar; I think you will be able to pass this extremely easily��
Medical English required a little more memorisation on my part. I looked up lists of medical english online, and I made up a fairly exhaustive list.
At the end of the english part of the exam, you will find a sheet of paper with a single question on it.
Why do you want to become a doctor?. Write in 200 words or less.
This is a basic motivation letter. When you apply, you need a motivation letter as part of your application documents. If you write a summary of your motivation letter given in during application, then that should be fine.

You can download past papers here and use them at the end of your studies. The exam for me had slightly different focus points than the sample papers, however they still work as a great summary study tool!
www[dot]studyhungary.hu/pages.php?pageID=35

The oral exam depends on how you did in the written exam. If you scored high in the written exam, you will be asked about a difficult topic. If you scored low, you will be asked about an easier topic. It depends on every person, but the interview can vary from being very informal to very formal. You can get up to 5 professors interviewing you from behind the desk, or you can get a single professor who sits next to you and is very comfortable. This all depends on luck; however if you score high professors will want to interview you on their own – the higher likelihood of you getting a less formal interview. The fact that is is less formal does not make it easier; but you will be less nervous and hence will be able to answer much more comfortably.

The oral exam has a funnel-type procedure, so you start by explaining a big topic such as digestion as a whole, and then the professor will ask you about something in the digestive system, and you will gradually get more microscopic and the professor will keep asking you questions until you are unable to answer. When you are unable to answer, the professor will not take marks off your oral exam, but will ask questions and give you hints that will lead you to the correct/logical answer. I was given a question about water, and basically the professor kept asking me about mRNA sequencing (which I had completely forgotten about!) until I made up a logical answer. When I answered, he smiled and said that I had done well, and that I would be hearing back from the university definitely. The professor does not want to see how much information you know, he wants to see if you are willing to build your knowledge and if you are able to logically form answers. If you are willing to change your answers depending on the tips that the professor gives you, the higher the chance you will have of being in favour for admission.

As I haven’t started attending the university, I think it is too early for me to start forming opinions of the lessons/professors at the university. However this is a brief summary of what some of my contacts at the university have said.

Semmelweis is extremely difficult, and if you do not have the motivation to become the best doctor, you will not make it through 1st and 2nd year. Semmelweis University makes the best doctors. Proof is in the pre-clinical programmes. 1st and 2nd year at Semmelweis is basically so tough, 4 years of human anatomy, chemistry, physics major all squished into two years makes it difficult. The amount of detail in the anatomy is ridiculous, as most of it you will not need in the process of training to be a doctor. However, people who are truly interested in the human body, and curing people will willingly go into so much more detail to become a better doctor.

Semmelweis University exams are hard. Exam period is basically every week, no rests! Mainly oral exams for anatomy. Professors will try to make the first two years of university impossible for you. However after the first two years, 3456, they will respect you and try to train you to be the best doctor that you can be. They will make you extend beyond your comfort zones.

Some people say that Semmelweis students have much less time for enjoying the city. This is untrue. Yes, it is always exam period. Yes, it is more intense than other universities. But in the end it all comes down to your own planning. If you plan well, then you will have more than enough time to drink, eat out, take a night off.

Hope this information helped! :)

-Phenyleeleenine
Thanks for all of your help Phenyleeleenine. You really did walk me through every step. I really appreciate it. Really, Thank you.

anaya
09-14-2016, 02:41 AM
I am graduating high school this year from UAE and I wanted to attend Semmelweis Uni and become a doctor. However, I am very worried about the entrance exam and whether Semmelweis Uni is the best Uni in Hungary to attend. So please walk me through everything you went through. FYI, I am in an American Curriculum.
Thanks,

hey ahmed ... i live in UAE as well and thought of applying to hungarian medical schools.. i applied for debrecen as well and i also want to keep other options open o i want to apply to more than one university on the safer side...i study brithish curiculum not american :P so we can apply together as i dont kno when to apply from UAE as well for Semmelweis university ?

Ahmed El Sayed
09-16-2016, 05:47 AM
hey ahmed ... i live in UAE as well and thought of applying to hungarian medical schools.. i applied for debrecen as well and i also want to keep other options open o i want to apply to more than one university on the safer side...i study brithish curiculum not american :P so we can apply together as i dont kno when to apply from UAE as well for Semmelweis university ?

For Semmelweis Uni, you can know everything from a website. Just google study in Hungary and it would be the first website on the page. I am sorry but I cant put the website here, it is not allowed. I live in Al Ain. If you need any help tell me I'll give some info to contact me from.

Cortney1111
01-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Hi there
Could you please share your experience at Semmelweis ( as i think you’re in second year there )

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.