PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with memorization

PatoKw
01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Hello everybody,

so i am a first year medical student who just finished his first half ( first semester ) of the first year. Infact, that does not count as huge progress cause the medical system in my country is based on 7-8 years..

so anyways, ever since high school.. I've been having problems with memorization? guess why? it's not because my memory is weak.. it's because I don't know how memorization works!! so what I do is follow a way of memorization that takes alot of time and is making my medical future in doubt! what I do is repeat every single piece of information that requires memorization 3 times because I don't know how people do it so I just do that.. I know about the memorization techniques such as visualising and imagining, which is the first step.. but after I made an imagination for the concept i'm studying I'd wonder how do I insert it into my mind? do I just think of it once and then I won't forget it? or do I just say it loud 1 time? Or do I just follow my way and repeat it 3 times?

Why am I considering this a problem? that's because I always take very long times studying materials that require memorization. Infact on my first semester.. the memorization part was like only 10% because we only had biophysics and chemistry.. but when it comes to memorizing things on those subjects such as laws in biophysics, applications on chemistry such as " Beta radiations are often used in medical diagnostics ", etc all I do is repeat 3 times and that takes hell lot of time!

So yeah I really need some clue here why do I keep repeating the problem that's because the second semester is starting in 10 days and if I don't sort this problem out I'll fail medical school because on the next semester we will finally take materials that require lots of memorization! thanks all in advance

Paleo2015
01-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Hello everybody,

so i am a first year medical student who just finished his first half ( first semester ) of the first year. Infact, that does not count as huge progress cause the medical system in my country is based on 7-8 years..

so anyways, ever since high school.. I've been having problems with memorization? guess why? it's not because my memory is weak.. it's because I don't know how memorization works!! so what I do is follow a way of memorization that takes alot of time and is making my medical future in doubt! what I do is repeat every single piece of information that requires memorization 3 times because I don't know how people do it so I just do that.. I know about the memorization techniques such as visualising and imagining, which is the first step.. but after I made an imagination for the concept i'm studying I'd wonder how do I insert it into my mind? do I just think of it once and then I won't forget it? or do I just say it loud 1 time? Or do I just follow my way and repeat it 3 times?

Why am I considering this a problem? that's because I always take very long times studying materials that require memorization. Infact on my first semester.. the memorization part was like only 10% because we only had biophysics and chemistry.. but when it comes to memorizing things on those subjects such as laws in biophysics, applications on chemistry such as " Beta radiations are often used in medical diagnostics ", etc all I do is repeat 3 times and that takes hell lot of time!

So yeah I really need some clue here why do I keep repeating the problem that's because the second semester is starting in 10 days and if I don't sort this problem out I'll fail medical school because on the next semester we will finally take materials that require lots of memorization! thanks all in advance

It took me a while to figure out how to study and remember what I studied !
Everyone advised (old school method) to read it at least three times and try to memorize it. Well, that did not work out for me. I just couldn't keep doing something that it did not make sense to me.
So, I finally came up with the method that works best for me. i read the material for the class ahead, then during the class I take the notes and try to absorb that info as much as I can, then after the class I review my notes and summarize the lecture . By summarizing , I mean trying to put down on paper the highlights of the lecture and even sketching some parts , all this in one page only. To make it concise/structured and ready for me to review it before the exam.

As you can see, I kind of review the material three times during the lecture period and one more time (time permitting) before the exam. But in a different way than the old fashion way of memorizing it 3 times .

This is the only way I was able to pull through 2 semesters (so far), but with good results I might add.
it takes a lot of effort and dedication, but you will figure it out if you are persistent and don't give up.
Do not despair, everyone goes through the same issues. Try to figure out which way works out for you and stick with it.

Good luck !

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.