PDA

View Full Version : Internship or Residency for non-EU or International medical graduates

lisa1921
01-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Hello Everyone :)

I am an indian, currently studying in a medical college in Malaysia. I am going to graduate in 2017. I am kind of in a huge trouble now, you see I cant do my internship in Malaysia because I am a foreign student and I cant do it in India also as because our degree is a twinning program. I was wondering, is it possible for me to do my medical internship anywhere else in the world except for US UK ? And how should I apply? I also want to do my postgraduation in Pediatrics. And I am thinking of doing a residency in pediatrics in Germany or any other European countries who will accept my degree. But to apply for that what should I do? How should I apply and through whom?
Looking forward to your kind replies. Please please help me in this :(

devildoc8404
01-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Hello Everyone :)

I am an indian, currently studying in a medical college in Malaysia. I am going to graduate in 2017. I am kind of in a huge trouble now, you see I cant do my internship in Malaysia because I am a foreign student and I cant do it in India also as because our degree is a twinning program. I was wondering, is it possible for me to do my medical internship anywhere else in the world except for US UK ? And how should I apply? I also want to do my postgraduation in Pediatrics. And I am thinking of doing a residency in pediatrics in Germany or any other European countries who will accept my degree. But to apply for that what should I do? How should I apply and through whom?
Looking forward to your kind replies. Please please help me in this :(

For the record, it is more than a little late to be considering this issue now... but certainly not as late as some, and hopefully not TOO late. But this is the kind of stuff that needs to be considered before starting a program, rather than a year before graduation. Just as a little tidbit for anyone reading this who has not started yet, I mean.

If you only have Indian citizenship, then quite frankly training in Europe is going to be difficult. Not impossible (well, actually pretty impossible in a lot of EU countries), but fairly damn difficult. The US is already quite challenging and becoming more so, that is apparently already known to you based on your post. The UK is probably out because you are not an EU/UK citizen.

Most locations in Europe (France, Holland, etc.) are also not going to hire a non-EU applicant. Germany MIGHT give you a shot, if you speak fluent German (B2 at a bare minimum, C1/C2 preferred) and can show that you are able to integrate well into German society. You would need to work with a German recruiter, most likely, and they will not talk with you until you are already speaking the language -- and unless are within easy striking distance for traveling to interviews. They will not pay thousands of Euros to bring applicants in from other continents when they have more than enough applicants from Eastern Europe and other closer locations, it makes no financial sense for them.

The Nordic countries, especially Sweden, do not have training positions as a rule for non-citizens, but once you are trained in a specialty they may be willing to hire you to come work there. I know some people who have done this in a variety of capacities, but residency itself in Sweden is not happening for a foreigner.

You will have a lot of hoops to jump through to make a German training position happen with a Malaysian degree, but none of those can even be considered unless/until you can speak the language. So get cracking -- there are plenty of details on the steps here on VMD, just do a search and read up.

Also, 1) finding and 2) falling in love with and 3) marrying an EU citizen would simplify your life a lot, opening up much of the EU to you (depending on your language fluencies)... but please, for the love of Ed "Too Tall" Jones, do not try the stupid "marriage of convenience" bullcrap. It will bite you in the butt.

Good luck to you.

lisa1921
01-18-2016, 02:38 AM
For the record, it is more than a little late to be considering this issue now... but certainly not as late as some, and hopefully not TOO late. But this is the kind of stuff that needs to be considered before starting a program, rather than a year before graduation. Just as a little tidbit for anyone reading this who has not started yet, I mean.

If you only have Indian citizenship, then quite frankly training in Europe is going to be difficult. Not impossible (well, actually pretty impossible in a lot of EU countries), but fairly damn difficult. The US is already quite challenging and becoming more so, that is apparently already known to you based on your post. The UK is probably out because you are not an EU/UK citizen.

Most locations in Europe (France, Holland, etc.) are also not going to hire a non-EU applicant. Germany MIGHT give you a shot, if you speak fluent German (B2 at a bare minimum, C1/C2 preferred) and can show that you are able to integrate well into German society. You would need to work with a German recruiter, most likely, and they will not talk with you until you are already speaking the language -- and unless are within easy striking distance for traveling to interviews. They will not pay thousands of Euros to bring applicants in from other continents when they have more than enough applicants from Eastern Europe and other closer locations, it makes no financial sense for them.

The Nordic countries, especially Sweden, do not have training positions as a rule for non-citizens, but once you are trained in a specialty they may be willing to hire you to come work there. I know some people who have done this in a variety of capacities, but residency itself in Sweden is not happening for a foreigner.

You will have a lot of hoops to jump through to make a German training position happen with a Malaysian degree, but none of those can even be considered unless/until you can speak the language. So get cracking -- there are plenty of details on the steps here on VMD, just do a search and read up.

Also, 1) finding and 2) falling in love with and 3) marrying an EU citizen would simplify your life a lot, opening up much of the EU to you (depending on your language fluencies)... but please, for the love of Ed "Too Tall" Jones, do not try the stupid "marriage of convenience" bullcrap. It will bite you in the butt.

Good luck to you.

Thank you kind Doctor for your reply. I understand I am going to face alot of difficulties but no I am only gonna marry an indian when its time ��. I am also looking for MPH degrees in Scandinavian countries to get a degree plus study for usmle meanwhile. Do you think it will be useful? Will this degree help my chances of getting internship/residency in Germany?

devildoc8404
01-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Thank you kind Doctor for your reply. I understand I am going to face alot of difficulties but no I am only gonna marry an indian when its time ��.

Um, OK?

I mean, marry whoever you want. (I know, cultural thing. Never mind.)

I am also looking for MPH degrees in Scandinavian countries to get a degree plus study for usmle meanwhile.

There are excellent universities there, certainly -- one of my former attendings is going to do a year in Sweden. However, remember that studying properly for the USMLE is generally a pretty all-encompassing endeavor (especially for foreign grads), and one that usually leaves little discretionary time for things like graduate studies at world-class universities. More power to you if you are able to manage both with aplomb, but that is probably beyond the scope of most students' realities.

Do you think it will be useful? Will this degree help my chances of getting internship/residency in Germany?

Well, a Swedish degree looks terrific on the CV. It will not hurt in looking for work as a pediatric resident in Germany, certainly, but if you cannot speak fluent German it will be like wearing a really-really-really cute outfit to an interview... looks super nice, but it will not be the thing that gets you the job. The German hospitals want to know first and foremost that you can communicate with patients and take good care of them medically. The rest is window dressing, and will be considered once they are assured that you meet those first two criteria.

lisa1921
01-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Hmmm thanks senior Doctor :) It was quite helpful. What about the Oceania countries like Fiji and Somoa etc etc....will they have internsip positions for foreign graduates like me? �� I saw that they have internship programs for medical graduates but they didn't state anywhere if they accepts foreign graduates or not. I tried to email them and haven't received any replies yet :(

devildoc8404
01-24-2016, 05:27 AM
I am just a resident, not a senior doctor.

Wow... Fiji and Samoa? I have no idea, but you are certainly looking far and wide.

Be sure to let us know what they have to say, should you hear anything back.

lisa1921
01-24-2016, 05:47 AM
Ok Doctor ��

axiomofchoice
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Thank you kind Doctor for your reply. I understand I am going to face alot of difficulties but no I am only gonna marry an indian when its time ��. I am also looking for MPH degrees in Scandinavian countries to get a degree plus study for usmle meanwhile. Do you think it will be useful? Will this degree help my chances of getting internship/residency in Germany?

If only members of your own race qualify to be your spouse, why don't you focus your efforts on practicing in India...

I and most of the western world, where you intend to practice (for whatever reason), find this view offensive.

lisa1921
01-24-2016, 11:21 PM
My degree isn't recognized in India because its a twinning program. That's y I am looking for alternatives. I didnt say anything offensive in my replies earlier.

leadsled
01-25-2016, 12:50 AM

lisa1921
01-25-2016, 01:45 AM
Isn't that just a research article? :l

leadsled
01-25-2016, 08:58 AM

leadsled
01-25-2016, 09:14 AM

devildoc8404
01-26-2016, 05:48 AM
My degree isn't recognized in India because its a twinning program. That's y I am looking for alternatives. I didnt say anything offensive in my replies earlier.

Unfortunately, lisa1921, although you may not recognize it, you did say something that can be construed as offensive. That is precisely why I responded as I did. You said "I understand I am going to face alot of difficulties but no I am only gonna marry an indian when its time" -- in other parts of the world this is viewed as ethnocentric and offensive. I realize it may be considered a cultural value where you are from, but if you are looking to practice medicine in the rest of the world, you need to be sensitive to the fact that not everyone operates under such a belief system.

Indeed, if a certain US presidential candidate were to say "I am only gonna marry a Caucasian-American when its time" he would be skewered in the news. Many of his right-leaning supporters might agree with him, but within Western society at large that is considered a racist sentiment.

lisa1921
01-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Ohh I am sorry then :( I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was only saying with regard to my culture. I wasn't being racist. In our culture parents and relatives usually wants the young ones to marry someone of at least the same ethnicity if not from the same state speaking the same state language. I am sorry if I sounded wrong to you.

devildoc8404
01-26-2016, 09:41 AM
No worries, lisa1921.

I certainly was not under the impression that you were attempting to be racist or offensive, and am aware of the differences in cultural norms. Just remember that they will be viewed differently as your world expands to include other countries. I mean, you can choose to marry whoever you want, Indian or otherwise... but the automatic exclusion of people based on their ethnicity -- or at least, the outward expression of such a mindset -- will often not land on compassionate ears.

Good luck finding a landing spot for residency after graduation.

shaail
01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
I am sorry but this may sound irrelevant to this thread. But I will greatly appreciate if someone could help with even tiny bit of information regarding a problem I am faced with. I am a doctor (undergraduate) from an Asian country, currently practicing medicine in my country. I was planing for USA residency and I got diagnosed with HIV. I am on treatment and virally undetectable. Now I am lost in an ocean , even though medicine has been my passion I am not even sure I can get further training in this field in any country. I am considering either Germany or give a shot for the USMLE. Does anyone out here have any information regarding this kind of problem. Do you think I stand a chance to say, secure a job and do training in a specialty such as pediatrics. How will it play out for me if I moved along the German pathway . Will this be a reason to deny me a chance.

Crystal_doll
05-08-2019, 08:56 AM
lisa1921 can u plz share ur wat u did further . if u found any internship program etc. i am in a similar situation as you. plz do reply

Crystal_doll
05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
lisa1921 can u plz share ur experience wat u did further . if u found any internship program etc. i am in a similar situation as you. plz do reply

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.