PDA

View Full Version : FMG/IMG TRANSFER to AMG?? Help quick please!!

Rachelll
04-21-2016, 03:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I am a US CITIZEN studying in 3RD MBBS in India. I came to medical school straight from high school and therefore do NOT have an undergraduate education (ie. Bachelor's Degree).

I have the opportunity to apply for a transfer to a US MD School OR DO school OR Caribbean school hopefully for my 3rd and 4th year however this is only IF i take the USMLE Step 1.

Obviously as of now I will be an FMG/IMG (with a US citizenship) and therefore will have a more difficult time matching as opposed to AMGs (unless I transfer, that is).

Here is MY PROBLEM:
I have between now (April 21) and October to study for the USMLE Step 1 and score around a 230 (enough for me to be recognized as a transfer applicant), and between that I have four [semi-important] exams to give relating to medical school (basically, I am on crunch time). I took the 7 week Kaplan course in Feb/March but I am not sure if I will be ready by October to take the USMLE, and I don't want to risk failing just for an ATTEMPT to transfer.

Here is MY QUESTION:
Should I take the USMLE this October (and push through the probably agonizing 6 months ahead of me) (the following step would be to apply for a transfer and hopefully get in and become an AMG), or should I wait till after my internship (in 3 years, as the exam gets harder) to feel more confident about steps (in this case I would be an FMG/IMG searching for residency in America).

Other important things to note:
1. I am 19 years old (since I went to med school straight from high school), so time is not that much of a concern for me.
2. I am applying for transfer because A) it will make me an AMG and give me a much better chance of matching and B) I have some connections that can help in the process.

I would really appreciate some advice as I am very confused (making major life decisions is scary:scared:) and have no idea what to do!!
Thank you so much :)

Tipton
04-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Rachelll - odds are slim to none that any US school would accept a transfer. Normally the only transfers they accept are from other US schools and for extreme circumstances (sick relative...etc.). If you are already on track to do well on Step 1 that should be your main priority. And if you know of alumni of your school who are practicing in the US, they would be an ideal source of info on how they successfully made that transition. There may be a handful of international med schools who could / would accept you as a transfer after passing Step 1. However they tend to be schools driven more by the profit you would provide them as a student rather than the quality of education they can provide you can expect in return. Not that you should necessarily rule that option out if you are confident they can help you match. There are reputable agencies / companies who cater to IMGs coming into the US to provide clinical experience after you graduate from med school and are working on the match. I think this may be a better option than transferring.

Gasman2016
04-22-2016, 07:19 PM
NO U.S. medical school will accept you without an undergraduate degree. This is a pre-req. Also, most states will NOT license you without a minimum of 60 credits and sometimes a Bachelor degree from a US University. Soooooo, I would rethink EVERYTHING you are doing right now.

Also, I went through the transfer process. It is tough, but possible. In the end I decided it was not worth it, and at this point in my career I believe I was right. I have commented on this before if you want to see my other posts.

Also, you should be able to score a 240+ on STEP1 with 6 months of studying. I scored a 99 with 6 weeks of studying. Most US students score 230-260 with 3 weeks of studying. If you take more than 2 months off to study, this will be frowned upon for residency application, no matter how well you did.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.