PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Shot at Carib with Unfinished Undergrad Degree + High MCAT. Want to Go Now

IWANNAGOTROPICAL
03-30-2016, 05:31 PM
As a Canadian student in their 3rd year of undergrad with an absolutely abysmal GPA (we're talking borderline 2.0). Some A's in first year and in last half of 3rd year. With a MCAT score in the 95th percentile is there any chance at carib if I apply to literally every single MD med school in Latin America without finishing my undergrad degree? Half-decent ECs (worked with disabled children for a year and involvement in the Olympic games).

That has to be close to 100 carib schools if not more. With those stats my question is; Will I be accepted and start medical school by 2017 in any school in the caribbean. I don't care if I'll have a half-assed or even quarter-assed chance at getting any chance at a residency spot offer in the US.

Also, I have no interest in attending med school in Canada, US, DO. That would require AT LEAST 3 more years of correcting my poor undergrad performance and add more debt to my shoulders. My question pertains to getting in as soon as possible.

aimu observer
03-30-2016, 06:40 PM
anyone can get in a Carribbean school Sir---------- once you can pay the fees
at some you dont even have to pass the exams
one owner says we will weed them out at step 1
at another school the teachers dont even know the results of the exams they set
at this same school the registrar even changes the grades
im talking from first hand experience, but I wont call any names

IWANNAGOTROPICAL
03-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Do they take their fee payments up front or halfway through the semester?

aimu observer
03-31-2016, 07:09 AM
UP FRONT sIR
....UP FRONT
OFFSHORE CARRIBEAN SCHOOLS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY..........DINERO .....CASH

aimu observer
03-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Aaims in jamaica took the money from six students in 2011 &2012

none of this first group got close to passing usmle

i of 5 in the second batch did

five years and counting.............no one in residency

but they say they are the premier med school in jamaica

devildoc8404
03-31-2016, 07:33 AM
You will easily find a bevy of (lower tier) Carib schools lining up to take your tuition. The question is whether or not you will find a job after graduation -- and whether or not these schools have international accreditation (or will even remain open for the duration of study).

Another option could be studying in E-EU, which at least offers an EU medical diploma. As a Canadian citizen you might be able to swing Irish (or maybe even UK) residency training with an EU diploma and Commonwealth passport. The subsequent chances in North America are still relatively intact, especially if you do some summer clinical rotations in the US (or can swing getting into a school that offers US clinical rotations). This option is still fraught with headaches, problems, and annoyances, but it works for some people. If you have an EU passport, or familial claim to one, then this option could be worth special consideration.

mahraja786
03-31-2016, 10:12 AM
As a Canadian student in their 3rd year of undergrad with an absolutely abysmal GPA (we're talking borderline 2.0). Some A's in first year and in last half of 3rd year. With a MCAT score in the 95th percentile is there any chance at carib if I apply to literally every single MD med school in Latin America without finishing my undergrad degree? Half-decent ECs (worked with disabled children for a year and involvement in the Olympic games).

That has to be close to 100 carib schools if not more. With those stats my question is; Will I be accepted and start medical school by 2017 in any school in the caribbean. I don't care if I'll have a half-assed or even quarter-assed chance at getting any chance at a residency spot offer in the US.

Also, I have no interest in attending med school in Canada, US, DO. That would require AT LEAST 3 more years of correcting my poor undergrad performance and add more debt to my shoulders. My question pertains to getting in as soon as possible.

Its a $200,000 gamble with foreign schools. A big burden to carry if you can't pay it off. The problem is not getting into a foreign medical school, they love $$$. But always try to play the odds so make sure you go to a place where you will get the best chance to succeed afterwards.

don1
03-31-2016, 10:56 AM
be careful of what you as for. I'm sure you can get in somewhere. I must say that your game plan has some major flaws in it. I agree that you changes of getting into a Canadian medical school are near zero without several years of excellent grades. But at least I would complete your undergrad. I am a resident and have gone through the process. I also have friends that did not fair well in medical school. You might think that getting into medical school is the answer, but you may be very depressed and more in dept if you start medical school and fail out/can't pass step 1, or can't match into residency. that is a very real possibility when you have poor academic performance and go to an off shore medical school.

Paleo2015
03-31-2016, 12:52 PM

If I were you and wanted to embark in this journey now I would start by asking myself where would I want to practice after graduating from med school. Then I would look at all med schools I'm interested in and see if their graduates are matching in the country I want to practice.

Then I would choose the ones that are well respected and start making inquires directly to schools.

Some of the carib schools will accept you right away, but keep in mind you need to see if their graduates match where you would desire to practice.

I would also like to mention that med school is about studying and dedication. it is hard work and commitment. I have seen people with good undergrad marks and good MCAT , with the ambition of becoming a doctor one day , dropping out of school because they couldn't keep up and they couldn't take it anymore . And I've also seen students that barely made it in the med school ,and no one thought they will last a semester , thriving in school and excelling where everyone else struggled.

Good luck !

Tipton
03-31-2016, 11:00 PM
The only thing I would add is to point out a common myopia on the time frame to gain admission to medical school. Paleo mentioned working backwards based on where you want to practice medicine. If you want to practice in North America your best, first option will continue to be North American MD or DO programs. Not sure why DO is not an option for you. But it should be. The options to attend international medical schools will continue to be available to you, with a predictable decline in quality of outcomes per institution, over time. Right now admission to a North American school is not beyond your reach.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.