PDA

View Full Version : Saba vs auc

ADADOM
02-16-2016, 01:35 PM
I got accepted to SABA for May 2016 class and currently filled out my application for AUC. I was wondering which school would be a better choice... in terms of quality of education more specifically and success rates. I would love to know so I can make the best choice possible in determining the next best step in this journey

Weddell
02-23-2016, 08:21 AM
From what I've seen on the interview trail this year, unless you're from SGU or Ross, it won't make much difference. Check out the match lists from both schools from the last few years.

Paleo2015
02-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Found this on line :

Caribbean Medical Schools Ranking: Which Schools Are Best? (http://www.medicalschoolsuccess.com/top-caribbean-medical-schools/)

Weddell
02-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Ross has the advantage of being well-known and having a ton of graduates, so anecdotally, they've done pretty well on the interview trail. However, I will definitely say that virtually all Ross students I've talked to and lived/worked with complained about how difficult it is to get rotations, especially good ones.

*sigh* Ok, real talk, from a Saba grad who's spoken to, worked and lived with, and befriended people from all schools: Go to AUC. They have a better island, better facilities, and very strong residency matches (if not better, then certainly not any worse than the ones from Saba). Mind you, with enough drive, either school will get you where you want to go, but between the two, I would choose Saba only if you really like the grind (because, oh, how you will grind), or are Canadian and want to have the best chance of matching up north (I don't see a single Canadian match in last year's AUC match list, whereas Saba matches a fair bit, and not just into FM any more). Otherwise, go to AUC, and actually enjoy your time.

(For the record, I am in no way regretting my own decision. I'm proud of my school, it's been good to me, and I have no qualms about recommending it. However, I'm not going to bullshit anyone unless they start paying me, and Saba was the kind of environment where those who thrived were the type A, something-to-prove, study all the time, slightly gunner, High Yield people. I was one of them. Many were not, and their two years of basic science were stressful to say the least.)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.