PDA

View Full Version : Truth and rumors about SGU and AUC attrition rate

Nafrayu
01-20-2016, 12:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I was going to apply to SGU and AUC this year with a STRONG preference for SGU. The debt really frighten me but at the same time I was telling myself that if I perform well I should get a residency because they match 700-800 residency per year and they are the "best carribean med school".

Then I started reading horror stories on blogs. Tons of blogs and video on youtube of people that were kicked out of SGU. Apparently since about 4-5 years, if you get under 70 in ONE class you are dismissed with very low possibility for appeal. Is this true like everyone said ? And is it always like a Damocles sword over your head because it's really hard or do only slackers that are not too serious about it get scores under 70 ? I've also read that classes can be as big as 1500 students and then in the end 700-800 residency.... This frightens me a lot because I'm from a very modest family and if I would be kicked out, my whole life would be destroyed and it would be impossible to ever repay that debt.

Having said that, I'm a generally good student with a GPA of 3.7 out of 4.3, I did 5 internships in different laboratories ranging from bacterial genetic modification to induced pluripotent stem cells. I also have my name as a second author on a 2013 modest scientific paper (Impact factor: 4).

Thank you,

Guillaume

PS: is it any better at AUC ??

thxleave
01-20-2016, 01:07 AM
This is a pretty valid concern. Though... TBH if you were worried about failing classes, you would worry about failing or performing badly on Step 1/2 CK. I am sure AUC is no different in those regards. SGU is failing those students as a favor. Better to fail off the island then to fail Step 2CK at end of 3rd year.

Nafrayu
01-20-2016, 01:39 AM
So you are basically saying that if i'm prepared and good enough to pass the USMLE exam, there is no reason I would fail a course at SGU ? Also is it still valid that SGU have better chances at residency or not anymore ? AUC seems to have invested a lot in their facilities recently. I'm wondering if they also "invested" in their residency position. I saw placement for both .... both get about "80%" but 80% of their graduating student. Is it a hit or miss, or it depends purely on how you performed during your clinical rotations ?

devildoc8404
01-20-2016, 02:03 AM
Studying at a foreign medical school -- if you want to train and work in the US -- is an inherently risky proposition. There is no way around that. The level of risk fluctuates with time (currently seems to be on an upswing), and there are things that you can do to mitigate that risk somewhat, but it does not disappear no matter where you go to school overseas. OK, maybe Oxford and Cambridge and places like that, but you get what I mean.

People fail out of medical school for a lot of reasons, and it is not always because of a lack of functional grey matter. Some people cannot manage their time. Some people have test anxiety. Some people are too lazy to study. Some people are ethical skeeves. In general, someone with the academic chops who is able to maintain a strong work ethic and not freak out over the workload is going to have a high likelihood of doing well and achieving his/her goals. There are no guarantees, however.

texchexmex
02-07-2016, 07:58 PM
SGU is not a good place at all. Stay away. They will take your money and then do everything in their power to force you from the program. Their curriculum structure, assessments, and internal organization are solely there to make money and retain a desirable few, chosen from many, who they have decided will yield the best USMLE scores.

No medical school in the world is this non-transparent, unforgiving, and unfair.

There is a blog post, by Tameer Siddiqui, entitled Why SGU May Not Be for You. Look for it and read it carefully.

RustySputum
02-09-2016, 09:07 PM
There is a blog post, by Tameer Siddiqui, entitled Why SGU May Not Be for You. Look for it and read it carefully.

I just read that blog. It was terribly dramatic. As if cadaver lab will make or break someone's career. SGU gives people who didn't get into American med school a shot at being a doctor. Not getting into an American med school is a sign that there's a chance that this whole doctor thing might not work out. You have to be honest with yourself. Island hopping from med school to med school is something people do, and some of them do become doctors, but I'm not sure it's a difference of school teaching and atmosphere so much as these students having to sit through basic sciences multiple times that the information finally sinks in. I graduated SGU in 2013 without any decels or failures. I honestly didn't *know* what the parameters were for getting kicked out, because I just made sure I wasn't even close to failing. 72% versus 75% or arguing 0.2, 0.3, or 0.5 percentage points - that was not a part of my world. I didn't get all A's by any means, but you have to look closely at the people who are complaining loudly -- they are griping over C grades. Getting a C isn't the end of the world, but moaning over the fact that people are getting dismissed for having an average that is under 75% but not technically failing...that all goes back to SGU giving people a shot when American med schools wouldn't. You have to go into this with open eyes. I am grateful to SGU. It was expensive, but I'm glad we took a chance on each other. To the OP, good luck to you. I would definitely look into DO schools as well as Caribbean, just because the tide seems to be turning and, when it comes to a lot of residency programs, DOs are favored over Caribbean MDs. And, to be honest, I don't think program directors stratify Caribbean MDs the way people do here. We're all kind of lumped together. So as long as you go to a Caribbean school that is reputable, I think you'll be okay.

thxleave
02-10-2016, 12:58 AM
I just read that blog. It was terribly dramatic. As if cadaver lab will make or break someone's career. SGU gives people who didn't get into American med school a shot at being a doctor. Not getting into an American med school is a sign that there's a chance that this whole doctor thing might not work out. You have to be honest with yourself. Island hopping from med school to med school is something people do, and some of them do become doctors, but I'm not sure it's a difference of school teaching and atmosphere so much as these students having to sit through basic sciences multiple times that the information finally sinks in. I graduated SGU in 2013 without any decels or failures. I honestly didn't *know* what the parameters were for getting kicked out, because I just made sure I wasn't even close to failing. 72% versus 75% or arguing 0.2, 0.3, or 0.5 percentage points - that was not a part of my world. I didn't get all A's by any means, but you have to look closely at the people who are complaining loudly -- they are griping over C grades. Getting a C isn't the end of the world, but moaning over the fact that people are getting dismissed for having an average that is under 75% but not technically failing...that all goes back to SGU giving people a shot when American med schools wouldn't. You have to go into this with open eyes. I am grateful to SGU. It was expensive, but I'm glad we took a chance on each other. To the OP, good luck to you. I would definitely look into DO schools as well as Caribbean, just because the tide seems to be turning and, when it comes to a lot of residency programs, DOs are favored over Caribbean MDs. And, to be honest, I don't think program directors stratify Caribbean MDs the way people do here. We're all kind of lumped together. So as long as you go to a Caribbean school that is reputable, I think you'll be okay.

I finally read the blog. I followed the blog for a while, and when she decel. I had a hunch she might not make it, since it seems like she spent a lot of time on the blog. Yeah not saying you gotta be a robot on the island, but actually you pretty much have to. There are some rockstars that can balance lifestyle in basic science, but for most people.....the hobbies take a backburner.

On interview trail right now. I really don't notice any difference of number of interviews between me, ross, and AUC kids to be honest. Rotations are the same. We share hospitals with a lot of carib kids.

DOs are favored over caribbean MDs is a huge understatement. Lol...

RustySputum
02-10-2016, 07:41 AM
I finally read the blog. I followed the blog for a while, and when she decel. I had a hunch she might not make it, since it seems like she spent a lot of time on the blog. Yeah not saying you gotta be a robot on the island, but actually you pretty much have to. There are some rockstars that can balance lifestyle in basic science, but for most people.....the hobbies take a backburner.

On interview trail right now. I really don't notice any difference of number of interviews between me, ross, and AUC kids to be honest. Rotations are the same. We share hospitals with a lot of carib kids.

DOs are favored over caribbean MDs is a huge understatement. Lol...
Good luck on the trail! One thing I have noticed after matching into fellowship is that DOs tend to have a disadvantage at some of the snootier institutions. A lot of DOs in my program were not interviewed at certain places for fellowship because they were DO, which was sad because they were awesome. I think that'll change eventually.

And with regard to the blogger, I don't think she was prepared for how big SGU is. I think that, for the size, they try to accommodate people and their difficulties, but the school is also a bit of a factory, and they can't individualize everything for everyone. I'm happy that they let a lot of people in, because I think if their standards were higher, I might not have gotten in (I was kind of lazy in college). But they let people in knowing that some may not cut it. And rather than let them pass through basic sciences with all C's only to barely pass Step 1 or fail multiple times and then not get a residency...it's tough.

hopeless13
02-21-2016, 07:27 AM
heres another reality for you. Even after you make it through basic sciences you might still fail step 1, ck , or cs. That in itself isn't the end of the world - but if you fail more than 1 it might be.

and then you are really in a hole. giant debt and no way to get out. no way to get residence. few options for employment.

years ago when I graduate from sgu before I failed ck 3x I didn't realize one day bankruptcy would be my best option - but now it is.

Curious_person
02-21-2016, 01:06 PM
SGU is not a good place at all. Stay away. They will take your money and then do everything in their power to force you from the program. Their curriculum structure, assessments, and internal organization are solely there to make money and retain a desirable few, chosen from many, who they have decided will yield the best USMLE scores.

No medical school in the world is this non-transparent, unforgiving, and unfair.

An argument can be made that Tameer spent a lot of time blogging then keeping up with her work to make sure she got through her pre clinicals. She even mentioned that could have played a role.

But I would definitely say Tameer shows the reality of SGU that I honestly didn't know that well. I've met people who have graduated in recent years and those who have graduated 5 years ago. It's a Carib school that needs to be thoroughly researched before one considers to go there because asking someone who went there 5-10 years ago won't give you an accurate representation of what it is today. From what I hear, it has changed. They said it has become more of a "business" than an education and it started to become obvious about 3-4 years ago. I do remember SGU having a great reputation about 10-15 years ago when being from the Caribbean wasn't a huge deal. Sadly, nowadays coming from the Caribbean has become more risky. I remember running into some Carib med schools a few months ago at a hospital and overhearing more than a few of them saying how nervous they were about matching because of all the stories they keep hearing.

thxleave
02-22-2016, 10:58 PM
heres another reality for you. Even after you make it through basic sciences you might still fail step 1, ck , or cs. That in itself isn't the end of the world - but if you fail more than 1 it might be.

and then you are really in a hole. giant debt and no way to get out. no way to get residence. few options for employment.

years ago when I graduate from sgu before I failed ck 3x I didn't realize one day bankruptcy would be my best option - but now it is.

I think that's more of a Canadian option. Federal student loans for US grads can't be declared bankruptcy.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.