PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of IUHS

salahm
05-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Pros
1) No need to attend actual lectures so that you can work full time.
2) Expenses are far more less than other Caribbean school because you don't physically have to be there. No extra living expenses
3) Some of the lecturers are awesome.
4) You can attend your video lectures in your pajama.

Cons
1) Most of the states don't recognize IUHS Graduates. The rest doesn't favor them either. You will get residency if you are so lucky.
2) During the clinical rotation, you won't learn that much. (this could be for all Caribbean schools I suppose)
3) Their USMLE pass rate is questionable. They mention higher than US based school average. In reality, they will sponsor(pay) only best students for USMLE. If the class size is 10, they will sponsor the best two students for USMLE exam and when they pass, the percentage on their website shows 98%. How about the rest they never sponsor (pay)? Those students can write USMLE themselves. IUHS doesn't count their failure or pass. Most students didn't pass. So you can only see highest digits on their web.
4) The communication is horrible. They rarely respond emails from students and rarely help students if even the problem is on their side.

You can give it try but I won't recommend anyone. It could be waste of money and time if you don't get residency.

aimu observer
05-17-2016, 07:54 AM
salalm

I have no doubt at all that you are speaking the truth, but it seems you MUST NOT EVER tell the truth on valuemd. No really one listens.
How do I know? Well over the last 10 years the number of offshore schools have more than doubled.
I actually taught at IUHS in St Kitts years ago. In those days there were a few teachers and students on the island but the vast number of students were online.
They were taught all the 8 modules by a single man. He oftn did not turn up and students would drive miles from work to their homes in vain for their lectures

A man called georgiegporgie exposed them on the now obsolete site Guide to Foreign Medical Schools that preceeded valueMd, and many of the online students quit.
Eventually, before they folded on the island thy had a "President" running things on the island. He was said to have graduated from some strange medical school but was not really a doctor as he had not passed the steps or done a residency. This did not stop him from joining up with the IUHS lawyer on the island to start his own school on the island . This did not last very long, however.

Some how out of the ruins of a failed IUHS of the early 2000's has emerged what seemed to be a better solution.
However, you have been honest or disappointed enough to tell the truth here, and you must be commended for doing so.

But few will take heed. Too many folk think that being a doctor is glamorous, and many will continue to be fleeced by offshore schools and online schools like IUHS.
Few will learn from your misfortune.
Many of your class mates will rush here to make you out to be a whiner, or a villian. You will find this type of delusion on all of these fora.

daveolds911
07-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Any IUHS students or graduates in western Washington State ?
I'll buy lunch to be able to talk with you.
Or, in keeping with the online pre-clinical philosophy of IUHS, we could also Skype !
Thanks,
Take care,
daveolds911

Med grad
07-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Or, in keeping with the online pre-clinical philosophy of IUHS, we could also Skype !
Thanks,
Take care,
daveolds911

This is my advice: Save yourself a lot of headache and just call the Washington Medical Board. If you are from Washington that state won't accept your basic sciences if taken online. Simply stated: No license in Washington.

Washington is not a difficult state for IMG's unless you went to an online school. That should end the matter for you right there. If you are considering any online or distant medical school program, you should first talk to the licensing bodies in the state(s) you might be interested.

And you don't have to buy me lunch!

stephaniea44
12-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Great university, provide you with great knowledge and gives everything you need.

daveolds911
01-26-2018, 12:50 AM
This is my advice: Save yourself a lot of headache and just call the Washington Medical Board. If you are from Washington that state won't accept your basic sciences if taken online. Simply stated: No license in Washington.

Washington is not a difficult state for IMG's unless you went to an online school. That should end the matter for you right there. If you are considering any online or distant medical school program, you should first talk to the licensing bodies in the state(s) you might be interested.

========
Well, I'm a little late(r) by a year and a half !
My situation is quite a bit more complicated, as I'm not looking to be licensed in any particular state, or go through a residency, and I've already been through the Basic Science courses. Plus, I could tell you horror stories about Washington State bureaucracies....
So if you're still around, "Med grad", let me know how to contact you.
Thanks.

leadsled
01-26-2018, 08:45 AM
========
Well, I'm a little late(r) by a year and a half !
My situation is quite a bit more complicated, as I'm not looking to be licensed in any particular state, or go through a residency, and I've already been through the Basic Science courses. Plus, I could tell you horror stories about Washington State bureaucracies....
So if you're still around, "Med grad", let me know how to contact you.
Thanks.

Any Pros and Cons on USAT other than they don't appear to have a thread on ValueMD?

U.S.A.T – University of Science, Art and Technology (http://usat.edu/)

Atlantoaxial
02-21-2018, 11:48 AM
They seem to have a few residents.
Like IUHS...some are able to get a spot. But very few.
I'm more concerned about the bad apples those kind of schools produce

Omudia11
01-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Wow....Thanks for this valuable information. I am currently enrolled but I guess I'll have to look for an alternative now.
By the way, do you any good carribean medical schools i could go to that are not too expensive?
salalm

I have no doubt at all that you are speaking the truth, but it seems you MUST NOT EVER tell the truth on valuemd. No really one listens.
How do I know? Well over the last 10 years the number of offshore schools have more than doubled.
I actually taught at IUHS in St Kitts years ago. In those days there were a few teachers and students on the island but the vast number of students were online.
They were taught all the 8 modules by a single man. He oftn did not turn up and students would drive miles from work to their homes in vain for their lectures

A man called georgiegporgie exposed them on the now obsolete site Guide to Foreign Medical Schools that preceeded valueMd, and many of the online students quit.
Eventually, before they folded on the island thy had a "President" running things on the island. He was said to have graduated from some strange medical school but was not really a doctor as he had not passed the steps or done a residency. This did not stop him from joining up with the IUHS lawyer on the island to start his own school on the island . This did not last very long, however.

Some how out of the ruins of a failed IUHS of the early 2000's has emerged what seemed to be a better solution.
However, you have been honest or disappointed enough to tell the truth here, and you must be commended for doing so.

But few will take heed. Too many folk think that being a doctor is glamorous, and many will continue to be fleeced by offshore schools and online schools like IUHS.
Many of your class mates will rush here to make you out to be a whiner, or a villian. You will find this type of delusion on all of these fora.

Omudia11
01-07-2019, 07:57 PM
I am currently enrolled at
IUHS. Please can I get your contact details so or your email if you dont mind. Would like to ask you a few questions.
salalm

Omudia11
01-07-2019, 07:58 PM
I tried adding you on Skype with that username but to no avail.
But can I have your contact details or your email?
Thanks,
Take care,
daveolds911

Omudia11
01-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Can I have your email please?

Atlantoaxial
01-09-2019, 03:47 PM
No accreditation for 2022.
End of the story.

Omudia11
01-09-2019, 05:33 PM
How do you know this?
No accreditation for 2022.
End of the story.

Atlantichater
01-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Why didn't you do your due diligence and research the school before enrolling?????? Go to the CAAM-HP website and search for the assessed medical programs. They're not listed. You can't even apply for the USMLE via ECFMG because you'll be taking your USMLE Step 1 in 2021 and they're not CAAM-HP accredited yet. Since there's no CAAM-HP certification, you're shut out of ECFMG. You just wasted your money this semester. It's even more doubtful you can transfer credits from a non-accredited caribbean program to an accredited one. ECFMG looks to certify credits only from accredited medical schools. You gotta start over. Sorry bud.

Omudia11
01-09-2019, 11:06 PM
Jesus Christ.
That looks really bad. But I've just contacted two people who said they know one or two people who graduated from IUHS and are now working in the states. I just don't know what to do now and I have limited funds. Do you happen to know of any cheap carribean schools?
Why didn't you do your due diligence and research the school before enrolling?????? Go to the CAAM-HP website and search for the assessed medical programs. They're not listed. You can't even apply for the USMLE via ECFMG because you'll be taking your USMLE Step 1 in 2021 and they're not CAAM-HP accredited yet. Since there's no CAAM-HP certification, you're shut out of ECFMG. You just wasted your money this semester. It's even more doubtful you can transfer credits from a non-accredited caribbean program to an accredited one. ECFMG looks to certify credits only from accredited medical schools. You gotta start over. Sorry bud.

Atlantichater
01-10-2019, 06:23 AM
You are a grown adult. That's why there's Google. You can pull up all of the caribbean schools, find out the one's that are CAAM-HP accredited, and see their tuition costs from their websites. Why do you keep asking others for help?

You're beginning to sound like a kid. No one is going to help you. Pull yourself out of your own hole.

cakepops
01-10-2019, 07:46 PM
@omudia11 https://www.caam-hp.org/programs
Accredited Schools – ACCM (http://www.accredmed.org/accredited-schools/)

Med grad
01-10-2019, 08:46 PM
The ECFMG's new rule regarding accreditation will come into effect in 2023. https://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html

This applies to all schools' world-wide. If you graduate before that date, you would be able to take the exams and apply for certification. But students graduating after 2023 and attending schools that don't have acceptable accreditation will be shut out from the US. This has been published for several years now and is not an overnight rule change.

People who don't do their due diligence have only themselves to blame. I doubt the Caribbean system, as it is now, could even survive because so many of the schools out there are not accredited and would lose their pipeline access to US students. However, these schools continue to accept students, and it's up to each student to screen the school(s) he/she is considering.

This issue has been discussed on this forum many times before but prospective students don't listen!

dr.k123
01-11-2019, 02:25 AM
good job keep posting like this please

Doc Mobile
01-11-2019, 10:04 AM
The ECFMG's new rule regarding accreditation will come into effect in 2023. https://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html

This applies to all schools' world-wide. If you graduate before that date, you would be able to take the exams and apply for certification. But students graduating after 2023 and attending schools that don't have acceptable accreditation will be shut out from the US. This has been published for several years now and is not an overnight rule change.

People who don't do their due diligence have only themselves to blame. I doubt the Caribbean system, as it is now, could even survive because so many of the schools out there are not accredited and would lose their pipeline access to US students. However, these schools continue to accept students, and it's up to each student to screen the school(s) he/she is considering.

This issue has been discussed on this forum many times before but prospective students don't listen!

That’s what I’ve been saying here for a long time; either finish your Caribbean non-CAAM-HP accredited program before 2023 (4 years away), or go to a school that has acceptable accreditation. End of story, nothing complicated here. ECFMG is not disapproving Carib schools before that date for that reason alone. They are the gateway to US medical practice, once certified, you can forget they even exist.

Atlantoaxial
01-11-2019, 05:55 PM
I've just contacted two people who said they know one or two people who graduated from IUHS and are now working in the states.

Let's be rational: you know people who know 1 or 2 people from IUHS who are now working in the US....
It's anecdotal. Physicians and scientists don't rely on anecdotes.

So if I get you, 1 or 2 people practicing in the US is a good bet for you? It worth the time and money you are spending in that dead end?

Not to mention....IUHS was a brick and mortar med school many years ago. Thus it's true a few people achieved to get a spot in the US. And some may pop on Google.

Look, a few guys on this forum over the last years did cheerleading for IUHS. But they were on their 1rst or 2nd term. After that: radio silence.

C'mon, not only they do not answer to emails but also their website has not been updated since years....

leadsled
01-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Let's be rational: you know people who know 1 or 2 people from IUHS who are now working in the US....
It's anecdotal. Physicians and scientists don't rely on anecdotes.

So if I get you, 1 or 2 people practicing in the US is a good bet for you? It worth the time and money you are spending in that dead end?

Not to mention....IUHS was a brick and mortar med school many years ago. Thus it's true a few people achieved to get a spot in the US. And some may pop on Google.

Look, a few guys on this forum over the last years did cheerleading for IUHS. But they were on their 1rst or 2nd term. After that: radio silence.

C'mon, not only they do not answer to emails but also their website has not been updated since years....

I found one but I agree, if your goal is to become US licensed, not the most promising decision!
https://health.usnews.com/doctors/garth-adkins-934622

Apparently, MD's are a dime a dozen, it's the few residency positions available that is discouraging.

Doc Mobile
01-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Pros
1) No need to attend actual lectures so that you can work full time.
2) Expenses are far more less than other Caribbean school because you don't physically have to be there. No extra living expenses
3) Some of the lecturers are awesome.
4) You can attend your video lectures in your pajama.

Cons
1) Most of the states don't recognize IUHS Graduates. The rest doesn't favor them either. You will get residency if you are so lucky.
2) During the clinical rotation, you won't learn that much. (this could be for all Caribbean schools I suppose)
3) Their USMLE pass rate is questionable. They mention higher than US based school average. In reality, they will sponsor(pay) only best students for USMLE. If the class size is 10, they will sponsor the best two students for USMLE exam and when they pass, the percentage on their website shows 98%. How about the rest they never sponsor (pay)? Those students can write USMLE themselves. IUHS doesn't count their failure or pass. Most students didn't pass. So you can only see highest digits on their web.
4) The communication is horrible. They rarely respond emails from students and rarely help students if even the problem is on their side.

You can give it try but I won't recommend anyone. It could be waste of money and time if you don't get residency.
It sounds very inviting, but how many grads have achieved ECFMG certification? That’s what’s not told here, can be found online elsewhere. Any worthwhile school that’s been around 10 years or more should have a double digit if not triple digit representation in that area. If not, “What’s wrong with this picture.” Check it out!

jackylouwe
03-02-2019, 04:38 PM
The above comments about IUHS communication bad is NOT TRUE. I've been intouch with the Admin department(Mrs Paige Stewart) and Finance dept (Mr Walton) there and they readily respond and call back. You just gotta show you're serious and they stay on point.

Regarding Rotations that one wont learn much I also DOUBT this statement because they have rotation sites in Atlanta and other states and why would you not learn much in an Atlanta, Chicago etc hospital exposure?

Regarding Residency hard to get well I'm not convinced because if you get good scores in your USMLE exams you're golden.

Regarding the sponsorship for USMLE exams well I suggest you not depend on sponsorship and just pay your own fees avoid loans and accumulating student loans, I mean this Medschool allows you to KEEP your job while studying. These exams are about $1500 so save up and pay up. I don't think the Medschool will sponsor that anyway.

Atlantoaxial
03-02-2019, 10:59 PM
The above comments about IUHS communication bad is NOT TRUE. I've been intouch with the Admin department(Mrs Paige Stewart) and Finance dept (Mr Walton) there and they readily respond and call back.

And this is your first post?
....strange :confused:

Regarding Rotations that one wont learn much I also DOUBT this statement because they have rotation sites in Atlanta and other states and why would you not learn much in an Atlanta, Chicago etc hospital exposure?

Where's the list of such affiliations? Can you provide us with a link?
There was a list of their affiliated hospitals many years ago (Mexico, PR...).
But it seems they removed that webpage. Why?

Regarding Residency hard to get well I'm not convinced because if you get good scores in your USMLE exams you're golden.

You are golden....till they understand you never put a foot in a med school and you did all online.

How many certified physicians from IUHS-online in the US? 1, 2 or 3?

dark_sun
03-26-2019, 03:08 AM
Interesting. Thank you very much for the information.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.